(Closed) BC & Sex Drive: WTH? And What to Do?

posted 6 years ago in Intimacy
Post # 3
7431 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

I found that unless I was on the low dose pills, my sex drive was pretty much non existent as well. I went off bc last year, and it was the best thing I could have done for our sex life. 

Have you tried any of the low does pills before?

Post # 5
704 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

I’m on Sprintec, which is the generic version of ortho-cyclen and it’s been fantastic for me (and uber cheap). But since you’re on the name brand version, Idk if it would work.

Different pills work differently so you may just have to keep trying til you find one that works.

Post # 6
2065 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I agree with trying different pills. It took me something like 5 different kinds before I settled on the one I’ve been on for almost 3 years now. My sex drive isn’t quite to where it is on no pill, but it’s damn close. You just have to find the one that works for you. Low hormone may be the way to go for you, just talk to your doctor, I’m sure she’s heard the same story many times and will help you out.

Post # 7
161 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

The exact same thing happened to me.  I went on the low-dose, and 3 months later, nothing had changed.  I finally went off BC completely.  

Post # 8
201 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

You’re normal. I had the same issue while on various brands of the pill. Oddly, nuevaring does not seem to affect my sex drive. I’d also recommend looking into an IUD – I can’t use it (I have uterus didelphys and my body rejected it) but I have several friends who swear by it.

Post # 9
927 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I went off the BCP because of my low sex drive, and it came back almost instantly! I would find a different method that works better for you.

Post # 10
1423 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

Yes it does affect your drive — I never managed to find one that didn’t.  I LOVE being off the pill.  It’s overrated.  There are plenty of other good contraceptive options that are hormone free.  I feel like a horny teenager again.

Post # 11
226 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2007

It happened to me too…I couldn’t find any OCs that didn’t decrease my libido so I ended up getting off the pills

Post # 12
1018 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

going thru the exact same thing right now. Fiance and I are getting married in July and I think after we’re married i’ll be more comfortable getting off of the pill. but I’m certain the hormones are causing my extreme lack of sex drive. even just being on the sugar pill my drive jumps significantly. i’m just nervous about going off the pill and getting pregnant right away, we want to wait until we move back to our home state to start a family so we’ll see how it pans out. i miss my high school antics!!!

Post # 13
402 posts
Helper bee

Yes my sex drive is essentially non-existant most of the time that im on BC. 🙁

It comes back once he initiates but that firey drive isnt there when I am on it!

Post # 14
4336 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Try NFP or FAM! At the very least, read “Taking Charge of Your Fertility” and be amazed at learning how your body works, and you will see there is another completely scientific alternative instead of filling your body with chemicals/hormones (and get your sex drive back!)

Post # 15
341 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I am currently on Yasmin as my BC, and frankly, I would rather watch paint dry…lol  🙁  I am also on an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medicine as well though, so my doctor basically said that I’m stuck with that until I get off of everything.  OYE…something’s gotta give haha!

Post # 16
270 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

BCP never affected my sex drive. You probably just have to switch to a different pill.  Different pills have different effects on me.  For example, Desogen sped up time for me and made me slow and depressed (no joke, it would take me about 40 min to brush my teeth because I was moving really slow).  

The topic ‘BC & Sex Drive: WTH? And What to Do?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors