(Closed) Atheist/Agnostic Bees: Children & religion. What’s your plan?

posted 9 years ago in Secular
Post # 62
129 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

We aren’t really atheist/agnostic, but we don’t go to church and don’t include public aspects of religion in our lives. I don’t have children yet, but I don’t plan on taking them to church unless they express interest. I will educate them on any religion(s) they take an interest in, but being uninterested in all religion is fine too. I think it’s a personal choice and I won’t make it for anyone.

Post # 63
60 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

We will not be raising our kids in any sort of religious environment. I have thought of gradually explaining about different religions to our child. I do worry about religion coming up at school and it being a situation where my kid’s the only one asking, “Who is Jesus?” and then either dealing with classmates, or even school administrators and teachers, who are going to make my kid feel alienated for not being part of the ‘know.’

Fiance feels that I’m overly sensitive to it, as one of my classmates gained national attention when she called killed over religious issues. She was 12, a non-Christian, and bullied with religious taunts by our classmates (this was a public school, by the way). I know her story was unusual, but I do not want my kid to inadvertently set himself apart at a young age like that.

Post # 64
22 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 1969

We’re planning on exposing our kids to all the different religions and creation myths. I actually LOVE creation myths and enjoy reading about them. 

I wouldn’t differentiate the Christian creation myth with the Aztec one, or the one J.R.R. Tolkien created in The Silmarillion. Which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful creation myths that there is. This way, our kids will get a good understanding of all the different belief systems out there and if they want to choose one to believe in, they can. But by showing them all the different ones on a level playing field, I think it would give them a better context to understand the fact that human beings, all across the world have always tried to come up with the answers to the meaning and existence of life. And that there isn’t necessarily one *right* answer or any answer at all. 

The topic ‘Atheist/Agnostic Bees: Children & religion. What’s your plan?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors