(Closed) Assigned seating at a single table for 100

posted 5 years ago in Reception
Post # 2
1949 posts
Buzzing bee

The logistics of having to walk around one long table io get to my seat or to go greet someone does not seam practical.  Why not three tables in a row? THat way people can move around a bit easier.  Also If you are not doing assigned seating you will have to have extra seats to account for people trying to sit together

Post # 3
1290 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

It will be miserable for the people without assinged seats.  They will walk up to a space, and be told, we are saving it.  It will be embarrassing.   You will need extra seats, or some people will not be able to sit with family and friends.  At a minium, divide the table into sections, with runners or ribbons, and assign sections.

Post # 4
1402 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

It was nowhere near 100 people at one table, but a friend of mine solved the very-long-table-seating conundrum by dividing the table into imaginary sections, and posting a seating chart as if it were all separate tables. So, the first 10 seats or so belonged to “1”, the next ten to “2”, etc. etc., even though there were not really separate tables. She then used place cards to make it perfectly clear when guests found their section. If it’s all one huge table for you, you may want to specify which side of the table they’ll be on, as well, or else someone may have a very long walk when they realise they’re on the wrong side! Something like, “1 East”, “6 West”, maybe.

Post # 7
664 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I’d do assigned seats– it’s generally a lot easier for guests. If you’re inviting whole families, chances are they’ll all want to sit together, and it’s easier to just sit in their assigned seats than walk around the table asking “Are these five seats taken?” over and over, only to discover that there are really only sets of twos or threes leftover.

Post # 8
1402 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

View original reply
mrsd22:  Yes, definitely. Otherwise it won’t be crystal clear where you want them to sit. Since the table numbers are imaginary, some guests may not be able to picture it as clearly as you can. 

Caveats: if you used some sort of divider between each ‘table’, like a runner, that could work without indvidual place cards. Alternatively, you could put the table numbers on each chair (think gold die cut numbers or something), so that people know exactly which seats belong to which ‘table’.

Post # 10
1202 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

We had incredibly long tables and divided each into imaginary shorter tables of 8ish guests, complete with individual table numbers and individual place cards. 

Post # 11
3170 posts
Sugar bee

I think it’ll be a logistical nightmare for people to walk around a 100-seat table looking for place cards with their names. On the other hand, not having assigned seating would be even worse, as PPs pointed out. If you must do it, I would number each seat from 1 through 100 and have a place card with each person’s name and seat number on it at his or her place, and also do one of those big seating charts where you put everyone’s name in alphabetical order with their seat numbers next to the names. Maybe include a diagram of the table itself with each seat numbered on the chart as well. That way, each guest can find his or her name and seat number on the chart and sit down straight away instead of milling around the table trying to find his or her seat and creating congestion around the table.

Post # 12
872 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Make a seating chart.  Number the chairs on the chart in order.  Then list the names alphabetically so that people can look up their number and then check the chart to see where they will find their placecard.

Post # 13
1290 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I think you might consider using different color table clothes, and assining people by color. 

Post # 14
4835 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

View original reply
mrsd22:  I think you should assign seats – otherwise you risk lots of awkward gaps and “we’re saving this” type of interactions.  Not great.

Of course, then there is the logistical challenge of figuring out how people are going to find their assigned seat at the long table!  What I would do is divide the table up into sections and label them, just like they were seperate tables (so the first 8 seats are table 1, the second 8 are table 2, etc).  Do a seating chart at the entry to the reception so that people would know which “table” they are at, then do place cards at the actual seats.

Post # 15
8674 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2016

View original reply
mrsd22:  I would assign seats (in fact, I also am doing a similar seating thing–though I’ll have 2 tables).  A single table of 100 means that a lot of strangers will have to sit next to each other, and you have the opportunity to increase the likelihood your guests will enjoy themselves by seating people together you think will get along.

I’m putting their names on place cards, and putting those at their seats.  I really like @ElbieKay’s idea of having numbered chairs.  But otherwise this works too:

The topic ‘Assigned seating at a single table for 100’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors