(Closed) Austin, San Antonio & Fredricksburg Texas Vacations

posted 8 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 4
397 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I think you will LOVE Fredericksburg, there are a ton of wineries and awesome local restaurants, I would just walk around the main street and window shop, eat german food, and explore the candy shops.  If you guys like hiking, enchanted rock is right there, and is really awesome, if you are non-hikers, maybe a pic nic there? 

In San Antonio (aka my current city) you will have to go to the riverwalk, visit the Alamo, etc… but I would suggest visiting the McNay Art Museum as well.  It is on beautiful grounds! And if you’re interested visit all the missions.  It’s a cool experience.  

hope this helps at all.  

Post # 6
41 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2009 - Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church (LaCoste, TX) and Mary Gray Events Center (Castroville, TX)

So many good restaurants in Austin.  I was there in college, so I don’t really have ‘nice place’ recs, but Home Slice Pizza on SoCo is super yummy and they might have Amy’s Ice Cream in Dallas by now, but it will always be an Austin fave of mine.  Oh, and see a movie at the original Alamo Drafthouse while you’re there.  I do remember that we always went to Eddie V’s if we wanted nice food.  If you’re on a budget their happy hour is fantastic, but they’re sit-down dinners are also worth it.  I miss Austin, there are probably so many cool new places there now, I haven’t been back in a couple of years.  Oh, Salt Lick BBQ is in Dripping Springs or some place about an hour outside of Austin, best BBQ ever.  It’s BYOB and all you can eat.  There’s always a line, but people just bring coolers of beer, hang out on the huge parcel of land it’s on and wait for a table.

Post # 7
354 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

In austin, I love eastside cafe (they grow some of their veggies on site) and vespaio (yummy italian on south congress). If it’s a pretty day, sitting on the patio next to lake austin at hula hut is great, or if you’re willing to drive a little, the oasis on lake travis has fantastic outdoor seating (although their food is only so-so, IMO). If you haven’t picked a hotel yet for austin, look into staying at the driskill – it’s on 6th street. For a super cheap, super yummy mexican breakfast, check out juan in a million. The austin chronicle (a weekly austin paper) does a yearly critics and readers poll of the best restaurants in austin in lots of different categories. You usually can’t go wrong with the winners. See who is playing at stubb’s when you’re in austin – it’s a very austin-y place to see live music. I second all of moonbeam’s recs as well 🙂

Post # 8
1813 posts
Buzzing bee

I live in Austin & minimooned in SA & Fredericksburg!  Feel free to PM me if you have more questions!  What month are you goin?

Post # 10
251 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

When you are in Port Aransas make sure you eat at The Pelican. Their food is so good! Make sure you try some of the sushi and their crabcakes are amazing!!

The topic ‘Austin, San Antonio & Fredricksburg Texas Vacations’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors