Anyone do a total 180 on the yellow vs. white gold debate?

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
3452 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

For a long time, I didn’t care for yellow gold and preferred white gold or platinum.  In the past year, I have started to really like yellow gold.  I debated getting it for myself, but Fiance disliked it so I went for palladium.  Right now, I am LOVING rose gold.  I think it looks awesome with my fair skin tone. 

Post # 5
199 posts
Blushing bee

I used to hate yellow gold but in the past year or two I have really come to like it. I especially love rose gold. In my ring we are getting it is a mix or white gold and rose gold

Post # 6
3452 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@Lacelibs:  Oh that is gorgeous!

I just recently had a pink sapphire set in a rose gold ring. I love it.

OP, sorry to thread jack!

Post # 7
452 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I did! I used to be a white metal gal all of the way.  In fact, I never would have even thought I would consider yellow gold. Now, all I wear is yellow gold (minus my cheapy earrings).  Both of my sisters have paler skin than I do (I’m pretty pale!), and I really, really like how yellow gold looks on them.  One of my sisters actually said if she would have tried out yellow gold (she’s tried on my rhr) she probably would have chose yellow gold as well.  Try it out, be warned though, once you go yellow you may never go back (= Best wishes to you and yours!

ETA: I would def. try it before you “commit” though as you mentioned in the op.  While yellow gold is stunning, and I believe it looks great on almost everyone, it isn’t the norm at the moment so be sure you’re a full blown lover of the yellow before you make the plunge. 

Post # 8
5199 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2010

Whether yellow gold or white metals look best on you (or rose gold, etc!) has nothing to do with how pale you are, but rather your undertones.

I am very, very pale. Like natural redhead, always wearing sunblock or I burn in 10 seconds, pale….very very pale.

I look best in yellow golds (and higher karat or less pink rose gold). My undertones are warm.  White metals actually wash me out even further and do nothing at all for my skin. It makes my skin look pastier, whiter and rather sickly, actually! Yellows warm me up. Not only that, but the higher the karatage and richer yellow it is, the better it actually looks on me! Someone with cool undertones on the other hand would find yellow does nothing for them, and look best in white metals.

I have always worn yellow golds, all through my nearly 30 years, until my first wedding band and then wedding set (though still wore yellow gold earrings, etc). I am actually going back to yellow gold now with my new set out of both necessity (allergies) and realizing I like yellow gold more anyway so am not inclined to try other white metals, do not like platinum, etc. and am very, very happy for it! My husband actually said the other day, after he was snuggling and watching me sleep and looking at the yellow gold earrings I had in, that he thinks it is great I am allergic to white gold (nickel version anyway) as yellow gold looks so much better on me anyway! He looks best in white metals though.

The majority of people have cool undertones, though (like 90% or something). Even if they have darker skin. Again, it is all about the undertones.

The best way to tell is to look at the veins on your inner forearm. If they are greenish-yellow, you are warm. If they are blue, you are cool. Also, if you look best in earthy tones, coppers, browns for makeups and clothing, you are likely warm. If you look better in jewel tones, you are cool. If ivory looks better against your face than white, you are warm. Also, just trying on yellow golds will let you know!

Post # 10
2006 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

When we started talking about rings I automatically went toward white, because hey, its whats popular and everywhere.  My RHR at the time (diamond birthstone ring from parents) was white.

However I decided to try on my mom’s wedding ring to see how I liked the yellow, and was sold.  It matches my skin tone, and to me is more “classic” rather than trendy.

I looooove my yellow gold!  I have a round solitaire, talk about the most classic engagement ring 🙂

Go to Jared and try on rings in different colors, or I supposed look at other jewelry if you aren’t comfortable looking at rings, but hold it up against your skin to see.

I don’t feel weird wearing white metals on my right hand with my yellow e-ring, but now days prefer the yellow anyway

Post # 11
5199 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2010

@azure:  i think it is totally fine to mix metals. I mix lots of rose and yellow these days, but before I figured out my allergies, I also mixed whites in there. My former wedding rings were white and I wore yellow rings on right hand, as well as yellow in ears, etc.

Post # 12
1622 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

yellow is definitely best for me although it’s not what I would have picked.  Thankfully my husband is a traditional man and he picked out my ring before I had any idea we were even going to be engaged soon.  He picked out a lovely yellow gold ring for me and it really looks wonderful on me.  I have warm olive skin and yellow looks best on me. 

See?

Post # 13
1140 posts
Bumble bee

I did! I totally thought I would get platinum since it’s the “in” metal finish to use for e rings lately, but at heart I have always been a gold girl. So when i went ring browsing with my mom, she totally changed my mind and was right (like she usually is)- plus it looks better on my skin tone…and i feel its more traditional and classic. My boyfriend also agreed and wants us both to have gold wedding bands. White gold, silver, platinum…most of the time all looks the same to me.

Post # 14
2981 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I used to prefer white metals and actually still DO really like them and wear them, but for my wedding set I wanted yellow gold. Darling Husband was pretty shocked when I told him I wanted yellow, but it looks classic and timeless to me and just screams “I’m married!” Plus, I didn’t want something on my finger that I’d have to rhodium plate every hot minute.

The reaction people give to my ring IRL is pretty funny. I have alot of return patients where I work and they ALL remember my rings and ohh and awe over the yellow gold.

PS: I mix metals constantly. Silver, rose gold, white gold, yellow gold. I’m shameless.

Post # 15
1813 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

I was insistent on having white gold, whereas Darling Husband was just as stubborn on having yellow gold (we both wanted to have matching rings), so in the end we comprimised….(the one on the right..)

Post # 16
224 posts
Helper bee

yep I was in the exact same situation as you until 2 years ago. all i wore was white gold and i used to associate yellow gold with tacky jewellery (over here in the UK, the ‘chavs’ used to be known for their yellow gold hoop earrings and clown pendants).

but that stopped a while back. i found lots of my old jewellery and it was all yellow gold – i tried it on and loved it. i haven’t taken any of it off since.

i love how traditional it is. i love that my mum wears yellow gold, and i hope that one day i can wear her rings as she now wears my grandmothers, and great grandmothers rings.

i have incredibly pale skin and i now 100% believe that yellow gold looks nicer. the contrast is lovely, and i find that white gold tends to ‘blend in’ more.

i also like how it’s become more unusual and i’m not really one for following a crowd!

My SO knows is designing my ring so i don’t get a say in it – but i have made it clear that i want a yellow gold band.

these are the other rings i wear, though.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors