Post # 1
hi all, some friends of Darling Husband and mine are having a destination wedding in the Florida Keys in December. Darling Husband and I are trying to conceive and were hopeful that by December I would be pregnant, so we decided that Darling Husband would go to the wedding and I would stay home, and we would use condoms for 6 months when he came back. We explained this to our friends and they understood but told us if the situation changed and I could come they would love to have me there. This discussion took place in may, and so far I’m not pregnant yet, and in June the CDC lifted the travel restriction to the keys for pregnant women. My Darling Husband was still concerned at the time but now that more time has passed and no new local Zika transmissions have been reported we are wondering if we are being over cautious to have me stay home. Also, if I’m still not pregnant in December I’d hate to stop trying for 6 months (I’m 37 and will turn 38 in March) unless it’s really necessary. Since I’m not down there I’m curious if there are bees in the Keys who could tell me their thoughts. Are you holding off on TTC? Is it still a big concern there? FWIW the couple said it would not be a problem with their planning if I decide I can come and they are hopeful I will attend.
Post # 2
girlfriday91 : We go to the keys every year. You will be fine and it being December it is cooler and not really bug season as far as I know. I’ve never gotten a bug bite down there, and last April i saw a ton of pregnant tourists. If you are super concerned just load up with buy spray.
Im currently pregnant and we are planning to go to the Keys during my pregnancy for a babymoon. I think the only areas that even had zika are near Miami? So I would say enjoy unless your doctor tells you otherwise
If the CDC says it is fine, it is fine IMO.
Post # 3
We are TTC and I have a trip planned for the week between Christmas and NY for Key Largo. Never crossed my mind not to go nor put off TTC after… I’m 35.
As someone else said, CDC says it’s fine, I figure they are better experts than I am, so I’ll go with their recommendation.
Post # 4
if cdc lifted the travel caution, then i would assume ok. as PP said, just bring a lot of bug spray. if it is cooler, you might be wearing long sleeves or get super light weight long sleeves and pants to wear.
Post # 5
Agree with other pp, we waited 6 months after travel to Cuba to start TTC because it wasn’t worth the risk. If the CDC says it should fine, I would go. That being said, after the flooding from the hurricanes sometimes mosquitoes can get a lot worse, so I would keep an eye on the area for the next month.