Post # 1
🙁 I had my hair colored Wednesday afternoon. Yesterday afternoon, I noticed my scalp was really itchy. As time went on it got increasingly worst. I called my hair stylist to ask if they had any recommendations. They said it sounds like I’m having a reaction to PPD a chemical in hair dye. So here I am, 5 am waiting for an oatmeal bath to cool. Has anyone else been unfortunate enough to deal with this? Any recommendations for treatment? Did you see a doctor? I’m trying to decide if I want to see one later today or wait it out. The hair stylist said it usually gets better after a few days.
I feel kind of stupid because I had a reaction in the spring but I didn’t realize that’s what it was. :-/ Now I know not to try all over color again.
Post # 2
Benadryl will help if it’s an allergic reaction.
Post # 3
ImaStarr: If it gets any worse than just itchy see a doctor ASAP!
“NCIS” star PAULEY PERRETTE nearly needed a crime scene investigation of her own after being hospitalized from hair dye trauma.
Post # 4
Idon’t have this but my DH does. He used benadryl and aveeno lotion (he dyes his beard). Now he uses dyes that don’t have PPD’s in them (he buys them at the natural health stores).
Post # 5
Yeah this happens to me every time. I just take benadryl and it usually gets better in a few hours.
Post # 6
ImaStarr: You can also take a non-drowsy antihistamine like Reactine, Claritin, Allegra, etc. These products will eliminate allergy symptoms for 12 hours without causing drowsiness.
Post # 7
ImaStarr: I would take a couple benadryl too! Should help with the itching. They knock me out tho- so make sure if you do take some that you don’t really have anything to do/need to drive.
Post # 8
I’m allergic too!! It is seriously awful. My scalp would ooze puss and scab up. I would also swell to the size of a basketball. I had to go to the ER because it was so bad. I looked a little worse than Pualy because I couldn’t open my eye and looked like I had a huge tumor off the side of my head. Before I went to the ER I had gone to the doctor about it the previous year and he gave me meds. I didn’t realize at the time it was because of the hair dye so that is when I dyed my hair again and it landed me in the ER. I’m crazy so I decided to dye my hair all over brown because that is my natural color (I’m not allergic to blonde) so I got the at home dye, bought a whole box of benadryl and took it while I dyed my hair. Since then my hair has not been touched in 4 years!!
Since I’m allergic to brown hair dye and also henna tattoos, the er doc said that I was allergic to an iodite in those colors so I am also allergic to iodine so I have to let doctors know when I go in for a procedure or something!
Post # 9
Lalavla: Yikes! Luckily, mine is only on my scalp (for now at least!)
tcgstar: I’ve got an aveeno shampoo and Benodryl has been my friend 🙂
ksn1219: That sounds so terrible!! Luckily, I was coloring my hair to try to match my natural color. I will NOT be dyeing my hair again.