(Closed) Anyone allergic to their platinum ring?

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
361 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I have a pretty bad allergy to nickel too.  I can really only wear silver and gold. I actually wanted white gold, and then we had the option to upgrade, my FH really wanted to upgrade, so we did.  I never even though about a potential allergry to platinum.  Thankfully, I do not!!

At one point, there was one small bump, that I got really nervous about (about 6 months after I started wearing it), but it went away within a week.  I have been engaged since Oct with no problems!

Post # 4
446 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I’m allergic to nickel & silver but wear any gold 14k or higher and platinum without an issue.  Hopefully that helps you!

Post # 5
562 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 1993

I know people that have skin reactions to gold, therefore, they went with the platinum for their rings.  I don’t anyone that has had an allegic reaction to platinum.  

Post # 6
3688 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

No worries! Platinum comes in either 950 or 900 — 95% or 90% pure platinum. The other 5-10% depends on who’s making it, but it’s always ruthenium, iridium, and I think there’s one more they will cut it with — never nickel.

I’m allergic to nickel, my ring is platinum, and I have NO problems. Platinum is great too, because you don’t lose metal over time like with gold.

Post # 7
3688 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Found a good link explaining: http://www.pricescope.com/journal/overview_common_alloys_used_jewelry

There are 4 platinum alloys commonly used in the USA.

  1. Pt900/Ir = 900 parts platinum, 100 parts Iridium
  2. Pt950/Ir = 950 parts platinum, 50 parts Iridium
  3. Pt950/Ru = 950 parts platinum, 50 parts Ruthenium
  4. Pt950/Co = 950 parts platinum, 50 parts Cobalt

If you’re still worried, I do have two platinum bands I picked up off eBay. One isn’t stamped, and the only real confirmation I have on either one is from the sellers who said they tested as platinum. They feel similar weight to my engagement ring, so I’m pretty sure they are platinum. I could lend you one for awhile if you’re worried!

Post # 8
2734 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I’m really allergic to nickel, even from jean buttons, and platinum is just great on my skin. I’m also ok with white gold and silver. Platinum is so beautiful too!!! Love the satin look it gets after wearing it for a while.

Post # 9
34 posts
  • Wedding: April 2014

I am allergic to nickel and silver.  I can wear 24k gold, palladium and platinum.  I decided on palladium for my engagment ring, much cheaper alternative to platinum!

Post # 10
204 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Platinum is not alloyed with nickel, so it should be fine. Love platinum.

Palladium is a less expensive option.

Post # 11
905 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

I’m terriby allergic to nickel (ears swelling and turning green, with cheap rings my fingers turn green and scaly/peeling, etc.) and I have had zero problems with my platinum engagement ring. I’ve been wearing it since August with absolutely no skin reaction. It’s anecdotal evidence, but I hope it helps.


Post # 13
2070 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Everything I have read about platinum says it is hypoallergenic. Same for palladium. I think you can also get white gold made with a palladium alloy for more sensitive skin. You should be fine!

Post # 14
8692 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I haven’t had any issues with my platinum ring (knock on wood). I wouldn’t chance the white gold unless you can find someone who uses palladium instead of nickel, but that’s not very common unfortunately.

Post # 15
114 posts
Blushing bee

Does the nickle allergy run in your family? All the women in my family have it and it seems to get progressively worse with age. My grama can now barely handle coins without breaking out on her palms.


I used to be completely fine, but now I have the same problem with earrings as you do! I can no longer wear silver earrings, and even gold will irritate them after a few hours. However I’m still totally fine wearing silver rings, I have a few that are on me 24/7 and no issues so far. But in another 10-20 years I may no longer be able to wear them. So I would go with platinum just to be safe!!

Post # 16
7311 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

I have a nickle allergy (swollen ears that ooze), skin turns green and gets itchy from cheap necklaces and rings, etc., and I have no issue with my palladium rings. Palladium is in the same family as platinum, but is a light weight like white gold. I didn’t like the heaviness of platinum, so palladium was a great choice for me. All of the hypoallergenic properties and no need to re-dip, but not heavy to wear. Win!

The topic ‘Anyone allergic to their platinum ring?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors