(Closed) Anyone else get an expensive alterations estimate? $500+

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
340 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I paid $600 for my alterations – and they weren’t even that drastic. But, it was a small price in comparison to the cost of the dress, so that is how I looked at it. If you have a $1k dress – I wouldn’t pay that much for alterations.

Post # 4
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

The alterations for my dress were somewhere around $500, which included major bodice work, hemming for several layers uf tulle, an extra corset string (in case of breakage), repositioning of the skirt on the bodice (moved up several inches because of my short waist!), and a three point bustle. Oh – and she will not charge me to steam the dress before the wedding – which typically costs $80 and above.

Try to ignore the price tag and focus more on how reputable the seamstress is.  This person will be handling the most important dress you will ever wear.  It’s worth the price to know you are in good hands!

I have seen nightmare alterations on wedding dresses – so make sure you trust your seamstress.  Get reviews, see the person’s work, etc.

Good luck!

Post # 5
1766 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

That sounds a bit much.  I would get quotes at other places, too.  However, you DO want a good bra that holds up all night, believe me!  Mine looked more funcional than pretty, but it worked.

That place might be more expensive because, as you say, they specialize in bridal and special occasions.  Adding the words “bridal” or “wedding” to a product or service usually adds $$$, too.

Post # 6
685 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Mine isn’t $500+, it’s $450 doesn’t include the bra cups and petticoat. So the break down of $450 is: $220 for 6 layers hem, to take in the dress $100 (the dress is at smallest size 2, but is still loose on me), bustle $95.

Post # 7
5423 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2012

Im being charged $500 too but thats the flat rate from the salon, which sucks for me because I have a simple sheath that will only require hemming and taking it in.

However, I do think its a bit high for you.  Is it another salon? Or like a dry cleaner type place?  especially the $92 bra.

The topic ‘Anyone else get an expensive alterations estimate? $500+’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors