Post # 1
my fiance wants to move to austin after the wedding. he spent 5 years in san antonio, and misses texas terribly, while i’ve never lived anywhere but massachusetts and western ny. i’ve never even been to texas.
so. talk to me about austin. do you like it? what’s the job market like (FI is in IT and tech support, i’m in graphic design)? housing market? is it a good place to raise a family?
Post # 3
@colorofmyheart: I spent part of my childhood there. I think the biggest differences will be climate, cost of living and culture. Much warmer, obviously. But the people were a lot nicer down South compared to how they are in the NE. I haven’t been down there in decades now. But I hear great things about it. Life is slower and much more affordable. Truth be told, I kinda didn’t like the school system I was in. But then again, my family wasn’t exactly in an affluent area back then, either. If raising a family is your main concern, I think you’ll love it there.
Post # 4
Austin is awesome…one of my favorite places.
Lots of job opportunities
- Lower cost of living compared to other parts of the country
- Plenty of things to keep you busy (beautiful parks, restaurants, shopping, bars, museums, etc)
- You can literally take your dog ANYWHERE (if you don’t like/have dogs I guess this is a con lol)
- Traffic and crazy streets
- Some of the schools districts in Austin area are incredible and some are a bit crappy…depends on where you live
- I don’t know if this is a con or a pro, but Texas is very warm (or stupidly hot)…all the time. We have no Winter…it’s been in the 70s this week (which is super beautiful!…but it’s February!!!)