(Closed) Anyone else a student & ever ‘skip’ class?

posted 10 years ago in College
Post # 31
158 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I only miss if I’m not feeling that great so I don’t have to sit through a 4 hour lecture being miserable. Or if I wake up 5 min before classes start.

Post # 32
1642 posts
Bumble bee

Oh please. High school AND college. I can’t believe I actually graduated! (Well…I wasn’t THAT bad haha)

Post # 33
2767 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I think it’s completely fine to skip a class.  Are you in college?  Are you an adult?  Then you can make your own choice and the only one you have to report to is yourself.  As long as you can take responsibility for covering the material you missed then I think you are fine.  Some people never go to class but still keep up with the work and manage to pass!

I will say though that when I taught a college class and the same students were missing week after week I did get a little annoyed.  If you only do it once or twice it’s ok, but if you are gone all the time and your class depends on you working with a partner then your partner gets kind of screwed.

Post # 34
401 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I think a better question would be is has anybody not skipped? Ha.

I definitley take some time off here and there. Mental health days and things. School is stressful and sometimes class is just boring. I calculate out too how many days I can miss if attendance is graded.

Post # 35
1237 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I feel like once you’re in college and an adult, you should be able to determine what you need to do to earn the grades you want. I always thought it was dumb when profs would have attendance policies.

Post # 36
3048 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 1991

I’m in grad school and I skip classes all the time. Ok not ALL the time, but I do skip them whenever I feel like staying with my fiance (he lives in another city). Or sometimes I just feel extremely tired. I skip the ones where I know I won’t miss anything… and just make sure I do the reading. I have no problem skipping ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 37
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I used to do that on occasion.  There’s nothing wrong with doing it every now and again if it doesn’t have a negative impact on your grades.

I’m jealous of you!  I want to take Russian!!!!

Post # 38
947 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I was awful in college, I attended class when I knew something was due or we were having a test.  I discovered I could do well by following the syllabus and reading the material.  However, now, I really regret not attending class more often because in International Relations you do learn alot by the discussions you have with others.  

Post # 39
5117 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I skipped as well, but my college and town were so small that you definitely ran the risk of running into the prof later that day. I usually only bailed when I was leaving to go home (4 hour trip) and most of the profs were more than cool with it. It was a tiny liberal arts college, so everyone new your business anyway. I was just honest and told them I’d be out, so I suppose I wasn’t ‘skipping’ but I sure wasn’t there ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 40
9050 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

In my undergrad they emailed you the power points and then posted recordings of lectures on the internet.  These were 300 person lectures, so it’s not like there was a chance to really interact.

I kind of felt like that was just BEGGING me to skip classes.

Post # 41
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

View original reply
@Amaryllis: That’s why my college has insituted a campus wide attendance policy that professors can toughen up if they care to. I can miss 7 T/Th classes and I believe 11 MWF classes before automatic failure. Less for each if classes do not meet all of the days (like MW classes are 7 and W are maybe 3 or 5).

It’s so hard to get to class sometimes. We’ve had horrible weather (windchill of 3 in Texas, really?!) and getting dresses to go to the liberal arts chem class is just too painful. I haven’t missed a class yet this semester but I’ve been very tempted to do so.

Post # 42
67 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Oh man! I’m in college too, working full time (and ridiculous over time- aka 75 hours a week, every week!) AND taking 16 hours…

You better believe I skip a class every now and then!

Post # 43
620 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’m not in college anymore, but I skipped every now and then.  I definately skipped Art Appreciation (that class was such a joke!) and B.S. classes like that that were required for my major. 

Post # 44
923 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

It’s a habit I’ve worked very hard to get out of, but I used to skip classes as much as I could get away with.  Now I do my best to be at every class.  I feel much less guilty about things.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 45
432 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I took a writing class when my fiance was deployed and I skipped every chance I got ๐Ÿ˜€ I also allowed only a few hours per paper and never got below a B-…… LOL

The topic ‘Anyone else a student & ever ‘skip’ class?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors