(Closed) Are significant others of guests allowed at bachelorette parties?

posted 8 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: Should significant others of bridal party members go to the bachelorette party?
    Yes : (33 votes)
    26 %
    No : (92 votes)
    74 %
  • Post # 48
    5360 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2015

@zonabee:  Wow. That’s a weird one. I have a lot of gay friends but I guess in most cases I’m close to their partners as well (just lucked out!). I would say it’s perfectly ok to say “I was hoping this could be a night for just us”, because really if they were both women dating men no one would expect you to include their boyfriends. Yeah, it sucks that their fiances will be at the hotel alone, but won’t that be the case for your husband when they get married?

Post # 49
    2297 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

Since the wedding party is coed to begin with, you can really go one of two ways with this.  One is to invite the SOs of everyone in the wedding party, and the other is to invite none of the SOs.  There would be no particular reason to treat same-sex couples differently from opposite-sex couples.

Post # 50
    2721 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

I don’t really think it’s any different than if you had a straight couple who were flying in and only one of them was in the bridal party.  You wouldn’t make the groom invite the man to this bachelor party just because the woman was attending the bachelorette.  

Post # 52
    2297 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

@zonabee:  Well, you could tell them that an official lesbian of your acquaintance says they don’t get a plus one.  LOL  Alternatively, you could tell them that since it is a coed party, you couldn’t find a way to include their SOs that wouldn’t require you to include the SOs of all members of the wedding party, which would make the size of the bachelorette party unwieldy.

Post # 53
    42 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: April 2015

No significant others allowed. Im a Bridesmaid or Best Man for an upcoming friends wedding. The bride asked one male friend to be invited to the hens night, but not his partner. His partner knows the bride also and is lovely, but thats not the idea of a hens night is it? No couples allowed. FYI Hens = bachelorette in Australia.

Post # 54
    1943 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I think its totally reasonable to not have them go, especially as it doesn’t seem like the SO’s are friends of yours.  I mean, I don’t see any reason to treat them differently from a heterosexual couple, you know?  Like you said, its meant to be a girls night out to have fun on their own without their SOs…

Post # 55
    266 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

My sister’s gay and I invited her girlfriend… No one minded that they were the only couple there. In fact, my best friend/MOH was grateful for the “girls’ night” and the break from her boyfriend.

The topic ‘Are significant others of guests allowed at bachelorette parties?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors