August 2017 POAS

posted 3 months ago in TTC
Post # 31
6257 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: July 2016

Jamergurl921 :  hehe, well most ladies here are happy to give you a rundown.  There’s a thread called “charters of the hive” and they’re real pros.. 

But the literal book on the subject is “taking charge of your fertility”.  Honestly, I figured out how to temp without ever reading the book, but if you want a guide just borrow that from the library.

A quick rundown:

-make sure you’ve slept a good night’s sleep

-take your temp first thing in the morning, before you move pretty much.  The goal is to get your basal body temperature: movement will get your heart pumping and raise your temp.  

-Make sure the thermometer is tucked well under your tongue: too close to your teeth will give you inaccurate readings

-input your temperature on an app designed for this.  Most agree fertility friend is the best app for it, even though it’s not the prettiest app.  (Other apps are prettier but can be more difficult to edit/navigate)

that’s about it. 🙂

Post # 32
647 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

amanda1988 :  Thanks so much! One more question. Do you get up earlier like on the weekends to make sure it is done the same time as the rest of the week? And what exactly am I looking for as I’m temping? Does the temp go up or down during ovulation? I’ll check out that thread too 🙂 

Post # 33
6257 posts
Bee Keeper

Jamergurl921 :  bleh technically yes you should do that.  Some people get up, test, nd go back to sleep.  Others are just a little more sloppy. *shrug* for me I realized I can be sloppy and still get a clear pattern–you just need to figure out what you can get away with I guess.

The app will detect ovulation for you, but basically the science is as follows:

before ovulation, progesterone is low and as a result so is your temp.

when you ovulate you start to release a bunch of progesterone (actually, your corpus luteum does–it’s a temporary endocrine structure that develops from the follicle that released the egg! crazy right?) and that raises your temp.  Usually by at least 0.5 degrees Farenheit.  You can confirm you’ve ovulated if you see a sustained increase for 3+ days.  As a result, temping ONLY gives you information in hindsight.  The only predictive information it can give you is when AF will show up: many women see their temperature drop the morning AF will arrive.

If you are pregnant, the corpus luteum doesn’t disintigrate around AF like it usually does (the blastocyst lets it know using hormonal signals).  Instead, it hangs out until the end of the first trimester roughly, when the placenta can start making its own progesterone.

Post # 34
647 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

amanda1988 :  Thank you so much! Gah I was hoping I wouldn’t have to do this 🙁 

Post # 35
2329 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2016

ROLL CALL

Your age/partner’s age: 27/26

Baby #: 1

Current Cycle Day/DPO: CD1

Ovulation Date: My app is estimating 7/29

POAS Date: I’m thinking 8/12 at this stage lol

Usual Cycle Length: 28-30 days prior to BCP, but after coming off BCP at the end of May this last cycle was 41 days…so there’s that lol

Cycles Trying: This will be our second

BFP Plan (BD timing, charting, prenatals, supplements, etc.): BD timing, prenatals

Trying anything new this month? I’m thinking about trying OPKs but not 100% decided on this yet

Link to your chart if charting: N/A

Post # 36
4294 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

amanda1988 :  How did your acupuncture appt go?!

I went to someone who was very much focused on the Eastern Medicine aspect, and I’m not sure how much I buy of it…. but I honestly loved it.  Once the needles started going in, I had a similar lucid-dreaming-like experience as I had in a sensory deprivation tank.

One thing she asked, in our orientation before the accupuncture, was to see was my BBT chart, and she said that she was concerned about how my temperatures were so erratic. I would be interested in seeing if my bbts stabilize after getting acupuncture for a bit.  I have my second appt next Wednesday, which could be the day before ovulation.

Post # 37
6257 posts
Bee Keeper

SeaOfLove :  mine asked to see my BBT charts, we talked about the ultrasound and my blood tests–she asked if she could get copies–she asked about the consistency of my period etc.. turns out I fall in to a “type”.  So her goal is to make my uterus warmer, especially in the luteal phase, and make my periods more regular.  I appreciate that she asked me to start tracking my BBT again (since I’m not currently doing it) in a month or two so we can see if/how the accupuncture is working–I appreciate that her goal is objective results!

I only had about 5-10 minutes of actual accupuncture I think, so I didn’t really get that much out of it, but maybe next time (she told me that this time would be short because of how much talking we did hehe).  I was lying on my back for it and I generally doze on my belly so that may have been why.  I thought it was strange the only place she put needles was my feet, wrists, and one in my left ear–I guess I just assumed needles would go all over!

She’d like me to come back weekly until we have everything regulated etc.. since i’m travelling I won’t see her until August, but after that I’ll see her weekly.

Post # 38
4294 posts
Honey bee

amanda1988 :  I was lying on my back, as well.  She inserted one needle into my forehead, 3 into my lower stomach, one in each wrist, one in each hand, a couple in each leg, one in each ankle, and one in each foot.  The whole thing was symmetrical. I lied there for about 20-25 minutes.

She said my body is in stagnation, which I later found was Qi stagnation.  My up and down bbt charts were one of the things that showed her that.  She also says I have damp heat… not sure what that means, and she couldn’t give me a good explanation. Those explanations are where I’m skeptical.  But!  I woke up this morning, and my bbt was already steady this morning compared to previous temps this cycle, but it’s only one data point… we’ll see!

Post # 39
6257 posts
Bee Keeper

haha, yeah.  My mom is chinese so I grew up listening to fires in kidneys and winds in livers and shit like that.  My accupuncturist said a few of these terms under her breath to herself but didn’t bother telling me these things, probably for the best.

Post # 40
2329 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2016

minimalistoverplanner :  Grr my app updated itself this morning and completely changed my estimated O date (I’m guessing because my last cycle was so long). It’s now got me down for 8/2 so could you please move my POAS date to 8/16?

Post # 41
895 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Well….we weren’t gonna start for another 2 cycles BUT DH and I had a change of heart and….here we go !!

Your age/partner’s age: 27/29

Current Cycle Day/DPO: CD14

Ovulation Date: FF says 7/18

POAS Date: I’m going to try to just wait it out for AF which should be 8/1 or 8/2 

Usual Cycle Length: Since coming off BCP in April, 28-30 days. 

Cycles Trying: This will be our FIRST!

BFP Plan (BD timing, charting, prenatals, supplements, etc.): Actually BDing during my FW but that’s it! Trying to take things slow and enjoy the ride for now. Have been taking prenatals for 3 months. 

Post # 42
4294 posts
Honey bee

panda_bear3 :  Best of luck on your first cycle! I hope you get your BFP quickly!

Post # 43
4294 posts
Honey bee

I’m at cycle day 9, and in my fertile window.  I started OPKs last night.  

DH came up to me yesterday and told me he wanted to start working out again because he needs to lose weight.  He’s not super overweight, but his last medication caused him to gain weight and he’s been very sedentary.  It’s a topic I’ve been avoiding with him since we’ve has so many ups and downs with his anxiety meds.  Nonetheless, I’m super excited!  I told him that once things calm down for me, likely mid-August, I would love to get a gym membership and go 2-3 times a week with him.  I’m hoping that could really help our TTC process. 

But then, he dropped the bomb on me that he wants to switch his anxiety meds again. I’m a bit concerned what that could mean for his libido… hopefully nothing. However, I do understand why he wants to try something new. He’s going to make an appt with his PCP next week, where he’ll also ask for an SA.

ETA: I also have my second session of acupuncture this week, which will fall anywhere from the day of ovulation to a few days before.  I’m excited to go back!

Post # 44
66 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

ROLL CALL

Your age/partner’s age: 30/30

Current Cycle Day/DPO: CD10

Ovulation Date: Probably July 22-24

POAS Date: August 3

Usual Cycle Length: 24-25 days

Cycles Trying: 4

BFP Plan (BD timing, charting, prenatals, supplements, etc.): OPKs, BD timing, prenatals, preseed

Trying anything new this month? Temping, and I’ve got an appointment next week with my OB/GYN to discuss my super short LPs (5-6 days for the last 6 months)

SeaOfLove :  Thanks for the suggestion on the Podcast! Hopfully it’s not too depressing…

Post # 45
4294 posts
Honey bee

magnolia929 :  It’s a little depressing… and of course I watched it as AF was making her way in and out, but it was good overall.  Best of luck this cycle!

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors