(Closed) Are you a smoker?

posted 10 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: Are you a smoker?
    Yep, I light up. : (13 votes)
    8 %
    No, never have, never will. : (68 votes)
    43 %
    Used to, but I've quit. : (30 votes)
    19 %
    Only socially, every now and then. : (20 votes)
    13 %
    Tried it once or twice, but it wasn't for me. : (26 votes)
    17 %
  • Post # 31
    4136 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

View original reply
    @moderndaisy:ditto! fi and i quit together over a year ago, and i still have dreams that i smoke and he finds out, or he smokes by himself and then i have to smoke too so that we’re even (which is totally illogical, but it’s a dream).

Post # 32
    2857 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2011 - Bartram's Garden

I smoked for a long, long time. WAY too long. I finally quit about a year and a half ago.

ETA: 90% of the time, I don’t miss it at all. But once in a while, if I’ve had a few drinks or if I catch a whiff of a Camel Light (my old brand), I totally want a cigarette.

Post # 33
    1289 posts
    Bumble bee

FH and I quit in January and have stayed strong! We are now non smokers and couldn’t be happier!

Post # 34
    7581 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2010

I quit about 2 years ago, but honestly I loved it. I would still love to smoke if it wasn’t totally disgusting.

Post # 35
    2808 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I am, in fact, a dirty smoker. Fiance HATES it with a burning passion, and I don’t do it around him. I promised him I would quit before we get hitched because I think he wants a family right away (YIKES), and I need to be healthy before we TTC.

Procrastination is so bad, but I keep thinking about how much time I have before we get married…I need to get on this…

Post # 36
    3148 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2010

I was down to about once a week – social smoking – for many years. I decided to quit all smoking for the wedding. so far, it’s been easy, but maybe that’s because I wasn’t smoking very much anyway.

View original reply
    @ellabee: I think it helps very much that my Fiance does not smoke. he rarely gave me a hard time, but I know what he thinks about it. that’s good motivation for me!

Post # 37
    2714 posts
    Sugar bee

I smoke socially once in a while. You know, outside a bar, after a few drinks… But most of my friends who used to smoke have quit, so I don’t really have a reason to even socially smoke anymore!

View original reply
    @bells: Smoking confuses me because there are absolutely no good reasons to do it. I cant for the life of me figure out why people spend money on this.

I feel this way about people who eat at McDonald’s…. 😛

Post # 38
    1484 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

Once in a while, usually after a bunch of alcohol.

Post # 39
    389 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I quit cold turkey two years ago after smoking for 12 years.  I’m still pissed at myself for ever taking up the habit in the first place.  Unfortunately I’ll still smoke a couple if I go out to have a few beers, which is a rare occurrence.  My fiance is a heavy smoker and smokes AT LEAST a pack a day.  I feel like I should be more sympathetic since I smoked for so long but it’s really starting to disgust me, and he’s always been very inconsiderate of others when it comes to his habit.  Saturday morning I woke up at 5:30 AM and he wasn’t in bed…he was in the bathroom smoking a cigarette and came right back to bed afterwards.  I was repulsed!!!! 

Post # 40
    578 posts
    Busy bee

I quit 12-9-9 and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life! I smoked for 10 years started in highschool to be cool haha. My lungs feel great but ive put on 15 pds boooo!  Im determined to loose the weight this spring/summer now that I have quit I think why did I do it?  It was a stress reliver but now I just take  deep breath or go for a short walk. You have to have will power to quit and some peope just dont have it. Doesnt make them a bad person but I have saved some serious $$ by quitting and my company gave me $ 500 for the first year I quit and they will give me another $500 for the second so Im excited about that to but my main reason was I didnt want to be a smoker mom and I smell great!

Post # 41
    15125 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

I’ve never tried it and have no desire to try it or be anywhere near cigarettes.  I can’t stand the smell of it and was SO happy when they banned smoking from all establishments. 

View original reply
    @bells: I agree.  Guess you’d have to be addicted to understand it.

View original reply
    @TinyTina:haha.. touche!  I don’t eat McD either.  =)

Post # 43
    3942 posts
    Honey bee

This sounds so weird…but I think I was a smoker in a past life. There have been several times where I have been stressed to the max, and I crave a cigarette. But Ive never been a smoker! Ive tried it 2 or 3 times while drinking but that was it. Its the strangest thing.

Nobody in family smokes so I was just never around it growing up, and never had the desire to start.

Post # 44
    578 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @Wonderwoman217:

I quit cold turkey…  whyquit.com helped and knowing that I wasnt putting 4,000 chemicals in my body every puff helped alot too. Im not gonna lie I miss it I am the only person in  my circle of friends who doesnt smoke! You have to really want to quit… MY Fiance used the gum but he didnt smoke as much as I did… good luck to whoever is trying to quit!

Post # 45
    5089 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
    @tksjewelry:

Every person that says derogatory things about smoking actually makes me keep smoking because it simply ticks me off.

Yeah, just keep on killing yourself slowly! That’ll show ’em! 😀

I actually agree that it’s kind of obnoxious when people are really self-righteous about it. But this response made me laugh. 

It’s like my dad used to tell me about resentment: “Resentment is a poison that you take and hope the other guy dies.”  This seems to be along the same lines.

The topic ‘Are you a smoker?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors