Anyone else use the MyPlate app, or doing 1200 calories?

posted 3 years ago in Fitness
Post # 2
392 posts
Helper bee

I am! I’m using the loose it app. I love it! I haven’t used the one you’re using so I can’t say that mine is better, just that I love it. I started off doing Nutrisystem but recently switched to just calorie counting on my own. 

Tonight for dinner  I had a chicken chili lime burger from Trader Joe’s with low fat cheese, mashed avacado, onion, lettuce tomatoe, no bun. Delicious and only 240 calories! 

I’d love  to trade meal ideas with you. 

Post # 3
1288 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2018 - Omaha, NE

I use MyFitnessPal! I really like it, but 1200 calories is really TOO low for most people unless you’re already very small (short or thin). I would recommend calculating your calories outside of the app and just manually changing the numbers 🙂
I use this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to get my TDEE and I go from there subtracting 500 calories per day to lose 1 pound/week or 1000 to lose 2 🙂

Post # 4
215 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2017 - Sauk Valley Resort

I use the FitBit app and just enter a set number of calories instead of having it tell me how many, because I hated the inconsistency of how much it was telling me to eat. I’m also doing 1,200. I’m still working on some meals, because the same handful of things get boring fast. 

Post # 5
699 posts
Busy bee

I’ve been using MFP with 1200 cal – its been going great!

Post # 9
392 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
nykkee :  those are some good tips! I’ve made the banana “pancakes” in the past and loved them, but had totally forgotten about them. 

I don’t have too many meal ideas either because I’ve been basically eating the same thing every day for the most part. Some of my go tos are low cal wraps with turkey breast and light cheese, using low cal wraps to make your own pizzas – I use homemade sauce, low fat mozz and tons of veggies. Every morning I have a protein shake and I put a tablespoon of instant coffee in it so I don’t have to use any calories for putting cream in my coffee. (I usually drink iced coffee with a lot of cream. Too many calories!) my favorite snack currently is sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices and 1/4 cup of hummus. Edamame hummus is my favorite. I’ll post more as I think of them. 

Post # 10
423 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

Banana ice cream is my favorite diet food – freeze a sliced banana or two, then throw it in a food processor with a spoonful of strawberry jam, or a spoonful of peanut butter. I also sometimes add cinnamon or cocoa powder – tastes and has the texture of regular ice cream! But healthier! I used cashew butter and cocoa powder and legit could not tell it wasn’t regular chocolate ice cream.

Post # 11
2355 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
nykkee :  I use MyFitnesspal and I am around 1200. 

For some people its too low, but for me who is 5 foot its not. And if you eat the right food and not eat a lot of sugar and more protein you should be fine. 

Post # 12
489 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
nykkee :  I use My Fitness Pal and have used it on and off for years. It’s really the only one I’ve ever used so I can’t really say how it’s better or worse than any of the others. I use it to track food intake and exercise. It syncs automatically with other fitness apps like Map My Fitness, which I also use often. 

I most certainly do not have a 1200 kCal diet. I do about 1800 when I’m trying to lose weight and even more during maintenance. I’m also nearly 5’10” and am very physically active so I would never make it through the day with only 1200. 1200 is very low for any adult of any size really. 1200 is really the absolute lowest energy intake that is still considered safe (and that’s if you’re seditary). If you are excersizing you need to eat more..unless you’re okay with completely messing up your metabolism. 

Post # 14
925 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
nykkee :  I’m 5′ 2″, 115 lbs. I lose weight eating 1200 cals a day but it is mostly muscle mass. 

I lose fat at 2000 cals a day while gaining muscle mass. In recent months, I have gained 7 lbs while increasing my cals but I look and measure at a smaller size.

When it comes to physical appearance and health, focusing on body composition (fat %, muscle %) is leaps and bounds more important than just weight loss. A person on a 500 cal deficit can lose up to 6 lbs of muscle mass in just one week.

Think of it this way: You go into a calorie deficit. Your body knows there is less energy available. Your body assumes it’s because there is a food shortage, not that you’re trying to lose 15 lbs. If there’s an energy shortage, what does the human body do? It gets rid of the energy hogs: your muscles. When your energy intake goes back up, you regain weight, particularly fat, so you have more stores for the next famine. That is why chronic dieters are heavier over time than others.

There is no one size fits all approach but eating in a way that reduces body fat while maintaining or building muscle mass is beneficial in the long run vs crashing off muscle mass through calorie restriction.

Post # 15
1579 posts
Bumble bee

I use My Fitness Pal to track almost religiously.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors