(Closed) Be 100% honest – small diamond vs. large Simulant

posted 5 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Would you/did you choose a small diamond or a large simulant?

Small diamond - only a genuine diamond will do for my ering

Small diamond - I love daintier rings

Small diamond - it's what was chosen for me

Small diamond - other (explain)

Large simulant - wanted a large stone, couldn't afford it in diamond

Large simulant - felt societal pressure to wear large stone

Large simulant - don't care for diamonds at all, chose the next best thing

Large simulant - other (explain)

• Post # 3
    4697 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

Personally speaking, I’d rather save up and wait to get a larger diamond. Its what looks best on my hand and I’m not a fan of the way simulants look. We waited to get enaged until we were financially established enough to get a diamond in a size we felt was appropriate.

I wouldn’t have wanted a smaller diamond just to be engaged, just as I didn’t want a simulant to get the look I wanted from a diamond.

ETA: Nevermind, I guess this thread isn’t ‘for me’ since my situation doesn’t fit into the specific criteria you’ve outlined…..

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by  KC-2722.
    Post # 4
    544 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

My fiance got me a small diamong ring from the 1940s. Since it’s an old diamond, we weren’t worried about the ethical questions. And there are TONS of antique/old diamond rings on the market, many at reasonable prices. 

Even though I get that the whole diamond being significant thing was created by a marketing campaign, I would feel weird with a man-made stone. I’d rather have a small diamond or a natural gemstone. 

I also personally prefer smaller rings. I actually traded in a 2.6 carat diamond heirloom for my smaller ring. The big ring felt a little show-offy to me.

ETA: I’m actually sort of intrigued by moissonite’s popularity on this board. I’d never heard of it before reading this board, but it seems like a ton of bees have it. Did you all hear about it through this board or is it more common than I thought it was?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by  dances123.
    Post # 5
    99 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

I guess mine would be a “small simulant” since it’s only a carat. For me, I knew we’d never get a high quality diamond at a carat due to our budget (and I wanted a carat because I have size 8 fingers), so we decided on moissanite. I also used to work in a jewelry store where I was surrounded by diamonds daily and where people talked poorly about moissanite, but I love my moissanite. We didn’t want to spend much either. 

Post # 6
    3258 posts
    Sugar bee

I had small diamonds nothing wrong with it.  but after loosing two of my engagement rings one was stolen first one I got was small lovely,  my one I replace with was small but loved it but lost it in pawn.  They wanted to much to get back 0.05 ct , plus they change the stone so I didn’t want it. So I have gone through few from ebay trying to find one I love was so hard.  I finally have with sapphire side stones with small diamonds and asha for mild. I wanted something bigger this time,  hubby don’t care either way but I know from talk before he wanted me to have bigger,  my asha was a gift.  I will change it out when I can  afford to maybe sapphire or moissy.  I never be able to afford a 1ct.diamond  . I’m ocd on my ring.  I love my ring as it is now,  Right now I have the best of all three diamonds sapphire asha cz; )

Post # 7
    542 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2014 - Maui

I don’t have an engagement ring, because I didn’t really think the cost was worth it so I asked him not to buy one. However, I do have diamonds in my wedding band, and if I were to pick out an engagement ring, I would go for a small diamond. First of all, I prefer less flashy jewelry. Second, I was born in April and diamond is my birth stone. Third, I’ve got nothing against moissanite, and even considered asking for one when we were thinking about cheaper engagement rings. But when it came down to it, I personally wouldn’t feel good about sporting a moissanite and having everyone mistaking it for a diamond. I could correct them and tell them it’s not, but then they would judge my husband for being cheap. Or, I could let it pass as a diamond, but then I would feel like I’m lying. My preference would be diamond, and then gemstone, and then simulant. 

Post # 8
    5188 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: February 2013

I only wanted a diamond and that’s what I got. It’s .24 cts but the setting makes it look bigger and my fingers are thin anyway. I wouldn’t wear a simulant as an e-ring. My husband doesn’t think they’re appropriate for e-ringps either.

Post # 11
    2257 posts
    Buzzing bee

View original reply
    girlseeksring:  I didn’t think of it in terms of small or large. I don’t consider my ring large and I don’t consider it small. I picked what looked good and what we could afford.

I also don’t think you get to pick and choose who the poll and thread is for. That’s not how this works… If the poll doesn’t apply to someone, they’ll either vote, or they won’t.

ETA: If you’re adding a disclaimer for who can comment, you’re probably being rude. You can be specific in how you ask but dude…. Really?

Post # 12
    98 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

What about a smaller simulant?

My Amora Gem is .93ct and it’s a lovely size. I traded down from a 1.92ctw 3 stone ring to this and I’m in love with it. I think that even if you can afford a huge stone, it doesn’t necessarily mean that looks the best on you. I love the way this looks on my hand and I’m super happy with it. And the lower price was just icing.

I think in general the trend is swinging away from big blingy celebrity lookalike rings and back towards smaller, more elegant and vintage pieces. At least that’s what I’ve been seeing lately.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by  sc5645.
    Post # 13
    481 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    girlseeksring:  This is a very interesting thread! My diamond is above the small size you posted (it’s .73ct) but I guess the same could still apply to me. The first and most important reason I chose a diamond is because I became interested in gemology at a very young age. I fell in love with learning about diamonds and decided to do GIA courses. I love every single gemstone that is out there and have respect for all, whether natural or lab-created. But there was just something about diamonds for me. I got a job at a jewelry store when I was 19, which was my dream job, and this was around a time where in the jewelry biz, simulants such as moissanite were wildly unpopular. Especially for a sales associate that was expected to sell diamonds. Plus back then, every moissy I saw was terribly green tinted and being a color sensitive person like me, I couldn’t get past it. Also there was just so many differences between diamond and moissy and most people I knew that got them were trying to pass them off as a diamond. Nothing wrong with this, obviously it is up to them what they choose to do with it. So basically, what affected my decision was first just the fact that I looove diamonds and then second was my surroundings. I have since learned more about moissanite and think they can be very beautiful but they are still not for me. I will always be drawn to diamonds because that’s just who I am. Forgot to add that we were on a limited budget and went with the best quality and size diamond we could afford at the time. I would never lie and say I didn’t want a 1 carat or more cuz it looked too big on me or whatever. I wanted at least a carat but the .73ct was all the specs I wanted and in our price range and it didn’t look too small on me cuz I have small hands so that’s what we went with!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by  ayitacasita.
    Post # 15
    1740 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2016

I have a 3 stone ring — the center is .65ct, the two side stones are .33 each.  So I guess they’re not too small, but they’re also not particularly big.  Nonetheless, I am very sure that I would choose the small real stone over the large simulated stone every day of the week.  

The topic ‘Be 100% honest – small diamond vs. large Simulant’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors