(Closed) Are you inviting the Priest to your reception?

posted 10 years ago in Catholic
  • poll: Are you inviting the Priest to your reception?
    Yes, we don't know him well but we thought it was a good gesture : (64 votes)
    40 %
    Yes, he know us personally : (60 votes)
    37 %
    Maybe, Undecided : (14 votes)
    9 %
    No, we would have liked to, but we just couldn't add an extra guest : (4 votes)
    2 %
    No, we didn't feel we needed to : (17 votes)
    11 %
    Other, please explain below : (2 votes)
    1 %
  • Post # 32
    620 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

We are inviting our priest and he will sit at our table – we will have the 6 people in the wedding party and him. He is a very good friend of ours, although I have actually only ever seen him conduct mass once, during my confirmation. He is a principal at a school (where my Fiance went) and so only does somewhat private masses mostly.

We often have him over for dinner also, so its a very unusual situation.

Post # 33
    11 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2011

@MissShork:

Yes we are inviting our Priest.  he is a close family friend of my In-Laws, so he will sit with them at the reception.  Kinda funny but he reminds me of Bill Murray, so I keep waiting for the jokes to come out.  I’m still waiting…

Post # 34
    40 posts
    Newbee

I hadn’t even thought about this… he wouldn’t be able to come anyway though because we have a Saturday wedding & he has a service after our ceremony.  But, we haven’t known him very long (just since we got engaged) and I’m not Catholic, so it kind of makes me uncomfortable, and I want to feel comfortable at my reception.

Post # 35
    310 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

We did! It was soo great, many people loved it. (They’re always in their cassocks) One had to leave to attend to a sickly man. The other two were there all evening chatting with our guests even some that weren’t Catholic came up to chat with them.

Post # 35
    310 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

We did! It was soo great, many people loved it. (They’re always in their cassocks) One had to leave to attend to a sickly man. The other two were there all evening chatting with our guests even some that weren’t Catholic came up to chat with them.

Post # 36
    333 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

Our priest is a personal friend so yes, we’re inviting him.  When he got the invitation, he texted me saying “what?  did you think I wasn’t going to come?”  Even if he wasn’t a friend, most priests are used to chatting up with strangers so I wouldn’t worry too much about where to seat him.  Also, it’s nice for him to be there bless the food at the reception.

Post # 37
    111 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I just got involved in the church about 6 months ago.  The priest that normally says mass is on vacation during our wedding, so the other priest will do our wedding.  I wouldn’t say he knew me personally before we started meeting with him, but we invited him to the reception anyway.  He actually kindly turned us down.  He said receptions are weird for priests because they don’t marry and after the grace, they don’t really have much to do. 

Basically, I think it depends on the priest and his personality.  Our other priest is really relaxed and more happy go lucky.  I think he would have come to the reception.  Our head priest is more reserved.  I guess you can just put it out there and invite him.  Leave it open for them.  We told our priest we had a seat for him.  He could come or not, whatever he felt comfortable wiht. 

Post # 38
    1066 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

Wow I had no idea that so many people invited their priest!  This didn’t even occur to me!  I don’t think we are, but now it seems strange that we’re not!

Post # 39
    1175 posts
    Bumble bee

We invited ours and asked him to say grace for before dinner.  We know him quite well, as he also did our Marriage Prep Classes with us.

Post # 40
    811 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

Our minister just kinda invited herself. I am secretly glad she did because I would have never known she wanted to come!

Post # 41
    23 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: July 2009

@MissShork: Yes, we invited our Priest to our reception.  Something to keep in mind is that the Priests generally have very busy Saturday’s – they have confessions in their parish beginning at 3 or 4pm on Saturday’s and then Sunday vigil Mass at 5 or 5pm in most parishes.  So they will thank you but generally can’t make the reception unless you are related or very good family friends.

Post # 42
    3343 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

We invited our priest, but he had to do confession a half hour after our ceremony and mass at 5:30, so he declined.

Post # 43
    152 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

Our officient is a personal friend, so he would be invited whether he married us or not!

The topic ‘Are you inviting the Priest to your reception?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors