- 6 years ago
- Wedding: October 2013
I do not post often, but I read the posts on the Bee every day – to see what you are all up to and share in your joys and sorrows. I’ve posted a couple times before regarding the differences between how Fiance and I view a wedding… It’s been a couple of months, now, and we still can’t seem to settle on something that will make us both happy – mostly because he still really wants it just to be us, and for us to save the money we would spend for a barn, or something much more practical than a big, overblown party. He thinks a BBQ at home sometime after we are actually married would be just fine… He thinks we could do this for $1000 and is perfectly happy with that.
I, on the other hand, really would like to be surrounded by our family (small though it is) and friends when we say our vows. Our friends want to be there. My sister lives all the way across the country, and I’m not going to have her fly here to come to a backyard celebration and not be with us on the day we are married.
What I really want is to be able to spend $15,000 to have the wedding of my dreams to celebrate marrying this man. But it’s one day, and our ponies need a barn and I have come to the (very practical) conclusion that I need to do some serious compromising – and it is boiling down to this:
- Ceremony in the open space adjacent to the State Park equestrian trailhead where we had our first ride together
- Self-catered BBQ/Picnic reception at a regional park trailhead (10 minute drive).
For the food, I’m thinking:
- Appetizers: cheese/fruit/craker display; antipasti display; potato/sweet potato chips
- Buffet: Hamburgers, hot dogs, smoked chicken, rolls, ranch beans, sour cream dill potato salad, three bean salad, green salad with Basque dressing.
- Dessert: Bakery cake (carrot, for him, and either Italian rum or almond with raspberry filling for me); homemade cupcakes; homemade cookies (pecan sandies, which are sort of like wedding cookies)
- Drinks: Coors light (for him!), another beer – maybe Stella Artois, Butter chardonnay, red wine (undecided), signature drink – Bellinis, water, iced tea
So far, I have food and drink estimated at $2500 – for 50 people! That does not include any decorations, servers, rentals, a photographer, or an officiant… Add that all in and we are looking at another $2000, at least!!
So, potentially $4500, to have a park BBQ reception?
I feel deflated. I’m trying to save money – but it doesn’t seem like I’m doing a very good job. And on top of that, I’m thinking of serving hamburgers and hot dogs – which, conceptually I dig – but not at that collective price tag… His option? $1000. My option? $3500 more – which is a big contribution to a long term asset to our lifestyle…
Please help with your thoughts, ideas and/or experiences?
PS – My cost estimate does not include my dress – which I am hoping to do for $400 or so…