(Closed) Beer & Wine only?! no cash bar!

posted 6 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I think if you are providing beer and wine, that is enough. But it’s not bad or tacky to have a cash bar option beyond that.

That’s what we did. We didn’t announce it, we just said beer and wine were provided. If someone asked for hard alcohol the bartender would tell them we were only providing beer and wine and they would have to pay for any hard alcohol.

Post # 4
5479 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I think it is ok to host beer and wine only.  You are hosting what you can afford, and at the same time, providing for your guests.  This is 100% ok, as per etiquette 🙂

Post # 5
3618 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

If beer & wine were free, I’d just drink that rather than having to pay for a drink. Having beer & wine is perfectly acceptable.

Post # 5
1870 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I think beer and wine is perfectly acceptable. I see the point in having a cash bar becuase some people may only drink liquor but I think its tacky to ask people to pay for drinks at a wedding.

Post # 6
1774 posts
Buzzing bee

Beer and wine is A-OKAY!

Post # 6
5273 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

Beer & Wine only is totally acceptable. No worries!

Post # 7
Hostess
16215 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Originally, ours was going to be beer/wine/champagne only, and my dad was adamant that guests be allowed to order (and pay for) liquor because he knew many of the guests would want to. We eventually opened up the bar entirely so it became a moot point.

I don’t think it’s wrong to do just beer and wine, but I can see merit in allowing guests to pay for drinks if they choose to.

Post # 7
4755 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I think you should allow the hard booze to be bought. It’s great you’re offereing beer/wine (I’m a wine drinker) but I do think there should be the *option* of having vodka et. al.

Post # 8
869 posts
Busy bee

Thanks for posting this!  We’re in the same boat! 🙂

Post # 9
8285 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I’d rather have the choice to pay for a drink I actually like than drink free beer, personally. I see nothing wrong with allowing the guests to pay for their own hard liquor if they so choose.

Post # 10
1866 posts
Buzzing bee

I can understand you not wanting the guests to pay for anything, but on the other hand, shouldn’t they get what they want, and what if it’s hard liquor?  That being said, I would definitely give them an option for a cash bar.  Another thing you have to think about is what kind of beer and wine you are serving.  For example, there are only specific types of beer that I like.  My sister had beer/wine at her reception, but I didn’t like her beer, so I bought vodka cocktails for myself.  

Post # 11
46333 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Limiting your alcohol to beer and wine is perfectly fine.

I would not have a cash bar for reasons that have been discuused to death on other posts.

That doesn’t stop anyone who wants something else from asking the bartender if it is available and paying for it themselves.

Post # 12
218 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Beer and wine is totally fine! I think it would be fine to have a cash bar as well, but you certainly don’t have to. I totally get your feeling of not wanting anyone to pay for anything. Do what feels right to you!

Post # 13
6998 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

I would be perfectly fine with beer and wine – i dont think there is a harm in providing a cash bar for liquor though because some people prefer it.

i know if i were to go to a wedding and the beer and wine was free that is what i would be drinking.

The topic ‘Beer & Wine only?! no cash bar!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors