(Closed) Beer & Wine only?! no cash bar!

posted 10 years ago in Reception
Post # 14
1368 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

For budgetary reasons we had beer, wine, and champagne only and no one had a problem with that. Everyone loved the choices we had and a great time was had by all.

Post # 15
3930 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

i’d stick to beer and wine.  if you are super worried, maybe you could do a signature drink as well?

Post # 17
2001 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I think you should provide the beer & wine, and leave it at that.  

Post # 18
8246 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Beer and wine only is very common and totally acceptable!  Go for it!

Post # 19
412 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I think having beer and wine is acceptable.  We are doing the same thing for ours too.  We will also have a cash bar for hard liquor.

You can do the following:

Beer and Wine served.  No hard liquor served

Beer and Wine served.  Limited open bar (had a cut off either by $$ or time)

Beer and Wine served.  Cash bar on everything else.

I think it really depends on your budget.  I would love to do open bar if I can afford it.  But you also know there are tons of people will down 5-6 glasses of alcohol or those who only has a sip and never finish the drink.  I think it’s a good compromise.  We serve wine and beer, unlimited.  And then if you want something beyond that, you have the option to do so by getting it yourself.  🙂

Post # 20
524 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

we went to a wedding this summer that only served beer, wine and I think some coolers. There was nothing else available to drink, and it was fine. I think most people like either of those options.. and if they don’t they likely aren’t big drinkers anyways. I’d stick to beer and wine!

Post # 21
831 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Stick to beer and wine, and if you can afford it a sig cocktail or two.  I’d avoid a cash bar, or any scenario that has your guests pulling out their wallets at the reception.

You can have a lot of fun with beer and wine – there are so many cool microbrews, maybe bulk order some from where you grew up and where  your Fiance grew up, where you’d love to visit or live, that kind of thing.  Ditto wines!

Post # 22
3605 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

beer and wine is the norm for our weddings down under so i think its perfectly OK

Post # 23
610 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@Monkey786:  I think guests would appreciate any type of open bar so if you want beer and wine, go for it!

Post # 24
Hostess
4996 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

I would just provide beer and wine. If one guest sees another drinking a mixed drink, they will probably want one, too, then lots of people end up buying drinks. Just allow the bar to stock what you can pay for. 

Post # 25
94 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I think just beer and wine is totally fine, I definitely wouldn’t do a cash bar for hard liquor.  To me, that’s no different from saying, “We’ll be serving chicken for dinner, but if you’d like a steak it is available for $XX.XX”  If I am hosting a party, I would never expect my guests to pay for any part of it.

Post # 26
2128 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

So maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t mind paying for mixed drinks if there’s a cash bar just for hard liquor. I like free wine and beer though.

The topic ‘Beer & Wine only?! no cash bar!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors