- 6 years ago
- Wedding: June 2012
Hey, it’s okay to be a bit of a cheapskate when you’re spending thousands of dollars! Ours probably could have cost $20,000, but we’re looking at $9,500, and possibly even less than that depending on how many people come (I am SO hoping a few less people come now, we could have up to an extra thousand dollars!).
Here’s some of the ways I’ve saved money (and I’m pretty darn proud of how much I’ve done!):
– having a friend who’s an amateur photographer take our engagement & wedding pics and we’re giving him $200. He didn’t want anything in the first place, but his pictures are actually pretty darn awesome!
– Did my boudoir photography with a Living Social deal for $70…not including buying a couple extra 8x10s and some awesome lingerie–but hey, it’s worth it to look back later and go “man I was hot when I was 24!” 😉
– Got a MissNowMrs deal from Groupon for $15
– Got 100 programs, 70 thank you cards AND five matching pens for the guest book table (adorable!) by getting a couple of VistaPrint Living Social deals–$10 for $50 worth of stuff. Ended up spending $30 on shipping, and the $20 for the two deals, but still super cheap!
– Got my invitations for FREE because I won them through a giveaway on Magnet Street’s FB page.
– Went with an HEB (grocery store in TX) cake instead of a “real” cake. It was $120 instead of $300-ish. Tried a bunch of cakes at a bridal fair, the HEB cakes were the second-best we tried.
– Got the DJ to give us a lower price because when I first talked to them, the owner gave me a certain price, then they tried to tell me later that it was different…but they gave me the original price anyway. 🙂
– Instead of doing flower centerpieces or whatever expensive things you can think of, I went to the Dollar store, picked up a bunch of picture frames (~$30) and am in the process of painting them Tiffany blue. I had our moms look around for cute pictures of us, and for each table, I’m going to set out three picture frames: one of each of us as kids & one of us together. I’m also going to sprinkle some starfish around the tables because we’re having a beach-y themed wedding (~$30).
– I got a fantastic dress from Nordstroms for $120, it’s short and soo cute, exactly what I wanted!
– Using coupons EVERYWHERE I can find them. If I ever buy anything online, I google it to see if I can find a coupon for the site.
– Aisle decorations: I went to HEB and ordered ~25 stems of white daisies at $1.50 a stem (with multiple flowers per stem). I’m having them spray-paint half of them in a Tiffany blue color, and I’m going to tie one white, one blue stem to the aisle chairs on every other row with a chocolate brown ribbon. I’m also going to take a couple & make a teensy bouquet for the flower girl.
– Rehearsal dinner: we’re having a BBQ rehearsal dinner at our house. The place we’re having cater is called Rudy’s and they provide tea, plates, cups, tableclothes, the BBQ & sides, everything we need! We’re also picking up a keg from Spec’s for the rehearsal dinner.
– I’m also not doing bouquets for the bridesmaids: I picked up inexpensive parasols from LunaBazaar ($8 apiece instead of probably $20-30 apiece for bouquets).