(Closed) Auspicious Wedding Date in Oct 2009

posted 10 years ago in October 2009
Post # 3
248 posts
Helper bee

I can’t imagine that people would show up at a wedding in costume on Halloween unless your invites suggested that they do that.  If you go with that date, I see no reason not to have the theme and decor you want. You can just ignore that fact that it is Halloween. However, keep in mind that if you invite people who have children (regardless if kids are invited or not invited) they may not want to come to the wedding and have to give up their family tradition of trick-or-treating or a Halloween party. Personally, I’m not a big Halloween fan so would not particulary want that as my anniversary but if that doesn’t bother you I don’t see any reason not to have the date you want.

Post # 4
1813 posts
Buzzing bee

You can do what you want, but do you plan to have kids?  Will you forever want to be trick-or-treating with them on your anniversary?  If you are OK with it, then go for it, but I think another recent poster said people were only coming to her ceremony & not her reception, and she thought it was Halloween conflicts…

Post # 5
168 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I don’t think it’s a problem to have a non-Halloween wedding on Halloween, and I really don’t think anyone will dress up in costumes if they aren’t asked to do so. You may have an issue if there are children at the wedding – perhaps talk to parents of little ones who would be invited to see if it’s an issue. If it’s important for you to have children there, and you think you’ll have quit a few, it may be a good idea to have some fun with it. Have the normal wedding reception and ceremony with no Halloween decorations, but give each table a specific kind of candy early in the evening and invite the kids to "trick or treat" around your reception and collect a new kind of candy from each table. Also, depending on where you live, you really wouldn’t have to worry about taking your own kids trick-or-treating on your anniversary every year. At least in my community, trick-or-treating is commonly a couple of days before Halloween.

Post # 6
211 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011 - in the woods

What if you have your wedding on Sunday, November 1, and have a costume-themed rehearsal dinner the night before on Halloween?

Post # 7
62 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

To piggyback Jess’s response, you could alternatively have a wedding on Friday, October 30th.  Some reception sites may be cheaper and you could avoid the issues with Halloween.

Post # 8
190 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Hi Nicole!

I saw go with your gut, Halloween or not.  My Fiance and I are getting married on the 13th of June next year and everyone’s first question is always, "The 13th, is it a Friday?"  Our response is a laugh and no.  We went with the date because it was the only date open at many venues for June because of superstitious brides not wanting that date.  I think a late October wedding would gorgeous, and people will not come in costume unless you tell them too.  If you want to somehow pay a little homage to the holiday, you could always have masquerede masks at each place setting, people always love that.

Post # 9
12 posts
Newbee

Jess & Wolff2Be – since the title of the post is "Auspicious Wedding Days…" I think the Friday and Sunday before/after may not be possible because they wouldn’t be auspicious/blessed/lucky days.

Post # 10
236 posts
Helper bee

I don’t think you need to worry about people coming in costume (except maybe kids who won’t get out of thiers. 

Could you have a day wedding or a brunch so that you don’t lose parents to the kids and Halloween issue? This way they can do both and you can still have dancing and everything.  You could also save enough to have an after party!

Post # 11
62 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

MollyJ – I realize the reason for her post… I was simply suggesting another idea and a way to avoid the holiday since that seemed to be her concern!  I am also getting married in October 2009 and I know that those Saturdays filled up fast for many venues I was considering. 

Nicole – I think most guests will realize that its not a costume/halloween party if it doesn’t say so on your invitations.  It would take a pretty rude guest to show up dressed up on your day.

Post # 12
7053 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

My concern is this…the actual meaning of Halloween combined with a wedding day, which is a sacred union.

I’m in ATL too, and would either do the weekend before or after. Plus children of attendees would be none the happy attening a wedding vs. trick or treating. Nothing like a mopey flower girl huh?

Plus there would be NO way guests couldn’t comment on that or get around that. I wouldn’t be surprised if your dj or band broke into “monster mash” or “thriller” during your reception. Plus, what about the anniversaries? I mean, your kids will go out trick or treating and dad and mom will want to have a private night out?

I just see issues with having it on Halloween and if it were me, I’d choose another day.

The topic ‘Auspicious Wedding Date in Oct 2009’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors