Post # 3
192 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

AMAZING news!!

Post # 4
9824 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

That makes me so happy! I can’t believe how many of my friends have strolled into a pet store for kittens and puppies when there are so many sitting in shelters.

Post # 5
2825 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Wow, that’s incredible!!

I wish the states would start passing laws like that!

Post # 6
3142 posts
Sugar bee

@MrsSawyer:

Oh my gosh!  *does a little dance*

This is SO good all around. 

And it will give much less support for puppy mills/catteries so less demand will = less supply hopefully !!!!

Post # 7
5148 posts
Bee Keeper

I don’t buy dogs or cats at petstores, and I won’t even buy ANYTHING from a store that sells dogs or cats. And if I hear someone talking about maybe getting a pet, I discourage them going to a petstore.

But I hate legislation like this because they often sneak in stuff that also hurts reputable breeders. (I haven’t done on research on this particular peice of legislation, but it’s a frequent tactic of PETA/HSUS to try to end ALL BREEDING of animals.)

I have mixed feelings on it. I favor “education” over “legislation”.

Post # 9
9824 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@abbyful: From what I have read (which isn’t enough, but I will sift through it more later), it’s been acknowledged that this particular ban is to prevent animals being mass produced for profit in mills. I’ve read a few statements which stress that shelter animals or animals that come from a reputable breeder are preferable, and that no reputable breeders will sell to pet stores. I’m definitely going to be doing more homework on this, but I actually think this is a step in the right direction in terms of encouraging people to know and care where their animals are coming from.

Post # 10
5148 posts
Bee Keeper

@MissSawyer – I don’t know how THIS particular legislation may perhaps have an effect on reputable breeders because I haven’t done any research on it, but some laws do. And yes, I agree no breeder worth their salt would sell via a 3rd party.

For example, a law that says a breeder can only have 5 intact females over age 6 months, many show-breeders keep a couple puppies until over 6 months to see how they turn out! If they already have several dogs they currently show, all of a sudden these 6 month puppies push them over a randomly decided “limit”.

Or MSN laws, even ones with clauses for show-dogs, say that a dog over age 6 months must be in the show ring. Some dogs are not ready for the show ring by 6 months, it depends on how their coat is coming in, how they are maturing, their temperament, etc.

Or limits on number of litters per year, I think should be number of litters OR a certain number of puppies. One of my friends (show-breeder) has had 2 litters last year that yeilded only 1 puppy, not all that uncommon for small breeds to have singleton litters, but that means she was completely done for the year.

Or silly stuff they sneak in. Like “you can’t stack crates” or “dogs must have 24/7 access to go in and out as they please”. (Most reputable breeders raise their dogs in their house, and they don’t want dogs going outside unsupervised even in kennel runs! I know I worry about snakes and hawks.)

A lot of the laws people want to push through have things like requring very expensive breeding licenses. Who can afford that? Puppymills! Your small reputable show-breeder that breeds once a year can’t afford it.

Stuff that like. Reputable breeders get caught in these laws too, and sometimes are hurt more than the target of the laws.

Post # 12
2084 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 1993

Fantastic news. Lets hope things continue in the same vein.

Post # 13
2114 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Woot! Woot!

Post # 14
2607 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

Way to go, Toronto!  I hope this law is just the first of many.  I would certainly like to see laws like this in the United States!

Post # 15
5668 posts
Bee Keeper

Great news.

Post # 16
2786 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Yaye!! SO proud of my city for this!!! My little one is a rescue puppy, and you will never know love until you are loved by an animal you rescued….

The topic ‘Banning of Pet Store Cats & Dogs’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors