(Closed) Are you a smoker?

posted 9 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: Are you a smoker?
    Yep, I light up. : (13 votes)
    8 %
    No, never have, never will. : (68 votes)
    43 %
    Used to, but I've quit. : (30 votes)
    19 %
    Only socially, every now and then. : (20 votes)
    13 %
    Tried it once or twice, but it wasn't for me. : (26 votes)
    17 %
  • Post # 46
    915 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

I used to smoke socially in college, but I haven’t smoked in years now.  My Fiance can’t stand smokers.

Post # 47
    5103 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

I “quit” over 10 months ago. Every once in a blue moon I’ll smoke one or two when I drink. But usually I regret it.

Fiance is trying to quit, but having a harder time than me. He probably smokes 3 cigs every other day. And when he does my sense of smell is heightened to it.

Post # 48
    2076 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

View original reply
    @Wonderwoman217:  I second
    View original reply
    @amyddlz:‘s comment.  I quit because I wanted to quit.  My Fiance and I had tried quitting soooo  many times in the past but it never stuck.  We finally decided that we’d quit the first of the year.  I made the decision for myself after I noticed I couldn’t catch my breath after I climbed a flight of stairs and it scared the crap out of me.  My Fiance was on board and easily quit when I quit.  He has less cravings than I do, but it’s easier knowing that we’re both there to support each other.

I used sugar-free gum for a while to help with cravings, but the thing that’s helped the most is being active.  Just going for a walk and getting my lungs working again makes me think about how good I feel now that my lungs are clean.

It also helps to know that I smell awesome now.  🙂  Seriously.  Sometime I catch a whiff of my hair or my deodorant or something and I realize that I smell really clean and great.  Haha

I also read up at whyquit.com and joined their message board.  I post over there when I’m having a bad craving or want to brag about how long I’ve gone without a cigarette.  It sounds lame, but it’s helped me.

I know I couldn’t have quit if I didn’t actually want to quit.  I miss smoking after a big meal, while I’m on a long car ride, and when I’m really upset, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Post # 49
    7975 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

View original reply
    @tksjewelry: Actually, I don’t wear perfume or use scented body wash/lotion/detergents if I can help it, since the fragrances are very irritating to my skin. I also don’t smoke pot, rarely light candles (and prefer the unscented ones) or inscense, hate camping because of the fire smoke, etc. and live for my exhaust fan in the kitchen. 🙂

Post # 50
    1888 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

My dad began smoking at age 12 but quit about 10 years ago. He promised every one of his kids (all 7 of us) that if he caught us smoking, we would have to eat an entire pack of cigarettes (one of his friends actually had to do that as a punishment). I guess you could say that a threat like that made me never want to go near a pack!! Plus I’m become highly allergic to the smoke since my dad stopped, and even developed asthma (I think both are a result of being exposed to his smoke during my childhood).

I wish you luck when you decide to quit!! Best decision my dad made, and I’m so proud of him!

Post # 51
    3600 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 1992

I get the urge when I drink. Not every time I drink, though. I also have one when things at work are being really tough. I dfend this because my tough day at work isn’t the boss on my case, it’s a patient trying to claw someone’s eye out, and nearly succeeding.

This adds up to one every month or two.

Post # 52
    2116 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

I smoked on and off invarying degrees from 17 to 22, from about 20 on I was a ‘heavy’ smoker, 5-10 cigarettes per day usually. I quit on new years this year. It wasn’t planned and it wasn’t a resolution. At about 11:30pm on new years eve I ran out of cigarettes and decided I just wasn’t going to smoke anymore. It was incredibly easy for me to quit.

I tried and failed in the past, its honestly about changing your own mind. People telling me the dangers/it was gross just made me want to blow smoke in their faces. I don’t even know why I quit, it didn’t have much to do with health, to be honest. Its a decision everyone needs to make for themselves.

A note to non-smokers: PESTERING PEOPLE TO QUIT SMOKING WONT REALLY HELP, mentioning it occasionally is nice because you care about them but I STILL can’t stand it when people bedger on about it.

The topic ‘Are you a smoker?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors