(Closed) Anyone else having an under $5000 wedding?

posted 10 years ago in Money
Post # 17
362 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

We are shooting for between $5,000 and $6,000 and that is to include my dress but probably not our full honeymoon since we are wanting to take a full week caribbean cruise. Haven’t really put any money down yet since we’ve only been”offical” for two weeks lol but this is our estimate right now! 🙂  

Post # 18
3521 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

With the small reception this year AND the bigger one next year (rings and attire included), we’ll still be under $3k. Hell yeah! 🙂

Post # 19
780 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Destination wedding for just the 2 of us on a private island in Jamaica for $4200.  It could have been much less, $3500 but since $5000 was our budget, we upgraded our room and some ammenities.  Wedding, honeymoon,  7 day stay, food, drinks (even alcohol!!!) all included! We are also having a pre wedding send off party for about 20 of our friends and family on a more local beach before we leave for Jamaica!  Kind of a Texas Bar B Que style.  That’s costing us about $500!!

SN: Be sure to research if you need a permit or deposit, etc. for public venues like beaches, parks, museums.  But we found that even if we did, the cost was MUCH less than reception halls or banquet rooms.

Post # 20
7298 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

check out http://www.2000dollarwedding.com 

Very helpful. Our budget is $8-$10k, but I’m using a lot of ideas from that blog to keep costs down. We are skill swapping. We just got our photographer for half the cost  because Fiance is a graphic/website designer. We are skipping the traditional hotel ballroom or banquet facility. Those costs add up. Since we are getting married in a garden, we don’t have to decorate much. 

Research research research. One tent rental company quoted me almost $2000 for a tent. I found a rental company in a small town across the border for a fraction of the cost. It was the same tent and even with the delivery charge, it’s still under $1000. 

Post # 21
1641 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

We’re at about $5000. for a budget. But,w e are having a very small wedding.

One thing I’ve heard over and over is to can the cake. Wedding cake is insanely overpriced and most of it goes right into the trash! You can save a lot by going with a different dessert, one from your restaurant or caterer. We met a woman who was a wedding planner and this was her “best piece of advice”.

Definitely go to bridal expos. I picked up a coupon at one and ended upsaving $125 on my dress by booking an appointment right at the expo.

How many attendants do you have? I am fortunate that I only have 1. WE bought her dress at Macy’s at the end of the season. The original price was $165. Because it was end of season, it was marked down twice, then I had a coupon. So her dress ended up being $32.

Another thing I did was joined a hotel points club. You gert points for nights, for signing up for their credit card, etc. We used the credit card for points (paying it off every month, of course) and we have now earned enough for a free night at the hotel we are staying at- and a suite at that!

I also belong to mypoints.com. You earn points for purchases, and for reading email advertisements. I saved up points and earned enough to get a free $100 Macy’s card. I am getting my wedding makeup done there, at the Mac counter. So, I’ll be getting my makeup and my MOHs makeup done for free, plus we get $50 worth of makeup each. For free!

Post # 22
780 posts
Busy bee

Also….don’t be afraid to negotiate.  The worst that could happen is the vendor could say “no”.  **shoulder shrugs** Fiance and I are getting our photography package which is normally $1500 for $850 because we just sent an email to photographers we liked online and asked.  Some said no, but we were very pleasantly surprised at the amount of photogs who said yes.   We did the same with some other aspects of the wedding as well.

Our wedding date is on a Thursday, 7/21/2011.  The non-traditional day outside of Saturday or Sunday is not for everyone, but it gave Fiance and I alot of wiggle room when negotiating.  Just another option. 

Post # 23
780 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@future.mrs.schechter:I should have read your post b4 giving my advice.  LOL.  So yes, I can second the notion of approaching vendors to negotiate the price of services.

Fiance and I sat down and thought of the type of package we would need in photogs and thought what a fair price would be.  We then drafted an email and sent it to the same vendors who had already sent us price quotes upwards of $1800.  Many of them took us up on our price and we ended up having to pic the photog we liked best! 

The topic ‘Anyone else having an under $5000 wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors