Post # 1
So I think it’s been established that we all hate the “why arent you guys married/engaged yet?” question. As such, what are some great lines you use to avoid the question/get the person to drop it.
Some lines I’ve recently used:
“We’re waiting until everyone can get married” – Thanks Brad and Angelina.
“If the marines wanted to me have a husband, they would have issued me one.” – Note I am not a marine but this will get you a weird look and a different conversational topic pretty quickly.
Post # 3
Um I just tell the truth, were enjoying being young and a wedding really isent important to us right now but were super happy living together and enjoying our life :). The only few people I’ve had ask are very close family so I wouldn’t lie about it
Post # 4
I just tell them he hasn’t asked me yet.
Post # 5
yeeaa…I just tell them to go ask SO…
Post # 6
Oddly, no one’s asked me that. I feel cheated. All these brilliant comebacks and I don’t get to use them.
Post # 7
I’ve only been asked once or twice…I just said that I’m waiting for my SO to ask, but that I’d gladly marry him!
Post # 8
I overheard someone asking fmil but no one has asked me directly. They’ve asked if we’re going to get married in the future though
Post # 9
- Wedding: February 2017 - Seattle, WA
“If the marines wanted to me have a husband, they would have issued me one.” –
Hahaha this is hilarious, I’m going to use this.
Honestly though, it is my pet peeve when people ask me that! “when is he going to propose???” Ugh how would I know? I’m also not in a rush to get married (we already have a house together) so it’s not something I dwell on.
Post # 10
i used to get the “you are so pretty, i don’t understand why you aren’t married yet.”
this made me feel worse than anything, especially since i was always single at the time.
i replied, “feel free to introduce me to my husband”
Post # 11
Oooh!! I have lots of good ones!! Just keep in mind that I was not in a hurry to get married and the questions really bothered me, so some of them are snarky
- We’re waiting until after the baby’s here. (Suggestively rub stomach, only works if not actually pregnant lol)
- Why do you ask??- Totally flips it back on them and sometimes make them realize that its kinda rude.
- Why not just bang my head on the wall and burn all my money?? (Funniest with men)
- I don’t have to put my hand In boiling water to know its not a good idea.
- Because I like sex too much to give it up. (another funniest with men)
- With depreciating assets, I prefer to lease. (This one was my favorite, but make sure your SO is ok with you saying it first, as it is kinda offensive to them. Luckily my guy has the same sense of humor I do.)
- I decided to skip my first divorce.
- Marriage is a fine institution, but I am not ready for an institution.
- Hopefully before I start showing!!! (Best with the baby hungry aunts!!)
- When his divorce is final. (Obviously only funny if hes not actually getting a divorce)
- What?? And spoil my great sex life??
- We’re pretty happy with status quo right now. Maybe we’ll have a shot gun wedding if I accidentally get pregnant though….”
- we have to wait until I finish my gender transition so it will be legal (and watch the eyes pop!!)
- we don’t want to marry each other, we are just in it for the sex
Post # 12
haha! I love that one!
I always tell them they should ask SO.
Post # 13
I’m using some of yours. I have a lot of noisy co-workers and distant relatives so I get it a lot lol.
Another favorite – “The 12th of none o’ your business.”
Post # 14
“I decided to skip my first divorce.”- OMG I died laughing
Post # 15
Wow these are great!! I like, “When the baby arrives”… then rub HIS stomach!
Post # 16
We’re broke. Plain and simple. Maybe someone would even offer to pay for our wedding 😛