(Closed) Assigned seating & then free for all?

posted 8 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
1418 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I was always under the impression that the assigned seating was for dinner only.  I would do assigned tables to avoid the chaos for dinner, but after that, who cares!  People will be mingling and dancing and grabbing a drink, so if there is an empty seat and someone I want to visit with beside it, then I will take it!

Post # 4
17 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I keep seeing that people prefer assigned seating but I’m not doing it. The wedding I went to this weekend didn’t have assigned seating nor did my dear friend’s wedding last spring.

I think unassigned seating DEFINITELY promotes mingling. I think the only thing you have to take care is if you have guests that don’t know each other. In that case, I suggest doing what my friend Carly did.

She had one friend from out of town that was not part of a group of friends. I’m in her group from grad school, she also had college friends but they were all in the wedding party. Ruth was a friend from outside these groups. Carly called up a couple of us ladies  when she sent out invites and told us about her friend Ruth. She asked us if we’d be interested in sharing a hotel room with her and stuff. We had like 15+ people coming we new so we’d been planning on getting several hotel rooms. We said sure, got her email address and included her on the reservations. Then, she sat with us that night at the unassigned seating. Carly very easily took her friend that knew no one and surrounded her other friends to include her in the group.

I’m sure you have a few outgoing people on your list that can help make sure all the guests feel comfortable and no one has that “first day in the cafeteria at a new school” experience!

Post # 5
9029 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I’m only reserving certain tables for family, and wedding party the rest of the guests can sit wherever they please.

Post # 6
566 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I agree with dance.  Assigned seating is very helpful for dinner, but after dinner people know they can mingle and switch seats.  I don’t think announcements are necessary.

The topic ‘Assigned seating & then free for all?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors