- 7 years ago
- Wedding: April 2011
This weekend the now-husband(!) and I waded through the paper, plastic and cardboard of wedding gifts. And, yes, our house looks crazy at the moment! I am cleaning up today, though, and I feel like I’m having…registry remorse?
It’s not that serious but it’s intereseting. Towards the end of the engagement we were pretty comfortable saying, “Let’s just put that on the registry.” when we were interested in buying something for the house. We said it half-jokingly and half-seriously but we can’t say that phrase now!
In the post-registry world I’ve found that:
- we actually don’t have room for all of this stuff!
- I wish I asked for practical AND pretty dishes with more than four settings.
- we actually don’t drink that much wine (in reference to a variety of gifts).
- we now have a LOT of mugs.
- some items we received were perhaps more of a novelty to us whe we asked for them and now seem out of place.
- I’m not so peeved that I got some decorative items that weren’t on the registry.
- some people just won’t use a registry. This was not that bad though we got two physical wedding albums and two conjoined invitation frames (?) with no gift receipts that don’t really fit our style. Awkward.
- I am going to have to spend a lot of time thinking in a Macy’s store (I can get those dishes, though!) re: gift cards.
- our rent is too high.
Ok, that last one didn’t really fit but we seriously need a cheaper/bigger place. Don’t we all?
I don’t want to be an episode of The Story of Stuff.
During this whole wedding business I have felt weird about talking about gifts for us. I guess it’s ok because it’s kind of like Christmas but better because the stuff we get is supposed to be practical. Then again, talking about gifts at Christmas can get tacky.
So, has anyone had post-registry sadness*?
*If someone can come up with a better term, please do so 🙂