(Closed) Anyone (& their SO) estranged from an in-law?

posted 8 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Things are awkward with DH’s dad. He’s on his third marriage with his “real” family…he walked out on Darling Husband, his mom, and his sister 24 years ago when he was 2. There’s always some serious awkwardness at MAJOR family events like weddings. Nothing too horrible, but I wouldn’t exactly say I have a Father-In-Law. 

My mom and my dad’s mom were relatively estranged because my grandma J was very racist and my mom is half korean so there was ALWAYS some bad blood there. She’d walk around the house in white gloves and tell my mom how awful of a housewife she was and would talk bad about “the chinks” and people “like them” and make up stuff about my brother and I, saying she was a bad woman for not being able to control us. Caused lots of problems.

Post # 4
175 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

My bio father became physically abusive and an addict after marrying my mother. Luckily, she was smart and ran away after I was born.

He owes her thousands of dollars in child support and the only time I met him was when he was arrested for not paying child support and brought back to California for trial. He told me that he’d been through rough times, but he wanted to be a good father and was going to fly me out to visit every summer (I know now he only offered that b/c he thought visitation would lower his child support.) Then he lost the trial, of course, and since then quit every job as soon as child support started getting deducted. Basically, he’s a selfish ass hole that was never apart of my life in a positive way.

Anyways, right after I was engaged he added me on facebook and sent me a lenthy message about how he’s a changed man and I don’t know the whole story of what happened and how he wanted to WALK ME DOWN THE AISLE. Oh helllll no.

Needless to say we are now officially “estranged”

Post # 5
144 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

My fiance’s father and brother won’t be at the wedding.  He stopped speaking to his father almost 20 years ago (he left when fiance was a toddler).  He’s told me stories about him I can’t believe and frankly, I don’t need to meet the man.  FSIL & Future Brother-In-Law cannot be in same room together and since he’s close to his sister (I am too) and not his brother, the choice was obvious.  I’m dreading the moment I have to be around Future Brother-In-Law (only see him maybe once a year if that) because he is totally the type to make snippy rude remarks.  It should be boatloads of fun!!  Thankfully this is only mildly awkward with Future Mother-In-Law since she’s pretty hands off.  I love his family like my own, but I come from a tightknit, albeit disfunctional, family, so the estrangements are taking some getting used to.

Post # 6
1641 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I’ve never met my soon to be Father-In-Law. HBe and hubby to be have not spoken to one another in over 7 years. Evidently, he can be a horrible excuse for a human. You know, the type that kicks a dog.

On the flip side, I LOVE his mother and consider her a close friend.

Post # 7
7431 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

My father’s entire side of the family. I had posted this before, but his parents were not nice people, and tried to buy our love and got very angry when we would cry to go to our grandma’s house (mom’s mom) 5 blocks away. Never abusive, just never understood why we didn’t like them.  I still cant believe they are my father’s parents, cuz my daddy is so wonderful. So basically, they said some very messed up things about my mom when she was pregnant with my sister (guess what that could have been?) and told my dad he had to choose between us and them. He chose us and never looked back. That was 20 years ago.  I can’t say that I miss them a bit, i’m just glad my dad knew what was best and chose us. He doesn’t regret it either. Sometimes you just have to walk away from the toxicity in your life in order to keep your sanity

Post # 8
2867 posts
Sugar bee

Actually, I’m estranged to both of my parents.  My mom left my sister and I with my dad when we were very small (1 and 2, respectively).  I know why she left him:  the abuse and she was enduring some mental illness, I think.  My dad would verbally and physcially abuse my sister and me, it wasn’t until a year ago that I finally cut my ties because I couldn’t handle it anymore.  He was controlling my life and becoming increasingly paranoid.  The situation finally snapped when at a beloved aunt’s funeral, he screamed at my sister and I, the rest of the family, and walked out without telling anyone where he went.  My mother never paid child support, and my father wasn’t supporting me during college so I feel no obligation to them for what they did and did not do for my sister and me.  Luckily my fiance’s family is very supportive and understanding of my situation.  I can’t wait until I have a steady job, get some good counseling.

Post # 9
1585 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I do not get along with my bio dad.  My parents divorced when I was 6.  I had to spend every other weekend with him until I was 12.  He married a woman who I have re-named “The Wicked Witch of the West”  The older I got the harder my relationship was becoming.  She seriously treated my sister and I how the evil step mom treated Cinderella. (cleaning the house, scrubbing the floors you name it, i’ve done it)  When I started to realise what she was doing I stopped talking to her and I would only see my dad once a week for dinner.   Our relationship is completely superficial which is fine with me.

What I found out later is that his wife sucessfully weeded my sister and me out of my dad’s life.  (Not that my dad is a great person, he is a manulipitave ass hole) Since I got engaged he has called me twice.  (we got engaged aug 09)  

Fiance and I decided that he will be invited to the wedding as a guest.  He will not walk me down the aisle or do any speeches.  I mentioned his name in the program and that is it.  I will be passing info through my cousin that it is probably not a good idea that he bring his wife.

Post # 10
246 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

My fiance and I are sort of estranged from my FSMIL.. We dated years back, and we were each others’ “firsts” and when she found out she flipped, accused me of being a whore in front of both of my parents, told him he was never to see me again and we ended up splitting up.. She kicked him out multiple times while he was in high school, once for just making his little brothers (who were about 3 and 4 at the time) lunch and giving them a popsicle.. She abuses drugs, cheats on FI’s father, doesn’t do anything at all to take care of her sons (which are 5 and 6 now), and just overall is a bad person.. She had the temerity to ask me the last time I saw her if I “forgave her yet.” That’ll probably always be a sore relationship whenever it comes to her..

Post # 11
447 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

My husband and I just decided to cut all communication with my father. He has had no respect for me my entire life, even during the wedding and after. He doesn’t apologize for anything, even when my parents called my husband (then my fiance) a liar. My mother did apologize, just to note. He’s tried to control me and my decisions and tries to pull it off as being nice or concerned. He’s a manipulator and unfortunately is good at it. He also has other issues that I won’t discuss here, but he always uses them as an excuse for why I make certain decisions, such as moving out of state. My father will not be seeing his grandchild because of this.

Luckily, though it was my decision to make, my husband completely supports my decision. It’s only been about a week, so I don’t know if there’s room for reconciliation yet. If so, it won’t be for a long time. As of now, I am proud of my decision and felt actual relief when it was official. We tried meditation with a counselor, and when that didn’t work, that was it.

Post # 12
56 posts
Worker bee

My Fiance hasn’t seen his bio mother since he was 21 (he’s now 30). His parents got divorced when he was four and he lived some time with her. Then he went with his mother and his new mom (who is super nice) and saw his bio mom again when he was 8, 12, 14, 21. The last two times she said she’d write but never did. She remarried and had children. I don’t know how a mother could leave her baby and not care what happens to him. This has affected my Fiance very much.

Post # 13
1560 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

My SO’s dad is insane. I’ve seen him only 3 times in 4 years, wouldn’t be able to pick him out on the street. My SO has only seen him once in the last 4 years! He left my SO’s mom after 32 years of marriage because he met a woman online. Moved halfway across the country and it only lasted 6 months. He’s a horrible alcoholic and used to do a lot of drugs (not sure if he does now, but wouldn’t surprise me), he’s sent me the WEIRDEST presents. Seriously. For Christmas last year I got an LED light-up cube with a 3-d picture of my SO in it…he thought it would be “nice” for me to have since my SO works out of town a lot. Creeptastic. I have pictures, I don’t need a 3-d nightlight of his face! He’s been really weird though, denies all abuse and even his drinking from the past. We’re debating on whether we should even invite him. I would much rather him not be there and so would my SO but he feels like his family would be upset, and they would, but I can’t imagine how awkward it will be since we’re getting married in the same church his parents were. Oh the stories I could tell. I am SOOOOOOO thankful for his mom and sister though, I could not have gotten luckier. And to be very honest, my family is super kick-ass so we’re well cared for 😉

Post # 14
2867 posts
Sugar bee

@sillysil:  Yeah, I wonder the same thing about my mother.  I can count on one hand how many times I’ve talked to her.  She never sent birthday or christmas cards, and it’s not like my address or phone changed growing up.  She left two babies and apparently she also left her three prior children from a previous marriage.

Post # 15
56 posts
Worker bee

I am so sorry @beekiss2, I really am. I think some people just don’t have souls. I cannot understand this.

Post # 16
2867 posts
Sugar bee

@sillysil:  Thanks, and for your fiance’s sake, I hope he can get some good counseling if he feels inclined 🙂

The topic ‘Anyone (& their SO) estranged from an in-law?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors