(Closed) Anyone have a 100% outdoor wedding?

posted 5 years ago in Logistics
Post # 2
1541 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

It’s hard to think of a climate where a tent isn’t necessary. Either because there is a possibility of rain or because of heat and sunshine. I agree that they look really pretty but it may not be worth the weather stress. 

only our ceremony was outside in a garden. We had to decide the night before whether or not to tell the planneR to put up the tent we had rented in case of rain (Vancouver, BC). the forecast said rain was possible so we had to pitch the tent. Luckily it didn’t actually rain during the ceremony but it was good to have the tent or I would be having a heart attack all day every time it sprinkled. Also the fact that the grass was dry under the tent was nice for guests and meant there were less mosquitoes (BUGS are a very important outdoor wedding factor. I went to one country wedding where I got eaten alive. We provided bug spray to the guests even though we were In the city so they weren’t that bad.)

good luck! 

Post # 3
9588 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

Gotta have a tent! No rain plan can equal disaster for outdoor wedding. Mine is in a garden with a tent reception. If it rains the ceremony will be in a pretty barn. 

If the weather is looking good you can skip the tent but you really should have one on reserve!

Post # 4
4037 posts
Honey bee

I really think you have to consider guest comfort. I’ve watched the TV show “Four Weddings” a lot, and there are always a lot of issues. Bugs, heat, cold, sun, rain, wind, etc. I live in the NE US and you would have to be extremely lucky to hit perfect weather – you’d still need a back-up plan.

Post # 5
55 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

We are aiming for 100% outdoors. My venue is amazing and has so many options, but also has everything covered. We are doing the end of August, so the weather apparently is perfect for the outdoors! We have a tent in case it does rain though!

Post # 6
3729 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: City, State

uncltredpearl:  I have been to a few… They were a challenge. First, think about bathrooms (portable-potties are gross, especially when you’re in nice clothes anthereto are heavily used). Second, think of food safety. It’s hard to keep food at the right temperature. 

It went well when it was a punch and cake wedding. 2 hours and we were out of there. The traditional receptions are rough– the temperature drops, it’s hard to have a nice setup due to wind, weather, and hills, and you end up being exhausted and dehydrated from the sun. The third wedding was on an unseasonably cold day– about 45 degrees (vs 70). We were shivering and it wasn’t enjoyable.

Post # 7
999 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2016

The truth is, I drool over those “outdoor wedding” photos too. But outside of specific (WESTWARD) places where the weather is more cooperative, I just don’t think it can happen. 

Like Pollywog pointed out, an outdoor reception is 100% doable if it’s not the long kind – a punch and cake reception would work fine. But there are so many problems with a longer wedding and doing it right would mean making extraordinary preparations for every possible eventuality (e.g.: bring blankets for all guests when the temperature drops at night, rain plan, heat plan, thunderstorm plan, food prep & logistics plan, etc etc) and if you don’t do it right, it can dramatically reduce guests’ comfort.

Post # 9
75 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

My wedding was completely outdoors.  We were married outdoors at the gazebo, and the reception and coctail hour were under a covered outoor patio.  Previous posters are right though that many things can go wrong.  It did rain the morning of our wedding, and it was a bit windy at times (lucky the covered area and pillars really shielded that for uor guests)  But our wedding photos – my hair (which fell flat from the rain) and dress are going a bit crazy at times!.  Definitely not perfect, and something to consider.  But all in all, I wouldn’t change it.

Post # 10
9544 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

uncltredpearl:  I wanted to, but I couldn’t do it without a rain plan. So we got a tent. Which was good because we had a huge storm the day of the rehearsal and rain was a definitely possibility right up until ceremony time. 

You definitely do need to take weather into account. Our wedding day ended up about 75 and cloudy, so a little warm but overall, we got pretty lucky. We had cold drinks available as soon as people arrived, everything was in the shade and we made the programs into hand fans. We also provided nice spray sunscreen and bug spray (the nice smelling kind) and put a citronella votice at each table. If you’re worried the day might be cool, you can rent heaters and ahnd out pashminas and lap blankets. 

Personally, I love outdoor weddings (that’s why I had one!) and all my favorite weddings have been outdoors. So don’t let the weather intimidate you. But you do need to plan accordingly.

Post # 11
1303 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: Hawksnest Cove Beach St John USVI

I had a beach wedding (and a rain backup plan if needed). There was a gazebo with tables and chairs for guests to wait before the ceremony, but the ceremony was 100 percent outdoors. The reception was at a restaurant on a private patio so no bif/ food safety issues and we still had a full view of the water. 

Post # 12
714 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Jacksonville Inn

We had a 100% outdoor wedding and it was perfect. We didn’t plan on much dancing so we didn’t have a dance floor, and no tent. The garden area we were in was surrounded by tons of plants, large shrubs and trees so it felt cooler than it really was. We also had rented 2 cottages that were on the property and left them open in case any of our guests needed a time out in an air conditioned area. We had a guest list under 20 people, all of whom were very close friends and family. No one felt the need to seek refuge in the cottages. Our wedding was 9/20 and the forcast for the day was 100 degrees. Our wedding started at 4:00 and the weather was tolerable. The evening cooled down quickly but it wasn’t cold. All of our guests seemed comfortable and happy. 

Post # 13
Hostess
11050 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

uncltredpearl: I’d have loved to be able to do that but can’t really living in the UK. I’ve seen some gorgeous recaps here on WB from an all outdoor wedding. 

Post # 14
777 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

Mine was outdoors too. It rained in the morning but in the evening it was amazing. But i got married on a tropical island….

The topic ‘Anyone have a 100% outdoor wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors