(Closed) Are you going out to shop Black Friday?

posted 8 years ago in Holidays
  • poll: Are you shopping Black Friday?
    Are you kidding?? Wild horses couldn't keep me from going out! I'll shop 'till I drop. : (13 votes)
    7 %
    I'm starting Thursday night and only hitting places open Thursday and at midnight... then I'm done : (5 votes)
    3 %
    Maybe? Depends on how I feel and how early I wake up : (6 votes)
    3 %
    Maybe. But only online. If I think about it. : (9 votes)
    5 %
    Yes, but only online. Who wants to deal with crowds and parking and lines?? Crazy people... : (15 votes)
    8 %
    Probably not. : (6 votes)
    3 %
    Nope. I don't shop, so I couldn't care less. : (3 votes)
    2 %
    Not dealing with any of that crap. I'm sleeping in and enjoying the day off... and leftovers. : (72 votes)
    39 %
    I'm not from the States... you silly people and your "Black Friday" : (5 votes)
    3 %
  • Post # 62
    199 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

The last two years, I was a volunteer at a thrift store in town, and Friday was one of the days I was normally there so you could say I worked Black Friday then.

After I found out I was pregnant in April, I started cutting back on my hours (part of which was due to doctor’s appointments) and resigned altogether in July for multiple reasons, including anticipation of a move (which ended up falling through due to unforseen circumstances)…but I digress.

As far as shopping Black Friday this year, barring a dire emergency or getting last minute stuff for the baby (due in 19 days), I’d say probably not. For one thing, dealing with mega crowd’s is not really FI’s thing (and he and I generally do our shopping together). Also, I’m far enough along in the pregnancy that the baby “might” decide to put in an early appearance, and if he (again the baby) is going to give me “the signal”, I’d rather it happen in the comfort/privacy of my home. At least then it’d only be a few minutes drive to the hospital.

ETA: My stepdad on the other hand, works at Home Depot so he will be working before the sun’s even up on that day.

Post # 63
    3092 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I posted this on my FB:

Few things…Black Friday is coming up and I can foresee the really heinous comments that are going to be flying around my internetz.  If there are pictures of people rushing for the low price item we will call them savage and greedy and inhuman.  We will sit on our high horses of privilege because we don’t have to worry about getting the lowest price possible to give our children gifts, we can shop retail, we can shop local, we can shop organic. 

There is no more or less greed on Black Friday than there is already inherent in consumption.  But there is a villain in all this…and that villain is big business like WalMart who exploits their workers through low wages and union busting.  This is a part of the corporate welfare system…yeah, you know “welfare” that thing you hate.  Companies like WalMart can pay their employees so little with no benefits that despite working tirelessly they still fall below the poverty level and qualify for welfare, through all of our tax dollars.  So you think it’s the lazy person, but it’s really WalMart who you’re handing a check to. 

Think about it.  Disagree.  Agree.  Do what you need to do, but we can’t just ignore the ills of our time away.  I support the boycotts in solidarity with workers…and I hope everyone will.  But I also hope that we don’t miss the point and end up blaming the victims. 

Wallstreet to Walmart: Occupy Black Friday

Boycott Walmart

So for us, there’s not really a poll option other than NO.

Post # 64
    2966 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

i don’t usually participate in that madness. my husband’s family is having their thanksgiving dinner on friday, so i probably wouldn’t go shopping even if i wanted to (unless it’s for food to take to my sis-in-law’s for dinner, haha).

Post # 65
    4688 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

Maybe on line, but definitively not stores!

Post # 66
    1249 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 1992

I am going to Jo-Ann’s at 6 AM, but I do that every year.  People are always really nice, and the flannel sale this year is incredible!  Everyone gets pajamas for Christmas!  The bulk of my Christmas shopping is Friday at Jo-Anns.  I’ll also get some Christmas decorations. 

I may go to JC Penney around noon, haven’t decided.  I need to thrift store shop for presents that day too.

I am also shopping on Small Business Saturday!  Bees, if you don’t go out on Friday, definitely consider shopping at a small, local business on Saturday! 

EDIT: The reason I’m shopping this weekend is because only the weekend of the 15th is free, and I am NOT waiting 10 days til Christmas to shop!!

Post # 67
    3622 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

Hell NO! I’m working anyway, but you could not pay me to go out on Black Friday in NYC!

Post # 68
    4605 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

View original reply
    @red_rose:  Yeah. This. My FH is going to be working Thanksgiving Day. A 13 hour shift, so he won’t get to see his family at all, just like last year and every year for the last 7 years he’s worked there. It’ll be this way on Christmas Eve too. The store may close at 8, but all those employees are kept there  until all of the buggies and things have been brought in and locked up. So while everyone else may have to be out of there by 8, my FH won’t be getting home until closer to 11.

So, since I have known FH, we have not been able to see each other on Thanksgiving, on Christmas Eve or on Christmas Day, so no, I do not participate in Black Friday shopping because I know that if I wasn’t there, then all of those other employees could have been with their families actually enjoying the holidays. 

Post # 69
    2104 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

HELL NO.  DH worked retail for a few years…Black Friday was on his birthday one year.  🙁  I’ll stay inside, bake, and decorate for Christmas instead.

Post # 70
    3063 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

Although I was offered to take the day off, I figured I might as well since I won’t be shopping anyway and will do my best to stay away from all retail stores lol. I hate crowds!

The topic ‘Are you going out to shop Black Friday?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors