(Closed) Baptism Gown Restoration & Preservation

posted 8 years ago in Catholic
Post # 4
290 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

It really depends on the fabric, you have to treat cotton and silk very differently for example. Take it to an expert if necessary.

I have an few old dresses like that, and they are all fine cotton. To clean them I soak them in warm water and Oxyclean, very gently rubbing at any stains. Then I rinse them carefully and lay them flat to dry. Once they’re clean, they can be ironed. Important is to store them somewhere away from sunlight and pests, and to avoid harsh creases as they can ruin fabric with time.

Post # 6
5091 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2012

@ashleyyyg:  Do some research on the internet for people who specialize in antique textiles.  You definitely can’t just take it to anyone.

Post # 7
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Our son is going to be baptized in a 100+ yr old baptism gown that’s been in my husband’s family for 4+ generations, so I get where you’re coming from! I’d take it to an antique textiles expert for cleaning, as mentioned already, and see what they can do to preserve it. I’d see if they think you’re ok to use it for future family baptisms. It may be too fragile at this point.

Post # 9
138 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

@ashleyyyg:

I just went thru something similar with restoring my vintage wedding gown and I’m going thru heritage gown restoration. I read many reviews before I came to a decision and the best thing is, that although they take about 6 to 7 weeks, they also do layaway. Overall, on my wedding gown, to get it back to “new”, I’ll be paying about 300 dollars, but in my mind, well worth the expense as I want it to look gorgeous on the big day. Oh, and they are on line as well. Hope this helps.

Post # 10
138 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

@ashleyyyg: This is my vintage dress. Unfortunately time has given it a dingy yellow look and I’m hoping I can get it restored to new. I’ll be mailing it out for cleaning today. Wish me luck 🙂

The topic ‘Baptism Gown Restoration & Preservation’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors