Anyone else Memorial Day weekend 2019?

posted 7 months ago in May 2019
Post # 2
671 posts
Busy bee

Not us, but our friends are getting married that weekend in 2019! This will be our third year in a row having a MDW wedding, and I think it’s the perfect kick-off to the summer season. Congrats!

Post # 3
246 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2019

We’re getting married that Saturday, May 25! We chose the date because it was the 25th (FH’s and my birthdays are both on the 25th of different months, so we thought it would be cool to get married on a 25th, and that was the only one that fell on a Saturday in 2019), so it didn’t even occur to me that it was Memorial Day weekend until my mom mentioned it. We hadn’t booked the venue yet, so I wondered if I should change it, but so far the responses have been positive. Most of our guests are local, so they’re still free to do a barbecue or get-together on Monday, and for the guests traveling from out of town, it gives them an extra day so they don’t have to be as rushed to get back home. Plus, a lot of schools and workplaces shy away from holding events over a holiday weekend, so we probably don’t have to worry much about our wedding interfering with peoples’ graduations, proms, or work conferences.  

Post # 4
16 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2019 - Church where I grew up

We’re getting married that Friday, May 24! We weren’t too keen on having  MDW wedding, but that is literally the only weekend in March through June that both of our sisters can attend! Anyway, we just got engaged 2 weeks ago. Think a wedding can be planned in 8 months?!

Post # 5
91 posts
Worker bee

We’re getting married that Friday, May 24 too! 🙂

We got engaged on Fourth of July this year, and we decided we didn’t want to wait even a year.

24 is a special number for us (always was my sports number, I was born on Jan. 24, etc.) Fiancé loved Ken Griffey Jr. growing up (wore #24) so it was always his sports number too! We both have 24 in our email addresses (created before we even met) so it was just meant to be.

May has always been a good month for us and has weird little hidden fun meanings for us (our pup’s name is Maizie, our favorite band is Mayday Parade, etc.)

I didn’t realize it was MDW until after we firmly locked it in either. No one has complained and most people like that they have a long weekend to recover. Debated awhile since it is a Friday but everyone’s been really supportive of that too. AND it’s cheaper to do Friday at our venue.

Hedirumc :  DATE TWINS! Definitely doable! We’re basically all planned and done with everything except the honeymoon.

Ceremony venue, reception venue were done within a couple weeks. I have my dress already and it’s completely altered and done. We have our wedding bands. Bridesmaids have their dresses. Save the Dates were sent out at 9 months out (it’s now 7 months away OMG). I have all the invitations already (that was probably premature but I had been done designing them so I just had them shipped, lol).

_____

What are you guys doing for colors/decor?

We are doing a vintage-vibe. Colors are rose gold, blush, mint and ivory. Venue is a brewery where fiancé-face used to work and where we first started dating.

Post # 6
92 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2019

We are getting married the long weekend (Canadians) before MDW but in Vegas! So everything will be a little less expensive since it’s not the same as the MDW but a long one for us still. We are already doing a ‘destination’ so we only expect about 75% turnout of about 50 invitees so it’ll be a nice personal wedding. 

Post # 7
16 posts
Newbee

britgotherstud :  well, my favorite color is red and his is blue, and they go well together.. Only we’re doing off shades of the colors so that we don’t look patriotic. Apple red and ice blue. The wedding itself will be very traditional and formal, but the reception will be… Star Trek! We’re both uber nerds!

Post # 8
91 posts
Worker bee

Hedirumc :  Heck yeah! Super cool. I can relate to that. Star Wars. Pokemon. PC gaming. We’re BIG gamer-nerds.

Post # 9
109 posts
Blushing bee

We’re getting married on May 25th! We picked that weekend because we have a few family members who are teachers, and it’s so hard working around their schedules.  Later in the summer is off limits for me since it’s my busy season at work, and I didn’t want to wait until Fall 2019.  

We’re getting married in York, Maine! It’s a destination for everyone (only 2 hours for his family though) and thought it’d be a great way to bring the families together in a beautiful destination. 

Post # 10
16 posts
Newbee

Hedirumc :  because of scheduling conflicts, our date is now May 25. Still the same weekend, though!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors