(Closed) Anyone do a total 180 on the yellow vs. white gold debate?

posted 9 years ago in Rings
Post # 32
852 posts
Busy bee

Oh, I did. But unlike most posters who preferred white gold and then changed their minds about yellow gold, I’m the exact opposite.

I’ve always loved and still love yellow gold and every piece of jewellery I own is yellow gold but recently, I’m starting to think white gold/platinum are better for e-rings, wedding bands etc. Based on viewing rings on here, I’m starting to feel like white metals showcase diamonds best and their ‘neutrality’ and colourlessness are good for soemthing that you will literally wear everyday.

For the rest of my jewellery though, I still prefer yellow gold. I’m olive-toned so I think it just looks better on me. I think it’s a cultural thing also since all the jewellery stores here have mainly YG pieces. This may be because of the high % of the population who is of East Indian decent and the fact that they were the first ones to start the jewellery trade here. 

Post # 33
550 posts
Busy bee

I’ve always worn yellow gold, I’ve never liked white gold for me. I’m a super pale redhead (I burn just thinking about the sun. Yay me!) and to me yellow gold it the only thing I want to wear (besides my few pairs of cheap earrings). Fiance got me a white gold ering and I’m still trying to get used to it. Even though I hate mixing metals (I’m very sorry for all of those who do, it’s just me being weird and matchy), my wedding band will be yellow gold. My ering will be the only piece of white gold jewelry I own. 

Post # 34
191 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Yellow doesnt suit me so much as I am so fair.. but I do think gold is more weddingy.. I am seriously considering rose gold because it suits my skin tone, so its the best of both!… now to convince SO who HATES gold 😉

Post # 35
1478 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013 - Creek club at ion, SC

I love yellow gold for my mum. When I was younger all my cousins used to wear huge chunky gold jewelry which really turned me off it on young people. Now I have got my BMs in gold. I used to hate it but now i dont, i just prefer white gold.

Post # 36
543 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

I am pale as a ghost..and I only wear yellow gold jewelry…

Post # 37
742 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

View original reply
@RayKay:  I’ve read that about undertones too. I think mine are neutral. I can’t wear warm things, I look awful in them but too cool and I look awful too. Navy yes, blue toned raspberry is ok, pale pink yes, pale blue no, orange no, lime no yellow no white no. bright colours in any shade look awful. Jewel tones look best. 

Makeup counter ladies always pick cool because i’m very pale, or warm to “give me a glow”- ugh. Either way I look worse than when I arrived! 

I wear mostly white metal. Rose gold can pull too orange and look awful unless it’s very pink. Yellow gold looks very yellow and tacky on me unless it’s that shade of aged darker subdued european gold (I think it’s comparable in colour to green gold). Then it looks fine. 

Post # 38
1831 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Yup. It used to be all yellow for me. I thought it was classier (at the time). Then I read an article about wearing silver/white gold when you have cool skin tones. Yellow gold had only ever looked good on me when I was really tan… which is rare. So just like that, I switched.

Post # 39
268 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I wanted either white gold or titanium until I came across these.  Both my husband and I were sold.  Plus, as the yellow gold gets scratched from regular wear, it becomes less intense I’ve noticed.

Post # 40
452 posts
Helper bee

I was set on platinum. But Fiance picked yellow gold because he saihe when he was a kid he always imagined his wife wearing yellow gold. 🙂

Post # 42
268 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

View original reply
@LumpySpacePrincess:  There’s a tiny goldsmith shop in a little village in the Netherlands called Doorn.  We just ran into them while on a little weekend get away with my husbands folks.

Before we ran into this shop, we’d been all through Amsterdam, Antwerp, etc.  Everything was too blingy or too simple (not that a plain band is bad).

They have beautiful work: http://www.goudsnip.nl/

Post # 44
2355 posts
Buzzing bee

No, I just dont like yellow gold for engagement rings. It reminds me of the 1980s for some reason. I dunno. I really tired to like it cause I didnt want to have to redip my ring and we couldn’t afford anything else, but in the end I couldn’t do it.

That being said I have two cameo rings that I always wear that are 9ct gold. So I mix and match and I still look for victorian rings(which are almost always 9 ct gold).

Post # 45
644 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I always hated yellow gold. So my ering is white gold, because that is what I’ve wanted. Unfortunately, since getting my ering, my opinions on yellow gold have changed. They had already started to change and then I discovered while searching for wedding bands that all I really wanted was a plain, yellow gold, band. However, I have a white gold ring and a blue sapphire ring and it would look HORRIBLE with a yellow gold wedding band. But I’m so so sad because I realized that, to me, nothing says MARRIAGE more than a yellow gold plain band. So I ended up getting a white gold band, but I’m still sort of mourning over that one. I really want a yellow gold band.

Post # 46
1427 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - parent\'s backyard

trends come and go. although it has always been a classic, yellow gold is really in style right now. I love the look of it and have started collecting some plated jewelry (the real thing is too expensive), but I personally wanted my “forever” wedding set to be white gold. 

white gold is not necessarily a recent trend. my e-ring is vintage and it’s white. it doesn’t even need to be plated, the alloy is different from today’s WG. I love it!

The topic ‘Anyone do a total 180 on the yellow vs. white gold debate?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors