(Closed) Anyone else NOT care what guests wear?

posted 10 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: Do you care if guests wear white/whatever color to your wedding?
    Not at all : (63 votes)
    48 %
    Yes : (31 votes)
    24 %
    Maybe, depending on what it looks like : (37 votes)
    28 %
  • Post # 18
    1641 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

I don’t really care what they wear. People in my town are pretty beachy-casual. I am anticipating a lot of jeans. However, I imagine my friends who live out of town will not be dressed in jeans!

Post # 19
    457 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

I put “maybe,” but for the most part I don’t care at all. All I want is for people to not wear a floor length white/ivory/champagne gown, or jeans.

Post # 20
    1810 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

All I care is that my guests are dressed appropriately for the occasion. I trust their judgement (though sometimes I wonder if I should).

Post # 21
    1205 posts
    Bumble bee

I’m not wearing white.  My dress is a champagne color and for the reception, I’ll have a burnt orange bolero over it.  I would never plan to tell people to make sure guests don’t wear “my colors”

If someone showed up in something that could be mistaken for a bridal gown, I’d probably laugh. 

The people who will be with us that day – every.single.one of them – knows me or Fiance very well.  Nothing that goes wrong or a person with a bad fashion sense will take away from our amazing day.

Post # 22
    1545 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

I am praying that no one shows up in an ivory or white dress and I hope no one shows up in jeans or shorts. that would be horrible! We are paying 70 bucks per person to a formal wedding so please dont wear jeans or jean shorts.

Post # 23
    7975 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

I tell everyone to “wear something that makes you feel great about yourself” I figure comfortable/confident feeling guests = happy photos 😀

Post # 24
    1001 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

I would rather someone showed up in a white cotton sundress than jeans and a tee.  I probably wouldn’t appreciate a long ivory gown, though.

It kills me when people don’t dress up for weddings.  Maybe because finding a dress and getting pretty is half the fun for me.  I LOVE dressing up.

Post # 25
    447 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2009

I’m already married, but I honestly didn’t care what my guests wore. I had more then one person show up wearing jeans and a nice shirt. It didn’t bother me at all. Then again, I had a casual outdoor wedding. If it had been a formal wedding, it might have bothered me, but probably not a lot.

Post # 26
    2857 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2011 - Bartram's Garden

I don’t really care what the guests wear. I’m hoping that nobody shows up in jeans, but if they do, whatever.

Post # 27
    1870 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: February 2011

View original reply
    @Statutory Grape: Oh, it’s meant as a joke. The wedding’s a morning picnic brunch in a park–it’s just that I chose a more formal font that the invite needed a little levity.

Post # 28
    876 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

I don’t care what color guests wear (white dresses included).  But it would really bother me if someone wore something trashy, for example a female wearing something so skimpy that her boobs are practically falling out.  Yech… 

Post # 29
    230 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I don’t care overly much if someone else is in white…they’re the ones that will look like an idiot.  But I would be upset if someone showed up in a stained t-shirt with cut off sleeves, as SO’s friend did at his first wedding.  Jeans, I can live with so long as they’re nice jeans, and are worn with some dressier shoes and a button down shirt, or something along those lines.

We will be specifying “cocktail attire” on the invitations, and I’m hoping that people know what this means, although I have a feeling I’ll be getting a lot of phone calls and emails!

Post # 30
    2530 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I had several guests wear white to our wedding but they were cute short summer dresses that would not be mistaken for a wedding gown. If someone had worn a floor length gown that was white I would have been upset! I would have also been upset if someone dressed WAY too casually – thankfully no one did!

Post # 31
    20 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: July 2011

yeah, I don’t wouldn’t see any reason to get all bent out of shape over someone who was wearing one of my wedding colors. And as far as guests wearing white, whatever. It’s not something I’d get my panties in a twist over. To echo some of the ladies that have just posted, if someone were to wear a dress that looked like it could be a wedding dress, she is just going to look like a moron. I certainly don’t think anyone at my wedding is going to be confused about who the bride is!

The topic ‘Anyone else NOT care what guests wear?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors