(Closed) AT&T vs. Verizon

posted 8 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
928 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Verizon for sure!!

I had ATT forever, sinceI first got a cell phone at 15 and I just changed to Verizon on my FI’s bill and I love it so much more. I had terrible service with ATT and with Verizon, it’s so much better, especially with customer service. I really like the 5 talk plan where you can chose your own people, like the unlimited mobile to mobile. I like the options and prices better with Verizon, especially the family plan, and they have really good internet.

I just overall like everything about Verizon and I’m so glad I switched to his.

Post # 4
948 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

I have Verizon and he has ATT, no real difference between the two for us except he has rollover and our families have Verizon so we talk for free on mine.  Neither of us sees the need to switch, plus its nice when we are out hiking or camping when one of us doesn’t have service the other usually does. 

Post # 5
548 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I had a terrible customer service experience trying to terminate my Verizon account so we could switch to AT&T (for the iPhone). On one hand, I’m inclined to say go with AT&T b/c Verizon was terrible to me. On the other hand, that means you might have to go through the same cancellation customer service hell I went through.

Post # 6
461 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Verizon really does have better coverage, but I like my iphone so we have ATT.

Post # 7
392 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Verizon for sure!!

For us its a service issue, ATT markets in Southern Illinois but has horrible service here.  We own a boat and ATT doesn’t work at all at the lake we go to.

Other than that I’d say all cell companies are going to be the same.  I’ve talked to verizon customer service multiple times and they’ve always been helpful.

I’ve added lines to my plan for small amounts of time and then cancelled and never had the problems @worcester is talking about as long as you’re no longer under contract verizon has never given me issues and if you are under contract you just have to pay the fee which can be quite pricey.

Post # 8
3587 posts
Sugar bee

This is a problem I dread. My SO has Sprint and keeps trying to get me to go over to them…nope.

I like Verizon. When I first got a cell phone back in the old days, AT&T a.k.a. Cingular didn’t work for me. I lived out in the country and it only worked in the city. Still the same now. I recently, VERY recently had a friend visit me at my mom’s house and her phone didn’t work. Mine did. No, I dont live in that town anymore, but I like my phone working anywhere I go, even deep on the family farm.(Yep, it works there too.LOL

Post # 9
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

No one can really answer that except for people that live in your area!

For instance, I lived in Tucson AZ and had ATT (then cingular) but switched to Verizon because ATT doesn’t really service AZ well. But then I moved back home to LA and I couldn’t even get a cell signal in my own house! So we switched back to ATT and I’v never had a problem.

Honestly, both companies have their issues, and a lot of people complain that ATT has terrible service but its more a matter of location.

Post # 10
2408 posts
Buzzing bee

i’m on verizon. been on since i first got my cellphone. at the time, it had the best coverage and rates for a national plan [since i was going between michigan and cali for school] than the others. plus, cingular and at&t [before at&t bought cingular] didn’t get the same coverage on campus. i had friends who had them tell me NOT to get them. haven’t had a problem with verizon and i can get coverage a lot of places.

Post # 11
1757 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

All phone companies are equally evil/incompetent when used over a long enough period of time. In other words, stay with any of them for long enough and they’ll piss you off. If you’re not set on having a company-specific phone, I’d just flip a coin and go with one or the other.

Post # 12
548 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

To give a few more details, I was no longer under contract, but was the holder of a family plan that included my parents and sisters. I had a lot of issues terminating my line and transferring the plan to my parents, without terminating all of their lines as well.

Then a year later, there was some kind of problem with my sister’s line, and Verizon sent a collection agency after me. No bills, nothing, just all of a sudden I was getting calls from a collection agency about charges that were incurred after my name was supposedly removed from the account.

Verizon refused to talk to me about it because their policy is not to talk to you about details once you have been referred to a collection agency. The collection agency said they had not been given any information, except that I owed Verizon $50. I just paid the $50 because the principled stand wasn’t worth the hassle and the possible damage to my credit.

Post # 13
536 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I think it really depends on your area for service!  I would say I think Verizon is better..we just switched to AT&T to get the iphone and we have had a lot of problems with dropped calls and echoing in the background..I never had these problems with Verizon.  You should price it out and decide which company has better service in your area!  Either way I think they are both good companies…But I do like Verizon better:)

Post # 14
3871 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I know people who swear by Verizon and I swear by ATT.  I’ve had ATT for almost 10 years.  I’ve realized that if you have been with a company for so long, you learn their quirks.  People say Verizon has better service and I think ATT has pretty good service too.  My sister who was with ATT for a long time recently switched to Verizon.  I asked her how she likes it and she says it ok.  I think she just has to get used to Verizon’s quirks.  She doesn’t like that she doesn’t have roll over.  She also said that sometimes she doesn’t have service sometimes, even though the company says they have the best service.  I don’t think there is such thing as having service 100% of the time. 

ATT customer service is great.  I’ve always had good experiences with them. They take care of things when something is wrong.

Now the Darling Husband had verizon and I have an ATT family plan.  So it was so much cheaper and more ideal for him to drop his verizon plan and hop on to my family plan.  ($75 vs $50)  It was a pain in the butt to cancel his verizon plan.

What I would do is check out the prices and get the pros and cons of each plan.  Which one is cheaper?  What is the cancellation fee?  New phones (iphone?) Rates?  Minutes? Rollover  minutes?

Post # 15
184 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I used to have AT&T, and Fiance and I switched to Verizon.  I’m so glad we did!  Our service is so much better and our bill is cheaper. We have the Driod and love it. 

Post # 16
984 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Fiance has AT&T for the iPhone and I have Verizon and we are having a similar problem/discussion. He agrees with me that AT&T’s coverage sucks where we are and where we go (I agree with PP that it depends on where you are at), and likes that I pretty much have service wherever. The problem is that Verizon doesn’t have good phones , which is super important to my techie geek FI. So we came up with a pretty good compromise, we compared Verizon’s prices to Sprint and Sprint has a much more reasonable family plan for us (unlimited Data and text, 700 minutes, nights start at 7) and the phones on Sprint are better. He had Sprint before he went for to AT&T for the iPhone and his coverage was good pretty much everywhere. So both of us are giving up our carriers and going to a new carrier together. 

The topic ‘AT&T vs. Verizon’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors