(Closed) Being tested for a learning disablity as an Adult

posted 3 years ago in Emotional
Post # 2
2680 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

misslioness :  I have ADD which was diagnosed in adulthood and also know a bit about ADD outside of personal experience, because I’ve sold ADD meds. I’m not a psychiatrist or psychologist though and am definitely not qualified to diagnose anyone. But, just based off of my personal/professional experience- the symptoms you are describing, which seem to be most troubling to you, do not sound like ADD. Have you been evaluated for a processing disorder like dyslexia? You may well have ADD, but it sounds like there’s something else going on as well. Also, the way the psychiatrist tried to diagnose you is NOT normal or professional (if you are in the US.) 

Post # 3
549 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2017

I have never been tested for a learning disability, but I do have Tourette’s. I sometimes have trouble focusing, and I often can get fixated or stuck on things. Please don’t let this  issue get you too upset. Some peoples’ brain works differently, and I find that totally amazing. 

Now that you pretty sure of what’s going on, you can work to build coping mechanisms. It’s going to be a struggle, but look at how far you have already come. Have you spoken with your teacher? Perhaps you can do extra things to pull up your grade? 

Post # 4
1009 posts
Bumble bee

I don’t have a learning disability, but I’ve worked in higher ed and I’m concerned for you around getting a diagnosis. If you do have an LD, a formal diagnosis allows you to be covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act and you can have accommodations in your classes. It helps you work with your professors for extra time, assignments, etc. This does usually require a formal diagnosis, though. I’m not sure what your Disabilities Office is dong, since if you don’t have a formal diagnosis, your professors aren’t legally required to give you the accommodations you might need. 

On a personal note, figuring out what’s happening is wonderful, because then you have a landing point that you can build off of in terms of how you cope. My boyfriend recently learned that he has a sensory processing disorder, which explains so much of his behavior, and some specific challenges of our relationship, and it has truly helped him, and us, so much. 

Good luck!

Post # 5
580 posts
Busy bee

I have learning disabilities and am a social worker. I have worked with students who have different intellectual disabilities, and what you described with spelling and numbers sounds more like dyslexia. Obviously seeing a professional is the most helpful thing.

Did you ever undergo an evalaution where you were given tasks: Memorizing numbers, answering questions after hearing a story, reading text, etc.? Besides just talking to a professional about what you have specifically experienced and what you are struggling with. Your description also reminds me of my own experience of struggling with a processing issue. 

I think undergoing an assessment would be best. Your college should have an office for students with disabilities, they might be helpful in referring you somewhere where it is free or covered somehow.

I would also recommend going to your college’s counseling center and speaking with them. A counselor could help give you a referral to a professional as well.

Doctor’s mean well, but it can be very overwhelming to be given medication and told you “have X”. While putting a name to what you are experiencing CAN be very helpful, because you can learn how to manage/treat/understand it and help yourself, they can be very stigmatizing. I have been prescribed medication and I do not think I was necessarily given enough of an explanation of what it did or how it would help. 

I would recommend you use your college’s resources (counseling center and office of student disabilities). I would also see if the school has any tutors for Japanese. I also took Japanese and I utilized tutoring for majority of my 4 years in undergrad. It helped me to focus, provided more time to study and practice, and I could work with someone else who would be patient with me. It’s often very difficult to express difficulties or to receive feedback to correct work in front of classmates. I would often feel like I must have been really dumb to not understand something to the point I’d cry and leave class.

I also think you should speak with your professor, let them know you are going to speak with these different departments (counseling center, office of student disabilities) and they can maybe talk with the professor on how to help you pull your grade up.

Post # 7
899 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

From what you have described (trouble reading out loud but able to describe in your own words, switching letters and numbers) it sounds like your dyslexic. I’m dyslexic and learning a foreign language is hard! I failed horrifically at French no matter how hard I tried. I was diagnosed as a child (my dad is also dyslexic and my mum recognised it from when I was two, my brother on the other hand is basically a maths and English genius and can speak three languages! Genetics are odd) as I was a child I don’t have the experience but I dated someone who was diagnosed with aspergers and dyslexia as an adult. He found once he had the diagnosis that getting help was a lot easier and he felt he understood himself and why he had struggled at school and could get help at uni but getting the diagnosis was a nightmare. You have to keep pushing as it seems doctors prefer not to put labels on adults. The doctor you saw sounds awful though! Try to get a different one! 

The topic ‘Being tested for a learning disablity as an Adult’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors