(Closed) Applying eyeliner & needing advice (pic heavy)

posted 8 years ago in Beauty
Post # 17
647 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I use liquid liner on top and ‘kohl’ on bottom when I want to be dramatic. I would say that for your bottom lids it’s too abrupt of a stop, if you could try and taper it off at an angle instead of just flat it would look very nice. I usually don’t go all the way to the tear duct when I do my bottom lashes because it makes the eye look smaller, stopping midway opens up the eye and makes it look wider. Also, focusing on the outer corners of your eyes will make them look further apart while putting more ‘dark’ liner/shadows in the corners near the tearducts will appear to bring them closer together. Just thought I would throw that out there as well.

Post # 18
1902 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Ugh I am terrible with eye liner as I have only just started venturing into using it myself. Never thought about applying a dark eyeshadow instead, that sounds like a great idea! Not to good with the pencils as I keep smudging/going off line

Post # 19
81 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

What is your eye color? It looks like a deep blue but I can’t tell from the pictures. The reason I ask is that you might be better off with a softer color liner, whatever is opposite your eye color on the color wheel will make your eyes really stand out. Combined with mascara it would probably look great.

I skipped liner on my lower lids for my wedding day. I didn’t want to have to worry about it running if my eyes got watery. I love smash box liner, I wear the navy blue color.

The rest of your makeup looks stunning, I love the eyeshadow. Like other PP said, go to MAC or Sephora or a department store and have them recommend a liner color and show you how to put it on. Then you can find a drugstore brand that works for you. Although, 3 drugstore brands = 1 higher end brand in price!

Post # 20
113 posts
Blushing bee

First of all, I always, always use eye primer or this look will only last a few hours. I wet a stiff liner brush and use black eye shadow. I’ve been using loreal HIP. I like that because it doesn’t look grey like the cheaper stuff. Then I line the tip lid only,thicker than normal and at the corner, turned up a bit.  When it dries,which only takes about 30 seconds I get avery small fluffy brush and smudge the crap out of it, and extended the smudge out slightly at the corners.  It softly blends with my eyeshadow and created a nice looking smoky eye that you can wear everyday without looking too over done. Your eyes look very pretty but a little harsh for a bride.  Maybe try to blend it a little. Also, I rarely line the lower lid, it doesn’t last very long anyway. 

Post # 21
130 posts
Blushing bee

2nd way you did it looks much better but another thing you could try (this may have been suggested, I didn’t read any previous posts) is a thin line about 3/4s of the way across (although with your nice big eyes, you could even go all the way in for super intense look), and what I do is gradually build the thickness towards the outside using a smudge brush and dark shadow. I usually avoid black, it’s a bit too harsh but a nice deep brown with that bronze look you are wearing would be nice. If you build it so it goes from thin on the inside to thicker and intense on the outside (softly) it will be a nice sexy cat-eye look 🙂

And almay or revlon are my favorite drugstore brands for everything but if you’re willing to invest for wedding day, I’d recommend looking into something with more stay!

Post # 24
1577 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Have you considered lining your waterline with a pale peach or white liner, instead of black?

It’s a trick I learned in Japan, to make eyes look bigger & more awake; and I’ve been doing it ever since.

Post # 26
1577 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

very findable at the drugstore, try a cheap version to see if works for you (warm up the kohl pencil by scribbling in your palm before apllying)

then hit up Sephora for a better quality one that lasts longer if you like it 

Post # 27
1572 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

1) How do you apply your eyeliner? The whole line or just starting at a half-way point? it really varies based on which liner I’m using and what sort of look i’m going for. I have a TON of eye liners, but lately have been using mostly just Urban Decay’s 24/7 liners (LOVE Bourbon – a rich brown w/ some shimmer) and Tarte’s gel liners (they come with the brush and once they’re on, they’re on). For gel liners or powder mixed with water, I line teh whole top. I try to do very skinny (drawing on teh lash line, essentially) and get thicker as it gets to the outer corner. Sommetimes I have to go back over to do that. I also like to do a little flip up at teh end. I rarely line underneath. If I do, I only line the outer 1/3 or so and then i run my pinkie gently over it to blur the line.

2) What is the BEST eyeliner you have ever purchased from the drugstore? Haven’t been super impressed with drugstore liners. It’s a bit more to try Urban Decay, but Sephora has an awesome return policy. I’ve cried in these liners and even showered adn they stay. Plus they are super easy to apply.

3) Did you wear eyeliner at your wedding? If so, did you have any problems with it running/having to fix it a lot?  wedding is May 26 – so i can let you know after. But I will be wearing liner at my wedding!

4) What do you think about the rest of my makeup? Anything you would add/take away? Is this how you want it to look for the wedding? If so, I may make the lip a touch deeper. I thimk you look good with or without eye liner.

Post # 28
141 posts
Blushing bee

I love gel eyeliner. Maybelline make a really awesome one.

You can apply it soft and smoky, and smudge it like kohl, or you can apply it to like precise like liquid.

I was always taught though to never start at the half-way as it has the opytical illusion effect of sectioning the eye and making it look smaller. I was always taught to start at either 1/4 or 3/4 mark, or to do the whole eye.

However I can say from your pic that you do a lovely straight line! I know other beauty therapists who can’t even do lines that straight, and they’ve been professionally trained.

The topic ‘Applying eyeliner & needing advice (pic heavy)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors