(Closed) Anyone do a total 180 on the yellow vs. white gold debate?

posted 9 years ago in Rings
Post # 47
7760 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

Interestingly, white metals have been popular for about 20 years now, and people keep saying that yellow gold is “coming back,” Aside from an ad campaign a year or two ago and a few independent designers (none with lines in major jewelers), there is still very little yellow gold to be found. I had to special order a simple cathedral style in 18K yellow gold because it was only made in WG or platinum. Now that I am looking for an eternity band, I will have to have it ordered as well because there are very slim pickings in yellow gold.

But I have always loved yellow gold. It IS gold in my eyes, as gold is naturally “yellow”. That makes it harder to find jewelry, but I still hold out hope that someday it will be popular and easily available again. Maybe as gold prices come down, as I won’t buy any of the 10K in stores now anyway…

Post # 48
76 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

View original reply
@Cariad:  wow.. beautiful compromise!! I love them! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 49
164 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I have ALWAYS loved yellow gold and told my Fiance since day one that is my colour of choice. And what did he get me? White gold. LOL. It was a family ring so it means the world to me now. I turned the tables on him and now he will get a family wedding band in Yellow Gold. He tried it on and LOVES it. Yellow Gold wins everytime.

Post # 50
164 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

View original reply
@tallierand:  Get a RHR in yellow gold! That way you can get the classic look without having to give it up entirely.

Post # 51
2090 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I have always liked both… I just knew that was not what I wanted for my e-ring. I think I will get some thin yellow gold bands to “stack” with sometimes… I really like both, and they both look fine on my skin….

Post # 52
1896 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@azure:  Yep.  I’m very pale skinned and wiith the exception of my watch all my jewelry was yellow gold, so it seemed natural that I’d go for a yellow gold ring.  Except that somewhere I switched and fell in love with a white gold e-ring.  I’m not sure why but I totally love white gold now, but in recent months I’ve been looking more and more at rose gold… maybe another switch is in the works.

Post # 52
1 posts
Wannabee

It’s obviously all about preference. I always knew I would want a yellow gold ring! And I am wearing a yellow gold Dantela solitaire from Tacori. I don’t necessarily believe in sticking to what looks good on your skin, unless it looks horrible, which I can’t imagine for a beautiful engagement/wedding ring.

I am fair, for reference, it is August, and I am N10 in Bare Minerals (Fairly light) and I would consider myself to be enjoying one of my better tans. I’m neutral-toned, not cool or warm and I love the look of gold jewelry. It’s classic and makes diamonds pop. 

I think over the years I have started seeing white gold as very obvious and standard…to me it doesn’t make the same statement that yellow gold does. Most of my other jewelry is yellow gold, and I hesitate before putting on anything silver or white gold. 

It seems like yellow gold is getting popular again, but I haven’t seen any in person in a long, long time.

Post # 53
12 posts
Newbee

when looking at a jewelry store i always am impressed with the white gold designs especially the tri-color tone… it’s often modern and beautiful… but in asian countries, when it’s tri-color or white gold, its expected to be 14K and not 18K up to 22K… and in most asian/middle east countries, yellow gold is more “noticeable” and people prefer higher karats for investment purposes… i personally feel that when i look at white gold, it looks like fake jewelry or silver because both fake jewelry and silver are rhodium plated…. in most of asia, silver doesn’t come appealing and mostly looked at as just sort of a costume jewelry with no value… 

Post # 54
78 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: City Hall

View original reply
azure :  

Absolutely! I love yellow gold and white gold.That’s why I have two wedding sets lol. One is a solitaire and one has more stones but I really enjoy switching the two out at different times…besides the fact that the solitaire is really old and she needs to “rest” from time to time ๐Ÿ˜‰

Post # 55
653 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2016

In my culture yellow gold is much more common…in fact all of my mother’s jewelry is yellow gold. I did want a white gold wedding set; however, my husband wanted yellow gold for his ring because he grew up seeing yellow gold wedding bands. I ended up getting another yellow gold set which I wear from time to time to match my husband. Yellow gold seems to blend in more with my skin tone, but I really enjoy the stark contrast of the white gold on me. They’re both great!

Post # 56
183 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: City, State

I’m bringing this topic back lol! My original set was yellow gold, eventually went to white gold and now I have a mixed set (best of both worlds) and I match my hubby ๐Ÿ˜Š

Post # 57
27 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2003 - *

I love unplated white gold.  It’s the best of both worlds.  ๐Ÿ™‚

The topic ‘Anyone do a total 180 on the yellow vs. white gold debate?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors