(Closed) Best & Worst cruise lines…? ANY CRUISE INFO?

posted 8 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 17
206 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

From what I’ve heard, NCL and Celebrity have a slightly older crowd on them. Celebrity is also a higher end cruis line from what I’ve heard.  Carnival is aimed towards a younger crowd (20’s and 30’s).  Royal Caribbean (which i’ve been on) is between Carnival and Celebrity. I didn’t find a lot of kids on our cruise and it was in August.  The kids that we saw were well behaved.

And like others said, splurge on the balcony, we are doing that for our honeymoon next year. We think that it will be nice to enjoy breakfast on the balcony.  We are going to the Caribbean for 2 weeks at the end of July/beginning of August.

Post # 18
436 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

You should visit with a travel agent.  We found one who was very patient and helpful…our honeymoon was between Christmas and New Years and she tried to find us the best value.  You might think booking through a travel agent is more expensive but I don’t think that’s always the case.

Post # 19
4886 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Celebrity is an amazing cruise line with great options.  We loved the freestyle dining option that allowed us to walk in whenever we wanted and be seated together at a 2 top instead of 6:30pm every single night and sitting with 6 other strangers.  I’d choose that or NCL over the other two for sure. 

Check http://www.cruisecritic.com for all kinds of feedback/message boards/info.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 20
198 posts
Blushing bee

Cunard! They are the best! (No one’s mentioned them….yet)

Post # 21
1577 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I’ve been on two cruises and both were with Carnival.  I really enjoyed it.  We didn’t get bored.. but we had a stop like every day except for one… on the day at sea we were actually exhausted, because we did a lot at each of the ports… ATV tours, Segway tours, etc.  We also found a lot of stuff to do on board.. it’s as fun as you want to make it.  My Fiance has been on 10+ cruises and he says that the Disney cruise was the best he’d been on.

Post # 22
1144 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@HappilyEverAfter54: Carnival usually has a soda plan for like 10 dollars a day you get unlimited soda. They do charge per drink everywhere, its about the price of a moderate club, not a dive bar. Expect 6$ a drink.

The allow 1 bottle of alchol per person, anything beyond that they take it away. I have heard of people silling shampoo bottles (cleaned) with booze… ๐Ÿ™‚ They WILL go through your bags, if you have anything that looks shady just like an airplane expect you dont see your bags until they arrive at your suite.

Feel free to message me if you have more questions.

Post # 23
409 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

One thing to add is take the dining into consideration.  IMO the food is one of the best things on cruises (and as someone mentioned it’s all-inclusive!).  I just love it cause it’s always delicious, it’s a ton of food (like 5 course meals), and it’s fancy (guests dress up and there are usually a couple formal nights).  I just think it’s cool to be pampered for dinner cause i’m on vacation and it’s something different from everyday.

Now of course, I don’t know if you’d even like these fancy/elaborate dinners but figured I’d let you know about some differences between cruise lines.  I’ve been on a bunch of cruiselines (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Norweigan).  All of these cruiselines have the fancy dinners except for Norweigan.  Norweigan has the freestyle cruising (i.e. you can do food the way you want meaning do dinner in the fancier restaurants but pay (like $20 pp), or do dinner in the normal dining room, but probably be amongst people in casual clothes – shorts, tanks, etc).  Still tasty food wherever you go, but if you like dressing up for dinner, you may feel out of place on Norweigan.

Also, on any cruiseline, you never even have to do dinner in one of the dining rooms..if it’s not your thang! ๐Ÿ™‚  All cruiselines have buffets usually near the top deck near the pool which you can go to for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Post # 24
450 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

As a travel agent, not soliciting for the job, I will say… Go with NCL or Celebrity. There will be less kids on both, even though it is summer time. Families gravitate to Disney and Carnival, and it can get crazy. June is hurricane season, but not the height of it. I have sailed on NCL 5 times and Celebrity once, had much more fun on NCL. At 44 i felt out of place on Celebrity and that was just in April, sailed for 7 nights on the Solstice for my birthday. I felt like one of the youngest there, and this was the norm for them. However, I wanted to try it for myself.

Post # 25
480 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I’m going on a cruise for my honeymoon in October! We’re going with Carnival and it leaves from Baltimore for a 7 night cruise. We live in Baltimore so it’s incredibly convenient. It’s actually one of the ones you linked to, goes to Florida and Bahamas. I did insist that we have a balcony!

I went on a Royal Carribean cruise out of Baltimore last July and LOVED it! It was a 9 nighter. There weren’t a bunch of kids and it wasn’t too crowded. I’ve heard that sometimes it’s hard to find deck chairs on Carnival. The exerisions were fun but my favorite was the days at sea. It was really nice not needing to get up at a certain time to make sure we met with our excursion and could lounge on the deck all day. There’s always something to do- a show to watch, movies, game shows, bingo, poker. Also, the food is amazing!

Post # 26
489 posts
Helper bee

I have only been on Carnival and loved my experiences. I know a lot of people want to say that it isn’t a good cruiseline, but I think the service has been spectacular, food was excellent and yes, some people annoyed me, but they would annoy me on any of the lines. I think you need to look at what ports you may want to stop at and do research as to what are the costs involved and I am sure you figure out what cruise is right for you.Everyone here will have different views, so it is hard to figure it all out. I personally like days at sea as I find them so relaxing. If you have a lot of ports and you do an excursion at each port, you are going to get very tired. And remember, you don’t necessarily have to do an excursion everywhere. Some ports are good at exploring by yourself and that can be cheaper.

Definitely check out cruisecritic.com, I have gotten so much good information from there. And as a pp said, the trip will be what you make it. If you go in thinking it will be fun, it will. try new things, especially with food as most of it is free. I am sure what you pick will be a lot of fun because you and your Fiance will be able to get away from it all.

Post # 27
2814 posts
Sugar bee

We sailed Carnival out of Baltimore and LOVED it!  There was plenty of things for adults only and we hardly ever ran into kids.  I know someone else that sailed Royal Caribbean and hated it.  He said there weren’t very many activities…only bingo. 

Post # 30
489 posts
Helper bee

they have so many different excursions out there because some of those boring ones are perfect for the not so adventurous people. I like the beach excursions, but yes, that is an awful lot, is that at the Atlantis resort? I heard that is expensive.

You should look at the excursions offered and check out people’s reviews on cruisecritic.com.

Post # 31
9 posts
Newbee

Def book some of your excursions before you go on the trip! If you book through the cruiseline they are usually super expensive and you can find a lot of the same things online before you go on vacation. I have been on 7 cruises and had AWESOME shore excursions everytime and NEVER booked through the ship. But be sure you look up reviews before you go and do you research. And YES you NEED A PASSPORT! And be sure to put in your application early so you are sure to get it in time ๐Ÿ™‚

The topic ‘Best & Worst cruise lines…? ANY CRUISE INFO?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors