Post # 1
I posted a bit ago about having a major error on our wedding invites that got mailed recently. Oh boy what did I know?? The fax number vs the hotel’s phone number is nothing!!
I just have to vent and laugh at this point! LOL
1. The last name was wrong for a guest because they didn’t have their accurate last name on their facebook profile(fb messenger is how I got their address). They choose to have their mothers maiden name for their profile so their students couldn’t try to add them on FB. He wasn’t upset but it was embarrasing!
2. Another last name was wrong for a couple that is related to my Fiance. He told me “invite Jane Doe”. I said “Okay, what is Jane’s Husbands name?” and then the invite was addressed “John and Jane Doe” and it was actually supposed to be “John and Jane John’s Last Name”. I didn’t know the wife was related by blood and not the husband so the last name didn’t look funny to me. The husband informed me at a family gathering about the error and I apologized. He laughed but I could tell was a bit irritated.
3. A cousin on my FI’s side had their first name spelt wrong which is 100% my fault. I had it wrong in my phone, on my list, etc. I didn’t catch it was spelt wrong because that is how I thought his name was spelt. He wasn’t upset either but told me it was wrong so I could fix it for the place cards.
4. 3 invites so far have bounced back for no reason. The addresses were correct and verified by the guest. But each had a giant “Return to Sender” sticker which ruined the invite (we did trifolds which didn’t need envelopes).
and the one that started it all…
5. the number is wrong on the invite for the hotel block.
The funny part is I had my Future Mother-In-Law look over my guest list to make sure we didn’t miss anyone and I had kinda assumed spell check/double check names but apparently she didn’t look that closely! I am more embarrased than anything. I am not familiar with all of their names or even met them all (he has a HUGE family) so its not entirely my fault BUT I am still embarrased all in the same.
Post # 2
Wow that’s quite a bit!
We only had 1 major issue…We let my ILs invite a bunch of people, as long as they were adults (19+). So they invited their family and adult cousins/neices etc. Apparently they forgot to invite one of the adult children, and the parents (cousins I believe?) were soooo offended they refused to come. Then the ILs are yelling at US for not noticing, when we had no idea who they wanted to invite and don’t even know all of these people lol. We had to reach out to this guy, get his address, send him a late invite, all for their entire family to just decline.
Post # 3
Yes it is quite a few issues and feels that way! I am just hoping things go smoothly now? Ughhhhh
Also that is aweful! I just don’t get why people act that like. Obviously they weren’t left off the list on purpose…and to decline just to be sassy is rude!
Post # 4
I don’t think it’s a big deal. I’ve received more than one invitation with the wrong last name: one based on FB (no, that’s my middle name), one based on my husband’s last name (I kept my own name, thanks), etc. My first name has been spelled wrong too. I do tend to point out the error so that they can correct it on the place cards, but I’m not going to get upset about a name on an envelope that’s just going straight into the recycling.
Post # 5
Thank you for this! I am glad I am not the only one making these mistakes…it just feels like a lot all at once which makes me feel like a failure at invites. The only thing is, theirs don’t go in the recyling..we did a tri fold so they keep the entire thing. There is no envelope to throw in the recycling. But its on the back which you don’t look at if you put it on the fridge. I corrected all mistakes for their place cards since they RSVP online it was an easy fix anyhow.
It was just overwhelming having that many people tell me things were wrong. Made me want to put my hands up and say “okay then, you try inviting people on your Fiance side when he doesn’t even know them all because your freaking family is so big”!! LOL
Post # 6
It took me multiple tries to get an invite to one guest. Turns out what my Mother-In-Law thought said Apartment 1 in her address book actually said Apartment I. Stuff happens.
Post # 7
I find it interesting that the guy was irritated about the last name mixup. It’s the type of thing married women who don’t change their names encounter all the time and 99% of the time let it just slide like water off a ducks back.
Post # 8
This. The last few weddings we’ve attended I’ve been invited as ‘mrs husbands-last-name’ even though I’ve kept my own name and haven’t exactly kept that fact a secret. One couple we know (even though they’re good friends and lovely people) seem really affected by my choice, talk about it all the time and make a point of calling me Mrs H-L-N to annoy me. Which it doesn’t… Like you said – water off a ducks back, they should probably be more worried about their own reactions to this than what I think of them calling me that!
Post # 9
I can commiserate on some of the name mix-ups. I accidentally addressed an invitation to one of my husband’s parents’ friends and used the last name of her ex-husband instead of her own last name. My mother-in-law had looked over the guest list and also didn’t notice it. I felt soooo dumb when she RSVPed and made note of her corrected name. Ugh.