April 2019 POAS – The Infertility Edition (6+ mon. TTC + Other Issues)

posted 6 months ago in TTC
Post # 62
654 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2016

NicLE1218 :  Yes, if BFP we have to continue them up to 12 weeks, and we get to add in the suppositories, yay! LOL.  It’s really like adding insult to injury with the painful PIO, and then adding in something that you get gross discharge from.  Oh the joys of infertility.

goldenbrown :  That really sucks about your insurance coverage.  I can say we are in the same boat MFI, with no insurance coverage.  We saved HARD to get to a place to afford IVF w/ ICSI.  We didn’t go on vacations (only extended family vacations where everything was paid for) for the past two years.  We had to stop all renovations on our house which is a big deal because we bought a major fixer upper, but we had to put IVF w/ ICSI first.  I know it seems impossible but try to think of ways to save and you will probably be able to.  Even with all of that savings, we paid for retreival, and 2 frozen transfers so far.  We have 3 embryos left.  We will transfer one in April.  Honeslty, if that one doesn’t stick we’re going to have to take a break for a year or so to build back up capital before paying for another transfer.  I’m just so over spending the money and it not working.  So look really really hard into savings.  

Post # 63
1457 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2017

goldenbrown :  does your insurance cover meds?  The thing I hate most about infertility is the cost… everything is so expensive :(.  We are unexplained and never been pregnant  (so I guess technically iui has a better chance, but it’s still sorta crappy statistics). If your insurance covers iui maybe it would cover a controlled ovarian stimulation?  

We have been saving since starting TTC 2 years ago and we have enough saved for 2 cycles (in Canada the prices are a little cheaper than USA). But no vacations, no eating out, no shopping, no unnecessary purchases. 

Depending on where you live I was listening to a podcast where the Affordable Quality IVF (I think that was what it was called) explained how they made their prices much cheaper than other places.  Also, if you are financing I would probably go with a group that gives a set rate for 5-6 rounds to increase your odds 🙁

Post # 64
711 posts
Busy bee

Dfitzy :  How much did the IVF w/ ICSI end up costing you out of pocket? Did you seek a financing program of any type? We had hoped to purchase a house this year but I guess that’s out now to pay for IVF. We’ve had a lot of other personal expenses come up (high tax bill, etc.) so we aren’t in the best place savings wise right now. Also, I saw your post about the needles (!) It sounds awful. I’m so not looking forward to that. Since you’re also MFI, did you do any IUIs or go straight to IVF? I can’t recall what you posted about this before (and sorry if I’ve asked you that same question previously! it’s hard to go back through these threads and find info). 

NicLE1218 :  Unfortunately, the old insurance state (NJ) mandated IVF and the new state (NY) doesn’t. I honestly am kicking myself for not better researching this. NY does mandate IUIs but not IVF and of course I didn’t find out this detail until today. And I had wrongly assumed that our new insurance would provide for some type of IVF coverage. I was wrong. I just called Dh in tears and asked if there’s any way he could talk to the HR guy who handled the switch and see if they can add on any IVF coverage. I had asked Dh to do this initially but he didn’t want to because he was embarrassed but I guess now he doesn’t care anymore because we need this coverage. 

The main reason I wanted to switch to NY insurance is because it was very difficult to see a doc in NYC with NJ insurance. I couldn’t find a single in-network mental health professional and I’ve been trying to get back into therapy for over a year for anxiety and depression. I literally found one person with availability who told me that if I saw her in her White Plains office (3 hour drive away) it would be covered under insurance, but if I visited her in her Manhattan office it would be $200 per session out of pocket. I absolutely hate the insurance industry. 

Post # 65
711 posts
Busy bee

anev :  No meds related to IVF. I didn’t think to ask about meds for IUIs. Good call, I will ask them about that. Though with MFI I’m not sure how much that would help as it sounds like our only hope is IVF w/ ICSI. The cost is just crazy. Thanks for the advice on the set rate. I’ll look into that and the Affordable place. 

Post # 66
222 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

goldenbrown :  Sorry about the crappy insurance coverage! I’m in CA, which mandates infertility coverage, but basically if it’s an employer plan, they don’t have to actually cover any infertility related items. Our coverage is diagnosis and IUI only too, which totally sucks and our IUI coverage is still pretty terrible.  I remember seeing some decent priced NY IVF when researching, I can try to find them for you if you want.

Post # 67
711 posts
Busy bee

cbn8787 :  Thanks! Would love to know what you came across! I feel like just covering diagnostics and IUIs is such a tease as that doesn’t really help most infertility cases, especially extreme ones. 

Post # 68
222 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

goldenbrown :  This is the one I remember most: https://www.cnyfertility.com/affording-treatment/fertility-treatment-cost/. I’ll pull some others later too. We did one IUI and I felt really negative going in because it’s really not much better results, at least for unexplained infertiilty. We may do a couple of more while waiting for IVF, depending on the cost with my new insurance, but I’m not getting my hopes up at all and if it’s a significant cost, we won’t do it.

Post # 68
654 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2016

goldenbrown :  We spent roughly 20k so far, we didn’t use any financing and just paid cash for everything.  That’s including meds.  One round of IVF with ICSI and fresh transfer was 11k, and then meds for that was another 2-3kish, we planned on doing a fresh transfer but I got OHSS so we had to switch to and FET which we had to pay for (we were given a discount since we already paid for fresh) and just last week we paid for another FET.  I’m in NJ actually and it’s not completely mandated for it to be covered by insurance.  Yes there is a state mandate, however it isn’t enforcable on small businesses.  I belive if your business is less than 50 employees they don’t need to carry IVF coverage.  Both our jobs are at smaller businesses so we had no coverage.  

LOL dont’ worry about forgetting what I’ve done in the past I agree it’s a pain to go back and find it!  We did 4 IUI’s, we had a 5th scheduled but that got cancelled.  We just weren’t in a place where we were emotionally and financially ready to do IVF.  However, knowing what I do now about wasting an entire year and a half doing IUI’s with nothing coming of it I would strongly recommend moving onto IVF right away.  Damn the savings! LOL.

Needles are horrible I make my husband do all my shots I wont’ lie.  I can’t even look haha.

Also, look into CNY fertility.  They are rated really well, not sure where in NY you are, I’m going to assume you’re in the immediate tri state area because of the NJ/NY insurance, the closest one would be Albany if that’s the case.  There is a branch in Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo as well.  We really thought about using them because they are such a savings!  We ultimately didn’t want to travel and wanted to use somewhere local, so we didn’t end up with them.  But I strongly recommend you look into them.  

Post # 69
3541 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 29th, 2016

NicLE1218 :  Yeah, I totally understand not having all of the details for something so personal lol I hope and pray there there are some usable sperm in the biopsy but also that the surgery helps him to produce more. Using donor sperm is such a huge decision…. I don’t know if it’s something that we could do. And thanks for clarifying – I wasn’t sure if you meant the discharge was from the dye. 

Post # 70
711 posts
Busy bee

We are in NYC and my husband’s parent company is in NJ but they just got spun off and are now in NYC hence the insurance change. So the money I would have saved on IVF, I can now save on seeing a therapist who actually takes our insurance lol. Anyway, interesting to know about the small business loophole. Dh’s parent company must have more than 50 employees since they had the same coverage as the mandate. I’m totally kicking myself because we easily could have found a clinic in Jersey City or northern NJ and would have been covered up to 4 retrievals. Really fee like an idiot on this. Oh well. 

We have a referral to a really great place and I’m going to see if they do mini-IVF. I’ve read that that is better for older women (I’m 35) and doesn’t require the same level of hormones as traditional IVF. The original clinic I was at (the one that didn’t think to include dh’s SA numbers with my chart before scheduling an IUI) was a “cheap” clinic but I have to say the care was not great. So I’m willing to see what the “nice” clinic is like and seek a financing option. I also had a great call with my mom and she’s said that she’s willing to help out if we need it. Maybe for a second third round if the first one fails. Oof. There’s so much.

Thanks for the rec on CNY. Those locations are really far for us. I also heard about affordable IVF places in Barbados. Like $5K-$6K. I’d be willing to take a two week vacation and do that. haha

Are the needles really that bad?? I’m absolutely terrified of needles, mostly having my blood drawn. So not sure how I’ll be with injecting myself. Injecting sounds better than having to draw blood. I think that’s the part I’m most nervous about. 

Agree about IUIs. Just seem like a waste. Though Dh wants to do one more IUI before doing IVF. We already did one unmedicated. Maybe we could try a medicated one. 

Post # 71
711 posts
Busy bee

Dfitzy :  Just realized I didn’t tag you in my last post which was a reply to you and now it’s too late to edit. Whoops. See above. 

Post # 72
1316 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: City, State

NicLE1218 :  TY!! my temps are abnormally steady 4 days in a row now, never see anything like it so Iʻm hoping my hormones are leveling but who knows, right?! vacation was amazing, i wanna do it again cuz I already miss my girls haha

Post # 73
1457 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2017

goldenbrown :  I’ve been looking into a clinic in Cayman Islands! Because I have CAD it doesn’t make sense for us (35% surcharge on everything due to exchange rate), but they said IVF with fresh transfer was about $6500 and meds $2-3000. Then each FET after was about $1500. Plus accommodations and rental car and flights of course. 

Post # 75
711 posts
Busy bee

anev :  I am SO tempted! If we could use airmiles it wouldn’t be that bad. Maybe if we fail the first few rounds and run out of cash we can do that lol 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors