best & worst bridesmaid gifts

posted 9 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 3
5823 posts
Bee Keeper

Best: The bride bought me all the makeup the pro used on me!  I could recreate the look anytime I wanted, and it wasn’t really crazy expensive either!

Worst: A sewing kit.  For in case that ugly dress tore (as I was praying it would) so that instead of changing into something flattering (like I hoped to do), I could just sew it up and continue to humiliate myself in my mumu.  An emergency kit with sewing supplies and tampons is not a gift.  It’s fodder.  (Not that it isn’t useful, but I don’t think this should be "the gift" for your BMs….)

Post # 4
754 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2008

I purchased their jewelry.  I also paid for them to get their hair and make-up done.  They were really grateful that I made every attempt to offset the cost of being in my wedding.

Post # 5
1276 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

The coolest thing I ever got was a personalized gift bag for each of us.  It had some make up from Sephora, and it was really clear that she had spent time thinking about what each of us would like.  She also gave us t-shirts, again all different, that she’d found on Etsy.  And then there was some chocolate and other stuff thrown in also.  I just thought it was super thoughtful that she had put so much effort into trying to get us something that we’d each really like.  And I felt like it was a way to let us know how much we each meant to her as friends (which of course is why she wanted us to be in her wedding).

I also think it’s really nice if you want specific hair styles or accessories (jewelry, wraps, etc) to pay for them. In My Humble Opinion this can be done in lieu of a gift, but I still think it’s nice to write a nice card/note individually for everyone.  One thing I personally don’t like is when the bride wraps up the thing she wants everyone to wear and gives it as a present…I don’t know, it’s my thing, but I feel like a gift should be personal. 

I make jewelry as a hobby, and I’ve been thinking of making a personalized necklace and earring for each Bridesmaid or Best Man (not necessarily for the wedding).  But I haven’t decided yet.

Post # 6
7053 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

From my  one of my bff’s I got a monogrammed cusioned plate/dish holder thingie?  I loved it.  I also got from her a fabrege type egg (not a real one but was gorgeous).

Worst:  a pair of fake pearl earrings.

Post # 7
228 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

I am thinking about it and the worst is possibly nothing, and the best was swarovski earrings that could have been worn for the wedding but of course we all wore ours since the jewelry was so beautiful. 

Post # 8
174 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

@ MightySapphire: SO FUNNY!

The only gifts I’ve gotten have been pretty standard, like jewelery. One of my friends also got us these gorgeous little jewelery boxes (I’m not sure if that’s the proper name for them — they’re about the size of a golf ball) and picked out books for each of us that she’d clearly put some thought into.

This is a great thread! I’m looking forward to seeing what everyone else has to say.

Post # 9
279 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2009

Here’s what I got for my b-maids. It seems like a ton of stuff, but I didn’t really spend that much! As you can probably tell, I am having a pink wedding in FL, so my gifts were themed around that.

A Hibiscus/palm trees tote from http://www.tikimaster.com And instead of spending $ to get the bags monogrammed, I DIY’d it and monogrammed each girl’s first initial myself with embroidery thread.  

A small silver purse from http://www.weddingfactorydirect.com with chapstick and Kleenex for the day of – I’ve gotten a lot of totes at weddings, which are nice, but sometimes you need a small bag to carry around your camera, etc. at the reception.

Their jewelry – a necklace/earring set – also from http://www.weddingfactorydirect.com I didn’t get something super expensive, b/c I figured everyone’s tastes are different and they might not wear the jewelry again anyways, so I spent the $ on lots of little things instead of one $100 necklace for each person.

Flip-flops from Target so that they could be comfortable during the reception and kick off their bridesmaid heels! 

Pink hibiscus beach towel from Wal-Mart – I got them for only $3 each!

Pajamas individually picked out for each girl from Target for the sleepover the night before the wedding w/all the b-maids – I got them each a color/style they’d like.

White tank w/Bridesmaid in rhinestones – either to wear w/the PJ pants or to wear for some cute getting ready pics during hair/makeup.

Post # 10
1276 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

kitty25kat225, the PJs are such a great idea!  I’m thinking of doing a night before sleepover, and that sounds so fun.

Post # 11
773 posts
Busy bee

I’ve never been a bridesmaid, but I’ll tell you what I’m giving mine.  I did the generic stuff- I got them each necklaces and earrings to go with their dresses and am paying for their hair and makeup.  The really special gifts that I got them are blurb books made with photos of special times we spent together.  One of my BMs went to high school with me at a boarding school for gifted students, and at the end of our senior year, there was this slideshow of photos from our years there that had everyone in tears.  I contacted some alumni and finally got a picture dvd of the slideshow, and I used those photos to make her book.  Another Bridesmaid or Best Man and I spent a year in France together, so I used photos from that year. 

I’m not sure anyone would say they’re the best gifts ever given, but they will be special!

Post # 12
456 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I’ve never really gotten any gifts that were great, having been in so few wedding thus far. When I was like 5 I was a flower girl and got a doll that played "here comes the bride" when you pushed a button on the back. I can remember having it still in middle school, so I guess I liked that! ^_^ My favorite was probably when the bride paid for my hair/nails/make-up. I’m horrible with hair and nails, so the wedding where that wasn’t done I felt a lot of pressure, and it was too far away from anywhere to have a professional do it.

The worst I got was a really boring (and kinda weirdly boxy) purse with "Beth" monogrammed on it. Not only was it a fairly unattractive purse that I would never have picked out myself, I don’t go by Beth with anyone but my family. I’m Liz with friends, and Elizabeth anywhere that family might get confused. The bride knew that, and knew I don’t even like the name Beth, but did that name anyway.

(note, if your name is Beth, not talking bad about your name. It’s a pretty name, but who I was when I went by that is not who I am now, and I’ve completely disassociated from it. It’s just not *me* anymore.)

Post # 13
456 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

Oh, and thank you to the above poster for linking to that weddingfactorydirect site. I was just wondering if I’d be able to find jewelry sets for reasonable prices! That’s great! Did you like everything you got from them?

Post # 14
349 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2009 - Rancho Bernardo Inn

My favorite gift was an embroidered bathrobe with my name.  We all got matching ones that made for cute pictures, and I still wear mine.

I never got a worse gift, but for one wedding I didn’t get a gift.  I didn’t mind because I knew the budget was tight, but it would have been nice to get a card.  She definitely wasn’t aware/into bridal etiquette or anything, so at the same time it wasn’t surprising. 

Post # 15
279 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2009

@liz.smith – I think the jewelry from Wedding Factory Direct is pretty good, but I wouldn’t buy anything on there that’s too cheap. What I did actually was order like 3 necklace/earring sets I liked from them and then once I got them in the mail, I picked the one I think looked the nicest/the best with the dresses. The one set I didn’t end up picking did look kinda cheap, but I really love the set I ended up getting, I even bought an extra necklace for myself! This is the necklace: http://www.projectwedding.com/photo/list/kitty25kat25?photo_to_show=568295&thumbs_page=3

Like I mentioned, I don’t think the girls will necessarily wear the jewelry again, and there’s 7 of them, so I knew I couldn’t find something they’d all like. I always feel bad when I get an expensive necklace as a bridesmaid gift, but i know it’s not something I’ll likely wear again. And it’s not because it wasn’t a gorgeous necklace, it’s just everyone has different tastes – I was worried even if I got Tiffany’s, someone would just put it away in a drawer.

Post # 16
5399 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’ve never been a Bridesmaid or Best Man, but I think if I were the gifts I would most enjoy would be the ones I could reuse.  That, or helping with the cost of something Bridesmaid or Best Man related e.g. shoes, dress, etc.

The worst would probably be something someone would spend lots of money and I wouldn’t ever use again.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors