(Closed) August 2013 – Engagement parties

posted 6 years ago in August 2013
Post # 3
11234 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

I think we would love to have one, but it’s not going to happen. We can’t afford it, for one. We’d love to do a backyard bbq sort of thing, just something casual, but we live in an apartment, so the only place we could have it would be at FI’s dad and stepmom’s, but that would mean that FI’s mom/mom’s side wouldn’t come. I gave up on the idea, haha.

Post # 4
206 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - Walnut Beach Resort

Sorry I’m not an August ’13 brideEmbarassed but we had ours 11 months before the wedding after 4 months of being engaged, and we had a backyard BBQ. It was fab! 🙂

Post # 5
1576 posts
Bumble bee

FI’s Mom is being gracious enough to host a backyard BBQ for us this weekend!

My parents are driving up as I type. I’m super excited. It’s going to be so fun to have all different sides of our families together. FI’s parents are divorced and he doesn’t think his half sisters have even ever met each other. So that will be great too. Sounds like theres gong to be all kinds of home cooked food at the party.

I’m espcially excited to show off 5 pictures from our engagment session. No one has seen them yet besides Fiance and I. Our photographer was so awesome to edit a handful and email them to us only 3 days after taking the pictures.

FI’s mom and her 2 daugters haven’t let me help with any of the set up. They just asked for colors. I can’t wait to see what they come up with!

Post # 6
4653 posts
Honey bee

We are not having one no one offered to do one for us. So we said oh well We have so  many other things going on right now that I dont even know when we would have had time for one anyway!

OH and By The Way I have never actually been to an engagement party and have never heard of them until I joined WB so maybe they just dont do them here?

@koi424:  How exciting that it will be a surprise!!!

Post # 7
425 posts
Helper bee

We had one about 2 months after being engaged! My parents were very nice to throw us one and it was perfect. We only invited our immediate families and the bridal party. It was really great especially because none of our families had met. We live in VT, my parents are in NJ, and Fiance parents are in FL so it was hard to ever get together and this worked as the perfect opportunity. We didn’t do anything too fancy, just used the Elks lodge (my dads a member) and had food and drinks with Ipod playing background music. 

If you are able to have one its definitely fun to get your close friends and family together to celebrate but they are definitely a newer tradition so its not a neccesity. The main reason we had ours was to introduce our families before all the planning started.

Post # 9
4352 posts
Honey bee

We didn’t have one. My parents separated within a week of us getting engaged and we didn’t want to have a party which would force them to be in a room together before they were ready. I’m really glad we decided on a long engagement because now their issues are mostly resolved, and should be old news by the time the wedding rolls around. All that said, it would have been nice to have one if the situation were different.

Post # 10
765 posts
Busy bee

I’m trying to convince my mom to let us have a -1 year anniversary party since we didn’t have an engagement party (we’ve been engaged since November), but so far I haven’t convinced her.

If I do happen to convince her it would just be a simple BBQ.

Post # 11
1576 posts
Bumble bee

It was a wonderful party! FMIL&Co did an amazing job! All the details were in purple and blue. They had balloons and bubbles and mint favors. They made so much food. The prettiest giant watermelon fruit bowls I’ve ever seen. Future Father-In-Law brought speakers that Fiance hooked up to a friend’s ipod. The grandmothers made meatballs and lasagna and all sorts of things. Future Mother-In-Law ordered a cake with our faces on it! LOL. I’ve never had my face on a cake before.

All that was fun, but the amazing part was bringing all the friends and family together. Those half sisters who never met want to be pen-pals. (AW!!!) Almost all my bridesmaids got to meet each other and hang out. All sorts of people on his side got to meet people on my side. I had the time of my life floating all around to different tables and different groups and catching up with everyone.

@VermontBride13:  It is a really great way to get all the family to meet. And also for them to meet the friends. For instance, my mom had been constantly asking… “So which one is the best man?” Now they’ve met!

Post # 12
241 posts
Helper bee

I (personally) have been pushing for one, but to be honest no matter where we have it it’ll be a drive for everyone since our families and wedding party are so spread out.

Maybe I’ll just ask for dinner out with the families again.

Post # 13
425 posts
Helper bee

@BeaukatDinner out with the families is always nice but if you want one you should have one! I was actually really surprised by our turn out. We had friends drive 4-5 hours, FI’s aunt and cousins drove from Virginia to NJ, his 90 yr old Grandma came from CT, my grandparents came up from FL, and FI’s other Aunt and Uncle came from Vegas. Yes, some people unfortunately couldn’t make it but you can never have another engagement party so it might be worth it to keep trying. If everyone is really unable to then dinner is a great option too. But if you want it I say keep pushing and I bet people will come.

Post # 14
157 posts
Blushing bee

My fiance and I threw an engagement “celebration” party where we announced our date and bridal party.  We asked our bridal party individually and they were not allowed to tell anybody that they are bridesmaids/groomsmen.  On the day of our party, we introduced each person as gave our reasons to why we chose them and our favorite memories of them and they all received a “Will you be my bridesmaid” gift.  It worked out well because the day of our engagement party was EXACTLY a year before the wedding date so we also announced our wedding day that day 🙂

By The Way, I say “celebration” party because we did not pay for anything.  We got a private room at Fuddruckers and asked everyone to celebrate our engagement with us but if they wanted to eat, they all paid for their own burgers.  We had at least 50-60 people come. 

The topic ‘August 2013 – Engagement parties’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors