Anyone have an ultrasound around 35/36 weeks?

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
7798 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I had pre-term labor and multiple ultrasounds with my second child between 30 and 36 weeks. Those weight ultrasounds are their best guess and are often inaccurate. Don’t freak out. 

Even if you do have a 9lb baby you’ll be fine. (I did and I am.) The human body is pretty amazing. 

Post # 3
916 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

View original reply
llevinso :  My friend had one at 34 weeks (I think) that showed baby at nearly 8lbs. They were monitoring for preeclampsia and said the baby would be close to 10 by the time they induced at 38 weeks. But she was born at 38 weeks and only 8lbs 9oz, so the initial measurement was off by quite a bit. I read somewhere that it’s hard for them to calculate exact weight from the ultrasound so it doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be huge.

Post # 4
236 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I had my last ultrasound at about 35 weeks and they were estimating 5.5 lbs.  When I told my nurse at delivery she was guessing the baby would be about 7+ pounds then, but the little one was 8 lbs 11 oz.  Not the what you wanted to hear, but just goes to show they can estimate, but really aren’t that accurate 🙂

Post # 5
3271 posts
Sugar bee

Ultrasounds can be two pounds off in either direction. It’s really just a best guess scenario. 

My last ultrasound at 24 weeks showed my little guy already pushing 3 pounds, so way ahead of schedule. So, I’m also bracing for a big boy – BUT, keep telling myself that my uterus is measuring on the lower end of where we should be so maybe they just suck at guesstimating weight. I mean, they always have me 2 pounds heavier than I really am at my appointments 🙄.

How’s your uterus measuring? In line for 36 weeks? 

Post # 6
4240 posts
Honey bee

I’ve been having weekly ultrasounds since I was 35 weeks (I’m 39 tomorrow) because they were concerned that baby was too small. Right now (well, as of Monday), she was about 5.5-6 lbs, which sounds big enough to me! But the tech did mention that at this late in the game, their measurements can be off by as much as 1-2 lbs.

They basically calculate all this stuff based on measurements they do of the head, belly and leg bones, and now that your baby is so big, it can be hard to get an accurate measurement. When I went in, it took them a long time to get a head measurement because her head is now so far down in my pelvis- so the tech even said that the head could be a little bigger or smaller than what she was able to capture.

Good luck- it really is terrifying to think this baby has to come out of your body one way or another, haha, but they will get him out! How big were you and your husband when you were born?

Post # 7
9522 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

View original reply
llevinso :  my OB’s office does an ultrasound at 36 weeks at well. i am 39w today.  they told me at 36 baby was measuring 6lb 11oz, which was scary to me since my son was born at 36+6 weighing 5lb 3oz. 

i’m planning for a natural birth and have since calmed down.  the tech said their machines always measure big, baby was probably closer to 6lb.  and i’ve had friends tell me the measurements have been off by up to 2 lbs.

i’ve stopped worrying, nothing i can do.  my doula gave me great advice.  if you think you are going to have trouble, you probably are.  just relax and let your body do its thing.  imagine you are a lotus flower opening up to have the baby.

Post # 8
9801 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

They can be notoriously off.  I wouldn’t worry.  I had some at 40 weeks.  I think my first was estimated at 40w to be 7lb 15oz and she was born 1 week later at 7lbs 4oz.  They just do measurements of femur, head and stomach I think and generate a weight estimate so you can see why that’s hard to get a super accurate estimate.  My second baby I don’t think they told me his weight, just 50% for legs and stomach and 75% for his head measurements.  His head was accurate as he has consistently been 75-85% for head. 9 lbs in and of itself isn’t necessarily a big deal anyway, lots of women have 9lb babies with no issue.  My husband was the first of 4 and was the smallest around 8lbs.  The last was over 10lbs!

Post # 9
1889 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I had one around 36 weeks as well. It’s not standard practice at my doctor, but I felt huge, though I was measuring on track, and had warned the doctor that my mom produced really large babies (twins weighing 8lbs 7oz and 8lbs 13oz), so he suggested we see what we might be dealing with. I think they estimated my baby around 7.5 pounds at that time, and would be between 8.5-10.5 at birth. I always told myself, “I can handle 9 pounds, but I don’t think I can handle 10…”

She ended up coming at 40+8 weighing 9lbs 4oz. (I had a med-free vaginal birth and it wasn’t awful! And I’m a narrow woman!) My doctor was shocked to hear how big she ended up because he said she didn’t seem that big when she came out. 

Post # 10
3003 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

View original reply
llevinso :  I had a relatively small baby (6 pounds, 5 oz) at 39 weeks. However, his head was really big (95th percentile), plus his cord was wrapped around his shoulders and neck, which made it really hard for me to push him out. He was totally fine, though. I had an unmedicated vaginal birth. I really think the size of the baby is only one of many factors that dictate how difficult your labor and delivery are. Position of the baby, pace and intensity of contractions, length of early and active labor, your own state of mind, interventions needed or not, etc can all make a big difference. Best of luck!

Post # 11
944 posts
Busy bee

I honestly don’t even know why they try to estimate their weight if their methods are so inaccurate. It’s really nothing you should worry yourself with since there’s no guarantee either way.  Even the size of your belly isn’t the greastest indicator of how big the baby is, since the amount of amniotic fluid and the baby’s position can affect your size. Try to keep a healthy diet, and mild exercise is always good. I’m bad at both of those things and my baby is measuring somewhat small, so it’ll be interesting to see what the outcome is, lol.

Post # 12
959 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015 - Historic Chapel

View original reply
llevinso :  My last ultrasound was at 20 weeks, and have no idea how much baby weighted then. My son was 9 pounds 3 ounces when he was born.

Edit: I gave birth at 40 weeks 1 day

Post # 13
2167 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Yep. And don’t take the measurements too seriously, it’s honestly in my opinion ridiculous to try and measure them. They’re always off by a significant amount. My girlfriend was told her baby was over 7 pounds at 37 weeks and she was going to have a large baby so she should have a c-section. So she did…her baby was exactly 8 pounds at birth. 

Post # 14
2543 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I had an 8 lb 8 oz baby (at 41+1) and let me tell you, they still seem so small! If I were you, I’d look at the bright side–if this is at all accurate, your baby is a really healthy size already and it can only get better. 

Post # 15
814 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I had one at 36 weeks and they said she was 8lbs 6oz. SHe was born at 40+2 and was 8lbs 12oz. Ultrasound can be off by 2lbs either way.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors