Anyone else TTC in 2018?

posted 5 months ago in TTC
Post # 91
87 posts
Worker bee

Your age/partner’s age:

I’m 35 and he’s 45. 

Baby #: First one!

Sibling age now/ when TTC: None, this is my first kid. 

When will you start TTC: Either this December of January 2018

Doing anything to prepare (vitamins, charting, etc)?: Nope, maybe I should. 

Most excited for: Pregnancy, IDK it always sounded like fun. I may be very wrong. πŸ˜‚

Most nervous about: Possibly being in school with a baby. I’m 35 and he’s 45 though, and time is ticking. 

Anything you want to accomplish before having a baby?: Not really. I mean, I would like to have been graduated by now, but I changed my major a few times. πŸ˜‘

Do you anticipate any trouble conceiving? I sure hope not. 

Post # 92
2149 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 29th, 2016

meien :  Just got excited to see someone whose DH is close in age to mine! He’s currently 46 but will be 47 or near it when we start TTC next year. I will be 27. His age is something that’s always in the back of my mind, but I’m hoping that it’s just the worrier in me and that everything will be fine!

Post # 93
157 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2018

ladyvictoria :   meien :  I’m in the club too!  My guy will be newly 45 when we start in January (I’ll be 35.5).  Our ages are definitely a worry to me too, but whaddya do.  He’s a fit active guy and eats well, so hopefully his swimmers are in good shape!

meien :  this is just my two cents, but I started temping/charting 2 months before we’re going to TTC, and  Iwould recommend that to you guys since you’re our same ages.  With both our ages being in the “geriatric” age for TTC (that’s literally what they call it!), I want to make sure I’m ovulating normally and that we time sex to maximize our chances.  The odds of conceiving definitely go down when the woman is our age and the man is our guys’ age.  If you haven’t read “Taking Charge of Your Fertility”, that’s the gold standard for learning about this stuff.  I know this sounds kinda uptight, but like you said, at our ages it’s time to get on with it! πŸ™‚

And you should definitely start taking prenatals now!  They need some time to build up in your system.  There’s one nasty birth defect in particular (spina befida) that they will prevent.  I have the gummy ones, easy peasy.

Post # 94
2149 posts
Buzzing bee

KittyYogi :  I try not to worry about it but the reality is we won’t know if there’s an issue or not until we try! Like your DH, mine takes pretty good care of himself in terms of diet and exercise, which is a plus. I can’t believe they really consider your ages “geriatric”! That’s humorous and terrible at the same time! lol 

As much as I want to take a laid back approach to TTC, I know I won’t actually be able to lol I also plan on stopping my BC a couple months ahead of time and charting my cycles. 

Post # 95
157 posts
Blushing bee

ladyvictoria :  Haha I wanted to take a laid-back approach too.  I’m not really an uptight person at all.  But as soon as we made a plan for TTC and I started looking into it – I realized NOPE I am able to be super chill about this!  I just figure, if you know what you want and you want it now, may as well do what you can to maximize that happening.  Especially given the whole “geriatric” thing, lol.  I agree, hilarious and also so insulting πŸ˜€

Post # 96
87 posts
Worker bee

KittyYogi :  That’s crazy that we are considered geriatric! lol I see a lot of people that have their last kid in their early to mid thirties, so I’m not terribly worried. My DH takes care of himself very well, too, so that’s definitely a plus. 

Now that you mention it, I should probably go and buy some prenatal vitamins today! 

Post # 97
2149 posts
Buzzing bee

@KittyYogi have you seen the “Trifecta” thread about increasing your odds with mucinex, preseed, and menstrual cups?! Part of me almost wants to try it when the time comes and the other part is saying, “Slow your roll, lady!” LOL

Sidenote: the reply feature isn’t working for me lately! So frustrating!

Post # 98
157 posts
Blushing bee

ladyvictoria :  I did see that!  I *might* have bought some Preseed and Mucinex already yell My roll is so not slowed right now!  The cups thing, I just don’t see how it’s really helpful because everything gets to the right spot right away – plus it seems like a hassle.  But the Preseed and Mucinex, why not!  Biologically they make a lot of sense, and I don’t see a downside except for my partner thinking I’ve gone off the deep end when I bust out a whole bag of tricks in cycle 1, lol.

And yeah I’ve found I have to refresh the page once or twice to be able to use the reply function.  Annoying.

Post # 99
92 posts
Worker bee

lalanono :  

ROLL CALL

Your age/partner’s age: 34/34

Baby #: 1

Sibling age now/ when TTC: na

When will you start TTC: Summer 2018

Doing anything to prepare (vitamins, charting, etc)?: Not yet! Just went off BCP and going to Obgyn to get my annual check up & talk to her about TTC. I’m just gathering advice & info first, plan on reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility, then I’ll start charting & using Fertility app to get in better tune w my cycle, will probably start prenatals in the Spring, and when time is right, we’ll use OPKS. 

Most excited for: telling DH! He got to surprise me w proposal and I cannot wait to return the favor, lol. 

Most nervous about: my age and how difficult TTC will be, and how that might affect DHs and I’s relationship. I also worry about my age and how it will affect having a healthy pregnancy :\ i try not to read too much negative info about older moms but it’s hard. 

Anything you want to accomplish before having a baby?: Yes! DH and I really want to move in 2018 – large house in a better neighborhood. We laso have a 2 week European vacation (delayed honeymoon) tenatively planned for Memorial day. I also want a dog πŸ™‚

Do you anticipate any trouble conceiving? I am anxiety prone and pessimistic so yes. But none of it is based on truth. My mom had healthy kids at 29, 31, 37 and 44 so that’s encouraging. My period has always been regular, even while on BCP. And I got my period back AFTER being on BCP immediately. I have been lucky not to deal with any PCOS or endometriosis. So all signs point to no issues but who knows. DH was diagnosed years ago with low testosterone, hasn’t been an issue for us but I’ve read it could be an issue when TTC. Lol, so yes, I do anticipate issues but hope for none.

Post # 100
2149 posts
Buzzing bee

KittyYogi :  Ah, third refresh is the charm! lol I can see how some would do without the cups, but the preseed and mucinex are worth a shot! I can totally see myself using them both when the time comes lol Who knows, maybe your partner will be more receptive than you think! πŸ™‚ 

Post # 101
340 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

We are hopefully going to try mid year in 2018! I want to lose a bit of weight first and I am in grad school ending next year, but I figure I can be pregnant when I graduate just not deliver before then!

Your age/partner’s age: I’m 30, he’s 29. 

Baby #: Number 1!! πŸ™‚

Sibling age now/ when TTC: N/A

When will you start TTC: July 2018

Doing anything to prepare (vitamins, charting, etc)?: Going to lose 20 lbs, stop drinking and smoking weed 3 months before I stop by BC pills. Once I am clean and stop my pills, I plan to start vitamins and chart with an app.

Most excited for: Telling my parents / friends once we are pregnant. I am going YouTube crazy over surprise announcements and already know what I want to do! My family and friends are already on bump watch even though they know it won’t be til next year – everyone is excited in anticipation!

Most nervous about: Stopping my BC pills / what my period will be like. It was very erratic and long with horrible symptoms and pain when I was young, and I have been on BC for >15 years to regulate it. I am scared to get my first 10 day nasty period that will send me flashbacks / nightmares of being 12 years old again. Enter monsoon season. πŸ™ 

Anything you want to accomplish before having a baby?: Lose some weight, stop drinking & smoking, pay off our credit card (had some unexpected issues with the home and car this year)

Do you anticipate any trouble conceiving? Yes only because I was on BC for SO long, I have no idea what my cycle will be like after or how long it will take me to even ovulate for the first time! I really hope it is quick only becasuse I don’t know how many periods I will be able to tolerate. 

Post # 102
157 posts
Blushing bee

ladyvictoria :  aaaaaaand I just ordered some evening primrose oil supplements, because it helps a lot with making good egg white cervical fluid, and I don’t really seem to get that.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH5AK2S/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok I’m done now!  I swear!  lol  And yeah thank you, I think my guy will be on board with any and all of this.  He keeps saying he wants us to maximize our chances when we do start trying, and we’re both scientists, so he trusts that anything I latch onto as helping, is probably based on data and is scientifically justifiable. 

The only other big change I’m doing is switching to full-fat milk in my coffee after reading this study. The correlation was pretty notable!  I can’t remember if I already linked that study in this thread.  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/64192.php

OK I need to take a chill pill πŸ™‚

Post # 103
2149 posts
Buzzing bee

KittyYogi :  I’ve only heard a little bit about evening primrose but it seems to have a lot of benefits! I hope you find it helpful πŸ™‚ I can see how some might be skeptical of all of these extra things to boost fertility, but if the science backs it up then I see nothing wrong with trying! I didn’t realize that about full-fat dairy. Hubby and I both are lactose intolerant so we won’t be able to do that one! But I do drink a lot of coconut and cashew/almond milk. Hopefully that’s good for something πŸ™‚ 

Post # 104
120 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

Your age/partner’s age: 27/29

Baby #: 1

Sibling age now/ when TTC: N/A

When will you start TTC: Probably Dec 2017/Jan 2018

Doing anything to prepare (vitamins, charting, etc)?: Prenatals and charting

Most excited for: To get pregnant again and hopefully meeting our baby.

Most nervous about: About having another miscarriage (miscarried in October 2017)

Anything you want to accomplish before having a baby?: Taking prenatals, exercising more and saving money.

Do you anticipate any trouble conceiving? We got pregnant quickly the first time so I’m hoping it happens again.

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors