I adore Austin! We’ve lived here for 8 years, and wouldn’t live anywhere else in Texas.
I’m a Literacy Specialist with Austin ISD, and my hubs is a local photographer.
Things that are great about Austin:
1. culture: music, art, food, etc.
2. friendly people
3. low crime rate
4. great schools
5. local businesses (restaurants, bookstores, etc.) that are completely one-of-a-kind
6. Some people will say traffic sucks, but try to get a place central and you may not even have to get on the highways much.
7. everywhere has wifi (this might sound dorky, but it’s true– Austin puts NYC to shame in this category)
8. The Alamo Drafthouse!!!
9. the parks are AMAZING and tons of them are right in the middle of town
10. There are so many coffeeshops for those coffeelovers.
11. There are fabulous restaurants and winebars and truly any kind of shop you can imagine. (I guess this is synonymous with #5)
12. Even though it’s a recession, the housing market hasn’t plummeted the way it has elsewhere.
13. Central Market
I know there are lots more, but I’m just going off the top of my head. Hahahahaha! Can you tell I LOVE Austin?
Things that are NOT great about Austin:
1. The allergens are pretty hideous, because of all our trees and such.
2. In the summer, the heat is killer. You can circumvent this one by holing up in a pool or Barton Springs, and cranking the AC.
3. It can take awhile to find the perfect job, because it’s fairly competetive.
4. If you choose to live outside the city, you’ll definitely deal with commuter traffic, but that’s everywhere, right?
That’s it. That’s all I can think of on the bad side…
Welcome to Austin!