- 2 months ago
Hi Bees –
I am not great with money. Do you have any books/blogs that helped you get on track? I am so impressed when I read some of the posts about scrimping and saving and sacrifice. I don’t think I’m in need of austerity measures yet, but I’d like to start saving. Please note, amounts are all Canadian dollars.
I make decent money. There are a few problems I can definitely highlight:
– my friends all make good money, they are all married to people who make excellent money. I am single. I don’t want to be left out of fun events because I can’t afford it.
– I work a lot, which turns into eating out a lot. It is actually horrifying. I have eaten out all three meals, plus snacks, this week.
– Since I work a lot during the week, it is very important to me to enjoy my weekends. I love being outside. Hiking, rock climbing, skiing… by the time I drive back from these activities it is often 9 or 10pm on a Sunday night and I have no groceries and pass out.
– I am a fritterer… I don’t go on fancy vacations. It’s the stupid little $40 purchases that add up.
– I have a diet coke/energy drink addiction.
– I am pretty generous. i.e. on a girl’s night out with six girls, I realized I paid for 3/6 Ubers we were required to take, plus 1/2 of the drunk food for everyone.
I have some credit card debt, which mainly stems from a contract issue at work. I signed a one-year contract based on commission. They paid me under that contract for three months, then realized they hadn’t meant to give me that contract (apparently it was for more senior associates) and meant to give me a salary. I had already put money on my credit card anticipating the commission payout. Yes, I could go to a lawyer yadda-yadda, but I really enjoy working for this company, and if I fought them on this one-year contract it is unlikely I would have my contract renewed. This contract issue resulted in me earning ~$15,000 less than I anticipated last year.
1. Pay off credit card.
2. Start saving.
HELP ME WITH MY BUDGET:
Net take home monthly: $5,000 (will be $6,000 in August)
Condo Fees: $500
Property Taxes: $121
Home Insurance: $36
Cell Phone: $86
Car Insurance: $76
Student Loans Repayment:$1,200
Climbing Gym: $89
Apple Music: $10
Netflix: $0 (I steal my mum’s)
Garmin InReach: $16 (backcountry safety device)
Charitable Donations: $30
TOTAL BILLS MONTHLY: $3,420
Parks Canada: $137
Amazon Prime: $80?
My credit card is currently sitting at $3,353. I anticipate it will be higher between now and next payday (July 15).
My friends owe me $420 for a backcountry hut I paid for on my card. Our trip is in two weeks, so I anticipate them paying me around then.
My work owes me $2,000 that they have acknowledged and will be paid on July 15.
I am willing to cancel my gym membership. I used to go 4x per week, but since taking up climbing (3x week) and yoga (3x week) I have gone rarely.
How do you manage your budget? Help me help myself.