(Closed) April 2013 Wedding – When Should I Get a Dress?

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
1599 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

My wedding isn’t until Sept 2013 and I actually bought a dress today! I’ve been looking for about 6 months.

Some people might say I’m crazy but I’m the kind of person who likes to have things done WAY in advance. I don’t want to worry if my dress is going to be in when the wedding is only, like, weeks away. So I WANTED things done early.

I don’t think it hurts to give it a shot — just browse, see what’s out there. See what fabrics you like, what looks good on you, and if what you want (or think you want) is in your price range.

And even though my dress will be in 9 months before the wedding, at least I have that giant detail taken care of. Plus, if something is wrong with it (size, alterations, details) I have PLENTY of time to fix it. 

But to each her own, I guess. If I were you I definitley would at least start going to bridal shops to just “browse.” 

Post # 4
2335 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Most places need at least 6 months to order a dress- that’s not a scare tactic, they actually have to send your order in to production to be made.  Pre-worn dresses obviously don’t need that time, but you probably still want to start looking this summer.  April 2013 is 10 months away and I’d hate for you to be scrambling to find a dress you love at the last minute.

Edit: I see you’re in the DC Metro area.  What stores are you going to look at?  Once you find a few stores, find out when their sample sales are- you could get a really good deal that way.

Post # 5
1095 posts
Bumble bee

You should order your dress 6-8 months before the wedding IMO. So you have time from now to then to look around and make an informed decision.

Post # 6
675 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2017 - Ceremony and Reception: Historic mansion on the water

@TwinABee:  I think your time line is ok particularly if you are not planning on going the salon/boutique route.  I think the 6 to 8 month generalization is to give time to order the gown, have it come in, make sure all is ok with the dress, set up alterations and final fittings.  You don’t want to place an order for a gown and cut it too close to your wedding day. You want time to fix things if something should go wrong with the gown, etc.

Post # 7
387 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@TwinABee:  If I were you I’d start now. I don’t know what it’s like ordering dresses in the US, but in Australia most bridal gowns take 5-6 months to come in. I think if you make sure you’ve ordered your dress about 8 months before the wedding you should be fine 🙂

Post # 8
Hostess
23607 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

I would start looking now, but order around 8-9 months prior, to leave yourself enough time. 😀  Happy shopping!

Post # 9
3 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I’m getting married in April 2013 as well and I bought my dress at a rack sale in November so I def. don’t think it’s too early to start looking. I love my dress so much, but would have never been able to afford it had I paid full price.

Post # 10
4352 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Also, if you end up going used (which I highly recommend) you end up on the mercy of the market. If, like me, you fall in love with a very popular dress there might be as many as six listings for you to choose from. But those all might be for huge dresses (which is bad if you’re small since they can only be taken in so much), short dresses (bad if you’re tall/want to wear high heels), or small (you can’t really have a dress let out). It took me about a month to find a used listing I was happy with (thats an understatement since I found my dress that had been altered to fit another bride with my measurements). And from what I understand that is incredibly rare. If you are less picky, and just decide you like a certain silhouette/designer then you will have a much easier time finding a used dress. Also if you decide to buy a used dress you need to be willing to put in some time researching your seller and learning which questions you need to ask about the dress to figure out if its a good listing. Please feel free to PM me if you  are interested in buying a used dress and have questions about the process. I had a really good experience with it and encourage everyone who is considering it to do it. I ended up getting a dress worth 2k new for only 500 and saved a ton on alterations because the previous bride has similar measurements to me.

Post # 12
282 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I’m not getting married until August 2013, and I actually got my dress in October 2011, which everyone said was risky, but I haven’t changed my mind up to yet! I suppose it depends how much you’re going to enjoy trying on dresses. For me it was very much a fairytale thing and I absolutely LOVED it. I think it’s helpful to visit a variety of shops and try on every style you can find. It helped me to build a picture of what I liked, and what I didn’t like, in my head. Plus, you’ll probably find a dress you like, and then every dress you try on, you’ll compare to that..and so on. I’m babbling! Anyway, even if you’re not planning on buying it just yet, I’d still go and try some on. It gives you plenty of time to figure things out. Enjoy it <3

The topic ‘April 2013 Wedding – When Should I Get a Dress?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors