(Closed) Anyone else a student & ever ‘skip’ class?

posted 10 years ago in College
Post # 46
104 posts
Blushing bee

I skipped quite a bit in undergrad…much less now that I’m in grad school, which is why I’m not a nazi about it in the classes I teach.  

I put the university’s policy on the syllabus (4 freebies for a 50 min, MWF class) with a sternly worded comment about additional misses lowering the final grade, but I don’t enforce it.  My thing is (for a first year writing class) that if you’re writing at a passing level, I’m not lowering your grade JUST for missing class.  The built-in penalty of un-make-up-able in-class writing and peer review, etc, is enough.  

And honestly, skip days are good once in a while! Swing on the swings, feed the ducks, have sex, whatevs.  Happy students are better, more thoughtful students.  Not unlike the happy cows in California who, I’m told, make the best cheese.

Post # 47
558 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I totally skipped a lot of class in undergrad and a few in grad school.  Now that I’m paying back loans, I regret skipping half of my out of state tuition classes!  But, it’s tough to not skip when you’re tired and it doesn’t really hurt your grades!!

Post # 48
656 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

I skipped a lot in college when I knew it wouldn’t hurt my grade. I went to a high school where it was hard to get away with skipping without getting caught, so I only did it once..and went to the principal for! Never tried again after that! lol

Post # 49
2023 posts
Buzzing bee

I make a point to skip at least one class every semester, makes me feel like a rebel!

Post # 50
6659 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

I used to skip every once in a while and I always felt like a deadbeat, even if I was actually sick. It’s like you can’t drag your butt through the quad for a 1 hour class?

Post # 51
1335 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Oh yeah! The first year of college was the worst haha. But I got better at not skipping after that b/c I just didn’t want to anymore–I guess I grew up and got a little more responsible. And now I would never skip a class. I realized I was over that when I realized how big of a waste of money it is to miss a class I was paying $$$ for.

Post # 52
226 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Oh heavens yes!  Having 8am general eds when I didn’t leave the engineering lab to 3am working on a project, bad combo!  Most embarrasing when I left the lab (all night!) at 9am and ran into my professor leaving from teaching my 8am class and totally called me out.  Whatever, I was in pj’s and what’s an engineer going to do with art appreciation?

Post # 53
1227 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

In undergrad, I used to allow myself two skips for each class for each semester, but I usually only took 1 for each class…and none at all if I really enjoyed the class & liked the prof.

Now that I’m in school again (culinary), I try my damndest not to miss any classes, since they are all pretty much lab classes. If I’m not there, I really do feel like I’m missing out. Plus, the classes are really small, so it’s really easy to see if someone  is missing 😛

Post # 54
40 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2011

When I was in college, I occasionally skipped classes when I was stressed out. I only did it maybe once or twice for classes that I really didn’t like.

The topic ‘Anyone else a student & ever ‘skip’ class?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors